Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to burn 1.2GB Dreamcast game onto a 700mb CD-R??

Thanks

Cool, that explains why my games aren't booting then, Ive got the latest model Dreamcast. My next question is, can you remove the part of the .cdi that makes it selfboot so i can run games with something like the utopia disc? I've found plenty of guides on how to make a disc selfboot, but nothing on how to remove it.

I see things you people wouldnt believe...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by bennett_2009 View Post
    Cool, that explains why my games aren't booting then, Ive got the latest model Dreamcast. My next question is, can you remove the part of the .cdi that makes it selfboot so i can run games with something like the utopia disc? I've found plenty of guides on how to make a disc selfboot, but nothing on how to remove it.
    Why would you want to do that? But all you have to do is open the image with something like UltraISO and extract the data track. Then burn it to a disc. But why?

Thanks

Because according to the guide previously linked, my model dreamcast won't support selfboot burns. I've tried a game I know was burned ok as it boots on a friends system no problem, but it's a non starter, and when I try to boot a selfboot game through utopia it fails to load, presumably because selfboot discs won't read properly under a boot disc?

I wish I didn't have to, it's a fuss but I have a few games I want to play so it's a minor inconvenience I suppose, unless there is another guru out there who can further advise me of a better plan?

I appreciate your responses guys, it's always nice to be part of a helpful forum

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh I see. Well try what I just suggested and see if you have any luck.

Thanks

Ive tried mounting the .cdi with a program called magic iso which was ok, the drive saw it and all was well. I tried to create another image using imgburn, which resulted in a file that read as having only 1 session in Disc Juggler, which i understand means that the selfboot part is no longer there. Burned it, booted utopia, put the disc in and......

nothing, just sorta hangs there and twitches

ive probably not done the extracting bit properly, and made a bad disc image. Any thoughts on the best way to pull this off?

Cheers

Thanks

Im actually completely confused now...I just checked my Dreamcast against Zorlons guide (http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-Compatibility) and it appears that my machine should in fact be Mil-CD compatible so maybe i am just burning them incorrectly? However, i have burned them in the past and never had a problem. Are there issues burning dreamcast games in a 64 bit windows 7 environment? the last time i burned DC games successfully was in the Windows XP days.

Thanks
    EP Points

What version do you have Mate?

Thanks

I have a PAL 3030

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Im actually completely confused now...I just checked my Dreamcast against Zorlons guide (http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-Compatibility) and it appears that my machine should in fact be Mil-CD compatible so maybe i am just burning them incorrectly? However, i have burned them in the past and never had a problem. Are there issues burning dreamcast games in a 64 bit windows 7 environment? the last time i burned DC games successfully was in the Windows XP days.
    I thought all PAL DC's were Mil-CD

When you say you've "burned them in the past and never had a problem" do you mean no problem with your current console?
    If so it's possible you may have a laser issue (it may be working sometimes with some media).

As for burning stuff on a newer OS/hardware............make sure you're burning at the lowest possible speed (and not at 8x or 16x).

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    When you say you've "burned them in the past and never had a problem" do you mean no problem with your current console?
    If so it's possible you may have a laser issue (it may be working sometimes with some media).
    ^this. I've burned multiple copies of certain games after the first one or two don't work, and then the ones that didn't work at first will randomly start working later after a few tries.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

When I say I've burned them in the past, I mean that a good few years ago I had a dreamcast and a win xp machine, and using discjuggler and the settings I earlier described my burns were fine. That machine got lost in a house move, and I only recently picked this one up. I managed to find one old disc, that being a burn of shenmue and it boots fine, as do all the originals I now own with this new system. Additionally, I found an old utopia boot disc and that boots fine too.

I'm thinking there must be some problem in the burning phase with this latest attempt I've been making, as I don't believe there is a laser issue, otherwise I think the disc reading would be a lot more sporadic.

Obviously I thought that the machine was just Mil-CD incompatible, but after some helpful pointers here I have discover that is clearly not the case. I'm perplexed, this is the first issue I have ever had when it comes to burning games and I'm fast running out of ideas.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

When I say I've burned them in the past, I mean that a good few years ago I had a dreamcast and a win xp machine, and using discjuggler and the settings I earlier described my burns were fine. That machine got lost in a house move, and I only recently picked this one up. I managed to find one old disc, that being a burn of shenmue and it boots fine, as do all the originals I now own with this new system. Additionally, I found an old utopia boot disc and that boots fine too.

I'm thinking there must be some problem in the burning phase with this latest attempt I've been making, as I don't believe there is a laser issue, otherwise I think the disc reading would be a lot more sporadic.

Obviously I thought that the machine was just Mil-CD incompatible, but after some helpful pointers here I have discover that is clearly not the case. I'm perplexed, this is the first issue I have ever had when it comes to burning games and I'm fast running out of ideas.
    Are you burning the same brand (and place of manufacture) of media you used years ago?
    Some brands will have media that is made in India now (and you may still be able to get Singapore stuff)......it's best to avoid Indian made media full stop

And are you burning at the same speed you did years ago? (some modern burners won't burn at 4x speed, which can be a pain)

Thanks

No, I'm using different media, mainly because the old CD's I used are not available these days. However, I have no memory of a dreamcast ever being that fussy with media, though I do appreciate that these days the discs are pretty crappy. I have tried Verbs, Sony, TDK's and Ritek, all resulting in failure. I have tried 2 different burners, a Pioneer 216 and my all singing all dancing Lite On iHas 624. I have burned at varying speeds too. See why I'm confused, ive tried all kinds of combos and I'm still getting nowhere lol

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No, I'm using different media, mainly because the old CD's I used are not available these days. However, I have no memory of a dreamcast ever being that fussy with media, though I do appreciate that these days the discs are pretty crappy. I have tried Verbs, Sony, TDK's and Ritek, all resulting in failure. I have tried 2 different burners, a Pioneer 216 and my all singing all dancing Lite On iHas 624. I have burned at varying speeds too. See why I'm confused, ive tried all kinds of combos and I'm still getting nowhere lol
    Media can be a factor even with the Dreamcast, most the cheaper media though may work has a tendacy of going corrupt easier for one reason or another

Anyway if you have had games running fine and can't seem to burn them correctly any more it may be failing either because of drivers installed via CD burning software or the burning hardware may also be at falt

If older burns are not working correctly aswell it may be that the Dreamcast laser needs a lil tune, by turning the pot by minute rotations, usually this is on the ribbon that goes to the laser, kinda looks like a philips screw top (cross headed screw top)

as for burning ImgBurn (make sure you have the Disc Juggler dll in the same folder ImgBurn is stored for it to work correctly) is a very good choice or DiscJuggler if you have it (burning speed stick to 1x in the burning software, it will auto adjust the speed to the slowest your hardware can burn at)

If you have been using DiscJuggler and when asked to repair the image you have said yes this will ruin the burn, you must always say no to that question when you burn Dreamcast games

For settings in both keep it at the default setup (except burning speed)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-July-2012 at 16:34.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hi Zorlon,

i dont put this down to hardware i.e. my drive i am using for burning as i have tried 2 different drives, both of which have no issue burning anything else. In addition, my old burn of shenmue is booting just fine in this new dreamcast, so im assuming from this that its a problem with the burning process.

I have manually placed the additional files in the imgburn directory but this is producing coasters, and im having no luck with discjuggler either with all of the above mentioned. Im beginning to think that this is just not my venture lol, but ill keep you posted if i manage to rectify the problem.

Again, thanks to all for your suggestions and information