Thanks
    EP Points

Default Low FPS in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows on Desmume

System Specs:
    Spoiler warning:
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    Processors: AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core ~2.6GHz
    RAM: 2.5GB

I seem to be having trouble with DoS FPS dropping in certain parts while using Desmume. It mainly seems to happen in the larger areas and the town where you can buy weapons and armor. Other then that the game runs fine, except for the character moving slowly, even though the rest of the game is running smoothly. Anyone have any recommendations for stopping the FPS drop?

inb4 use no$gba I've tried it out and refuse to use it.

"When government surveillance and intimidation is called "freedom from terrorism" or "liberation from crime", freedom and liberty have become words without meanings."
    ~ Chad Dumier, "Deus Ex"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom View Post
    System Specs:
    Spoiler warning:
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    Processors: AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core ~2.6GHz
    RAM: 2.5GB

I seem to be having trouble with DoS FPS dropping in certain parts while using Desmume. It mainly seems to happen in the larger areas and the town where you can buy weapons and armor. Other then that the game runs fine, except for the character moving slowly, even though the rest of the game is running smoothly. Anyone have any recommendations for stopping the FPS drop?

inb4 use no$gba I've tried it out and refuse to use it.
    2 questions.
    1.) Do you use frame skips?
    2.) Do you have DeSmuME 9.8?

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    2 questions.
    1.) Do you use frame skips?
    2.) Do you have DeSmuME 9.8?
    Yup using 9.8 and I have framskips set to 9, because out of all the other options (0-9) it seems to get the least slow (also have limit frame skipping unchecked).

I can take a few quick pictures of the important config screens if that'll help.

"When government surveillance and intimidation is called "freedom from terrorism" or "liberation from crime", freedom and liberty have become words without meanings."
    ~ Chad Dumier, "Deus Ex"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom View Post
    Yup using 9.8 and I have framskips set to 9, because out of all the other options (0-9) it seems to get the least slow (also have limit frame skipping unchecked).

I can take a few quick pictures of the important config screens if that'll help.
    Can you do so?
    It might help me, or another person who's willing to help.

I just got to wonder why so high on the frame skip, 0-2 works just fine on my HP laptop with a Intel duo-core 2.00 .

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Can you do so?
    It might help me, or another person who's willing to help.

I just got to wonder why so high on the frame skip, 0-2 works just fine on my HP laptop with a Intel duo-core 2.00 .
    I mainly went so high because it seemed like I got the best FPS with it set that way, but 2 wasn't bad either when I tried it. It might also be of note the DoS is the only DS game I've played that has given my any FPS problems.

Configuration Snapshots
    Spoiler warning:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soundsettings.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	33960

Name:	emulationsettings.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	33961

Name:	3dsettingsj.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	33962

BTW what game is your avatar and signature from?

~ Chad Dumier, "Deus Ex"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Gosh......
    It seems your configurations was exactly like I thought they would be, I guess it's just the emulator itself, because I do know what you mean on the frame lag.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ah well no big deal its still playable and fun just wanted to see if there was a way to fix it. I've tried it on no$gba and it works better but I don't want to lose my save states.

~ Chad Dumier, "Deus Ex"

Thanks
    EP Points

Before I say anything: never used Desmume. I've had no problems with no$, and have a flash cart to play DS games with anyways.

What are the other choices for the Renderer dropdown? You've got a fairly powerful video card, so I don't see any reason to be using a soft video plugin. Soft = runs completely in software, so it's putting all the strain on your CPU and almost none on the video card.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Colamisu View Post
    Before I say anything: never used Desmume. I've had no problems with no$, and have a flash cart to play DS games with anyways.

What are the other choices for the Renderer dropdown? You've got a fairly powerful video card, so I don't see any reason to be using a soft video plugin. Soft = runs completely in software, so it's putting all the strain on your CPU and almost none on the video card.
    I can't remember but I believe I just changed when messing with the config to see how it ran and just never changed it.

~ Chad Dumier, "Deus Ex"