Thread: Want To Build A New PC

Thanks
    EP Points

Question Want To Build A New PC

Ok guys I need your help, I want to build a new PC but I'm not very good at doing it cheap. I used to get my dads hand-me-downs when he'd upgrade his, but since I no longer live with him he gives them to my stepbrother. The last time I bought a new anything was probably 2008, and although I've been able to play the new games that have come out, I think its time to upgrade. So here's what I have right now;

Disc Drives: Total 3 (500GB, and 2 60GB)
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    Processors: AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core ~2.6GHz
    RAM: 2.5GB
    MOBO: A8N32-SLI Deluxe

I'd like to limit myself to $700 or $800 if possible so it doesn't take me forever to save up. I've asked elsewhere and have been told I only need to upgrade my video card, but I would also like to upgrade my processor and add more RAM.

This is the new video card that was recommended to me, Radeon HD 6670.

"When government surveillance and intimidation is called "freedom from terrorism" or "liberation from crime", freedom and liberty have become words without meanings."
    ~ Chad Dumier, "Deus Ex"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom View Post
    Ok guys I need your help, I want to build a new PC but I'm not very good at doing it cheap. I used to get my dads hand-me-downs when he'd upgrade his, but since I no longer live with him he gives them to my stepbrother. The last time I bought a new anything was probably 2008, and although I've been able to play the new games that have come out, I think its time to upgrade. So here's what I have right now;

Disc Drives: Total 3 (500GB, and 2 60GB)
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    Processors: AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core ~2.6GHz
    RAM: 2.5GB
    MOBO: A8N32-SLI Deluxe

I'd like to limit myself to $700 or $800 if possible so it doesn't take me forever to save up. I've asked elsewhere and have been told I only need to upgrade my video card, but I would also like to upgrade my processor and add more RAM.

This is the new video card that was recommended to me, Radeon HD 6670.
    WHOA! i wish i had that kind of budget. you'll want to get the 64 bit pro version of Win7 if you want a good gaming computer since 32 bit only has 4GB capability. you'll want to see how much RAM the MoBO in the existing build can take before an upgrade or new build. DDR3 RAM or something else? OK, i just got on newegg and looked up the MoBo, it can only use 4 GB of RAM so that's something to upgrade. you'll want maybe 8 GB for gaming, stay away from Foxconn MoBos as they're complete crap. you could keep the CPU for a while as it's decent. the new 8 core 3.9GHz AMD CPU is good for servers but can also be purposed for gaming. 32 GBs of RAM is the maximum amount of RAM i can find that MoBos can take, although a sever MoBo will probably take more. go for a 10k RPM 1.5TB or more HDD if you plan to upgrade, although the ones you have now are adequate. the 8 core 3.9GHz CPU is 300, the MoBos i have found 32GB are 50 and under for cheap ones, if you stick with the keyboards, monitors, cables, HDDs, and GPU you have, it will cost about 600 for the CPU and RAM, and it comes out to about 800 if you get a new OS and MoBo. this is just an estimate, but i can see why you would not want to spend 800 on a CPU and RAM, but like i said, you COULD recycle a good deal of your existing components (HDDs, GPU, optical drives, and other cards you have installed) alternately you could go for a cheaper CPU and forgo the Pro edition for 64 bit home premium, going with 16GBs of RAM or 8, but still, you should keep your hard drives over from one build to the next unless you simply want another PC in which case you would want to get at least a 5400 RPM HDD at like 750GB HDD, and maybe an SSD on write protection after you install the OS. if you want a REALLY secure OS, just get a Chromebook and that'll solve any crashing problems. i'm sorry if this became confusing, i got an information overload and i don't want to mess up by giving too little info. if you need clarification just ask i'm here to help.

Thanks
    EP Points

Intel i5 2700k, Gigabyte/Asus motherboard, ATX preferred, 8GB-16GB (Probably only need 8GB) DDR3 RAM, the 6670 you've been recommended is pretty mid range. I have a 5770 and it's not too great. I know it's a generation behind what you've been recommended, but still, I'd get a 560 Ti if I were you. Don't forget a quality PSU, that's always vital. Something like a 700W Corsair or CoolerMaster.

I'd keep your 3 SATA HDDs and like GSB said get an SSD, 120GB drives are affordable these days. Simply put your OS on there along with any games you plan to play regularly. Use the 3 500GBs for storage.

Thanks
    EP Points

I would suggest going with an amd processor and an ati gpu.

Processor: AMD bulldozer fx-4 4100 3.6ghz ($100)
    Motherboard: A basic motherboard with overclocking features ($100)
    Memory: 8gb Corsair Vengeance ($90) Which are enough for gaming (current) and even for multimedia
    Hard Drive: 1Tb Western Digital Caviar black 6gb/s ($100)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX500 modular 80+ bronze 500W ( not sli/crossfire capable ) ($70)
    Graphics card: Msi 7950 3Gb ($250)
    Case: This comes down to your liking ($90)

Regarding the processor getting an intel core i5 3570k of 4570k ( most common ) would mean 2.5x the price of the 4100. In terms of raw power intel beats amd by a mile but for everyday use and gaming is enough.
    The is no room for an ssd but a 7950 is way much better than a 6670 ( you'll play crisis 3 maxed out @ a resolution of 1920 x 1080 ). Also you will be having a stock cooler which will not give you a lot of overclocking headroom.
    If you can squeeze just a $150 more you could get a better cooler and an ssd 120gb ( something around that ) . If you get an ssd you could then go for a 1TB caviar green/blue which is cheaper and you could use if for storage.
    Hope this has been of help.

Lukee

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by LukeeVassallo View Post
    I would suggest going with an amd processor and an ati gpu.

Processor: AMD bulldozer fx-4 4100 3.6ghz ($100)
    Motherboard: A basic motherboard with overclocking features ($100)
    Memory: 8gb Corsair Vengeance ($90) Which are enough for gaming (current) and even for multimedia
    Hard Drive: 1Tb Western Digital Caviar black 6gb/s ($100)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX500 modular 80+ bronze 500W ( not sli/crossfire capable ) ($70)
    Graphics card: Msi 7950 3Gb ($250)
    Case: This comes down to your liking ($90)

Regarding the processor getting an intel core i5 3570k of 4570k ( most common ) would mean 2.5x the price of the 4100. In terms of raw power intel beats amd by a mile but for everyday use and gaming is enough.
    The is no room for an ssd but a 7950 is way much better than a 6670 ( you'll play crisis 3 maxed out @ a resolution of 1920 x 1080 ). Also you will be having a stock cooler which will not give you a lot of overclocking headroom.
    If you can squeeze just a $150 more you could get a better cooler and an ssd 120gb ( something around that ) . If you get an ssd you could then go for a 1TB caviar green/blue which is cheaper and you could use if for storage.
    Hope this has been of help.

Lukee
    Please don't revive old threads. This is a year old - I'm sure he's built a PC by now.

NOT CLOSED..
    Last edited by Zaladane; 27th-August-2013 at 18:41.

Thanks
    EP Points

oh sry my bad didn't see the date :/