Thread: Question/Help Wanted (GBA Rom)

Thanks

Default Question/Help Wanted (GBA Rom)

Hi, I believe this is the right place to post this but i'm extremely new.

I know there is the rom for the GBA version of Magi Nation in japanese on this website but I was wondering if there was anybody who might've translated it? or is working on doing so? I'm a longstanding fan of the series and i'd love to play this but I can't read japanese whatsoever. Any help on answering this for me would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

Thanks
    EP Points

According to a Magi Nation wiki I found using google;

Magi-Nation for Game Boy Advance, is an enhanced remake of the Magi-Nation game for Game Boy Color. It was only released in Japan and was never translated, although it has been discovered that much of the GBC games script is contained within the GBA, it was never finished.
    Source: http://magination.wikia.com/wiki/Magi-Nation_(GBA)
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Thank you for the response MaslowK, unfortunately i've seen that once or twice myself but unfortunately I am not tech savvy and have no idea how to manipulate/hack a rom myself to rearrange it to be as such.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I know that at least with SNES and GBC roms you can open them in a hex editor and find dialogue text displayed in plain text and edit it as such. It's actually fairly simple to search for a particular string of text from a game and then simply edit it to whatever you want this way, though formatting can be an issue when your replacement text contains more or less characters than the original text. I imagine with a japanese rom you would find the japanese text this way (though it could work differently, who knows), and replace it with the english text. Though of course, this would require knowing how to read japanese to identify which text to replace with which english text

In any case if you're interested in checking this out on english roms (it's pretty interesting) you could check out the hex editor XVI32 and try loading a few games in it; http://www.handshake.de/user/chmaas/...load/xvi32.zip

Try hitting CTRL+F and selecting "Text string" with the rom loaded and typing in some text from the game
    Last edited by MaslowK; 18th-July-2012 at 05:25.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

What MaslowK says works only for games that don't compress their data. The thing about rom hacking is that not only most games DO compress the data (rendering hex editors useless) they also invent a method of compression for themselves that works only for the said game so one part of the romhacker's job is to reverse engineer the compression method. Since you're not tech-savvy I wouldn't think you would be interested, but you can check these manuals for GBA, or start out with reading this guide for beginners.

Or you can just forget about the GBA version and play the GBC one.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gezegond For This Useful Post: