Thread: ps2 gameshark 2.1 won't load

Thanks
    EP Points

Default ps2 gameshark 2.1 won't load

ok so i just bought a gameshrak V2 2.1 from EB games for $2 (it was old stock) and it wont load in my ps2 (gives me the red "insert playstation format disc") i am aware this is a common problem but is there a way to fix it? i'm using a PS2 fat and the gameshark Memory card is missing

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

I run a v3.4 on mine and have had no problems, only needed resurfacing once; may want to look into that. You won't make it very far without the dongle however.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Without the memcard it's no good anyway even if you do manage to boot it up

I still have the Action Replay V2 but booting without the dongle (GameShark/Action Replay memcard) just gives an error that the dongle is missing and does not let you do anything else

Action Replay is exactly the same cheat system, it's just the EU version

Action Replay Max and Codebreaker are the beter options and both will allow you to mod the old PS2 with FreebootMC and ESR, also both do not need a dongle

If you already have FBMC/ESR you can boot the elf file of Codebreaker

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Without the memcard it's no good anyway even if you do manage to boot it up

I still have the Action Replay V2 but booting without the dongle (GameShark/Action Replay memcard) just gives an error that the dongle is missing and does not let you do anything else

Action Replay is exactly the same cheat system, it's just the EU version

Action Replay Max and Codebreaker are the beter options and both will allow you to mod the old PS2 with FreebootMC and ESR, also both do not need a dongle

If you already have FBMC/ESR you can boot the elf file of Codebreaker
    i actually already have Codebreaker and Action replay, they are not the same system at all, not even the same company. the only reason i want the gameshark is because it has different codes than te other 2, each cheat device has some exclusive codes

but yeah my action replay is the newest kind that doesnt need a memory dongle (or come with one) and my codebreaker is an .elf file

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

ActionReplay & GameShark have always been by Datel (GameShark has used a sub company name at times but the main company has always been datel and use the exact same code system) nowerdays they are both known as Action Replay Max, before the Max arrived it was GameShark in the US and Action Replay in EU countries
    CodeBreaker & Xploder are also both by the same people though under different names, they are still the same cheat system

You can convert most codes between CodeBreaker and Action Replay/GameShark V2 it can be a bit tricky though with the Master Codes, but if the game already has a CodeBreaker code then you don't need to convert the Master code, just the main codes, best to convert to raw first on a code you have on both cheat systems (just gives you a starting point) they should be the same code when in raw format, after that you can get cracking converting those

You can get Omniconvert from http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?72999 the link also has a basic guide for converting codes aswell
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-July-2012 at 19:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    ActionReplay & GameShark have always been by Datel (GameShark has used a sub company name at times but the main company has always been datel and use the exact same code system) nowerdays they are both known as Action Replay Max, before the Max arrived it was GameShark in the US and Action Replay in EU countries
    CodeBreaker & Xploder are also both by the same people though under different names, they are still the same cheat system

You can convert most codes between CodeBreaker and Action Replay/GameShark V2 it can be a bit tricky though with the Master Codes, but if the game already has a CodeBreaker code then you don't need to convert the Master code, just the main codes, best to convert to raw first on a code you have on both cheat systems (just gives you a starting point) they should be the same code when in raw format, after that you can get cracking converting those

You can get Omniconvert from http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?72999 the link also has a basic guide for converting codes aswell
    Gameshark is owned by Madcatz and Action replay by Datel, so still not the same, similar though (unless madcatz is owned by datel then, my bad)

and converting codes is a good idea, i more or less just wanted to actually have a working shark though

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Madcatz got the GameShark copyrights from Datel just a few years back so no not the same company but originally made and created by Datel, if you ran GameShark and Action Replay (same versions) they are identical except one has PAL codes and the other has NTSC codes, but the format is the same and the PAL Action Replay codes can be used on the GameShark and vice versa

GameShark itself is out of production from datel nowerdays (you can still get none Max codes from the Codejunkies web site though and those are GameShark codes)

As for having a working shark you need to buy a dongle for it (again an Action Replay V2 or Gameshark V2 dongle will do, those are no different, the discs are though as they are for different regions, though can be used for any region game) [Action Replay Dongles will have preloaded PAL codes though same as Shark dongles will have NTSC codes]

The Gameshark/Action Replay (V2) dongles are not memory cards though, even though they do plug into the memcard slot, they are only used with the Cheats CD's and serve no other purpose, anotherwords you can't even use a standard PS2 memcard with the cheat CD's as a dongle (I used to have 2 of the dongles but alas I can only find the one now, I must of given one away, I don't remember, both came with the Action Replay V2 2.x though not a GameShark V2 2.x)

P.S. InterAct was the original Company name used in the US, this is just a part of Datel though, being one in the same company

Interact, the distributors for GameShark, went out of business in 2005 and their parent company sold the GameShark brand name to Mad Catz for US$5 million. Currently Datel are selling that product under their Action Replay brand.
    Didn't think it was that long back , found it kinda interesting rather than "I told you so" seen as I was not totally correct as InterAct was just a distributor for the GameShark rather than a sub company part of Datel
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-July-2012 at 20:37.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

hmm.. so were both right lol

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you say so

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]