Thread: HOW TO RUN 100VOLT JAP DREAMCAST IN AUSTRALIA WITH OUR 240VOLTS?? - Advice Required!

Thanks

Default HOW TO RUN 100VOLT JAP DREAMCAST IN AUSTRALIA WITH OUR 240VOLTS?? - Advice Required!

Hi there people.

Ive purchased a 2nd dreamcast as a back up machine

However it is a Japanese machine, and i didnt realise (and wasnt advised! Thank you seller grr) that it runs on 100volts ac power.
    In Australia we have 240volts ac power.

Ive been advised I'll need a step-down transformer to run it through,
    to take the power input from 240 and step it down to 100v to power this beast.

However Im having a hard time sourcing an appropriate transformer!
    Ive found a couple but they convert 240v to 110v....
    I fear if i used that and powered up the jap dreamcast with 110volts i will blow it up.

Any help/advice would be great!!
    Cheers

*HAPPY GAMING*

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I should be getting a HKT-3000 (JPN) Dreamcast soon, and I live in Australia.

Anyway, I've had an SCPH-1000 (JPN) Playstation for many years, running it off a Minwa (brand) step-down converter with fuse protection.

Converter info:
    Brand/Model: Minwa/MW65W
    Input: 220/240v AC 65w 50Hz.
    Output: 110/120v AC 60Hz for products up to 65w.

SCPH-1000 info:
    *100v
    *10.5w
    *50/60Hz

HKT-3000 info:
    *100v
    *22w
    *50/60Hz

Based on this info, I assume I'll have no problems using my current converter for the Dreamcast........because I've never had any issues running the Playstation, and the 22w is still well within the 65w the converter can provide

Edit: Australian AC is 230v +/-10v afaik. And I assume Japanese AC is 100v +/-10v.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 24th-July-2012 at 07:26.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Based on this info, I assume I'll have no problems using my current converter for the Dreamcast........because I've never had any issues running the Playstation, and the 22w is still well within the 65w the converter can provide
    This; so long as the adapter limits the voltage used by your device properly (and seeing as it works fine with your PS1 I don't see why it wouldn't on another JP device) it should be fine. Judging from the specs you posted and my (limited) knowledge of electronics in general I can't see how it would overload or damage your dreamcast.

That said seems like an appropriate solution for the OP
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Get 1 of These:

IMG_0048.jpg