Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to burn 1.2GB Dreamcast game onto a 700mb CD-R??

Thanks
    EP Points

I use Discjuggler to burn the .gdi Images for Dreamcast and works fine

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dave The Man View Post
    I use Discjuggler to burn the .gdi Images for Dreamcast and works fine
    You lie because GDI images are apx 1.2GB and are not compatible with any CD burning software/hardware, you would require a GD-Rom wrighter and blank GD-R discs that are both near impossible to find and would cost a rather large amount (the GD stands for Gigabyte Disc, an inner layer of 1GB (hence GD) and outer layer of standard CD of apx 200MB, often used just for music tracks but sometimes had PC files on there, though no standard PC drive can read the inner layer, but can read the standard CD outer layer)

I'm guessing a mojor error rather than a lie

cdi images are Discjuggler images and can be burned freely with either ImgBurn or the trial version of Discjuggler, but I would recomend ImgBurn nowerdays as it has more image compatibility, as in it doesn't just support Dreamcast cdi images but also multi session bin+cue images that no other burning software does, the only image format I wouldn't be 100% sure with ImgBurn (mostly because I have not tried) would be nrg format ones (Nero) but you can mount those with D-Tools and use ImgBurn to copy directly from the virtual drive to a CD-R, the same with those Alcohol and CloneCD images though nowerdays Nero Alcohol and CloneCD images are hardly ever used for Dreamcast images, most cdi and a few of the newer images are in bin+cue (selfboot)

Be carefull if you come accross a bin+cue format though and check the cue file with notepad and make sure it has more than one session in it, as bin+cue format used to only ever be a single session none bootable disc format for use with either a mod chip or used via the Utopia boot CD

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks guys, Im gonna try out Discjuggler and see how it goes.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    You lie because GDI images are apx 1.2GB and are not compatible with any CD burning software/hardware, you would require a GD-Rom wrighter and blank GD-R discs that are both near impossible to find and would cost a rather large amount (the GD stands for Gigabyte Disc, an inner layer of 1GB (hence GD) and outer layer of standard CD of apx 200MB, often used just for music tracks but sometimes had PC files on there, though no standard PC drive can read the inner layer, but can read the standard CD outer layer)

I'm guessing a mojor error rather than a lie

cdi images are Discjuggler images and can be burned freely with either ImgBurn or the trial version of Discjuggler, but I would recomend ImgBurn nowerdays as it has more image compatibility, as in it doesn't just support Dreamcast cdi images but also multi session bin+cue images that no other burning software does, the only image format I wouldn't be 100% sure with ImgBurn (mostly because I have not tried) would be nrg format ones (Nero) but you can mount those with D-Tools and use ImgBurn to copy directly from the virtual drive to a CD-R, the same with those Alcohol and CloneCD images though nowerdays Nero Alcohol and CloneCD images are hardly ever used for Dreamcast images, most cdi and a few of the newer images are in bin+cue (selfboot)

Be carefull if you come accross a bin+cue format though and check the cue file with notepad and make sure it has more than one session in it, as bin+cue format used to only ever be a single session none bootable disc format for use with either a mod chip or used via the Utopia boot CD
    Woops I mean .CDI not .GDI as I pressed the Wrong One again.

Well I burn .CDI Files quite Fine with Discjuggler.

That was Embarssing

Thanks

Ok well I downloaded DiscJuggler and trying to burn shenmue, its read my drive and says I have bland CD which I just inserted. but the Start button stay blank for some reason? any help?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GTA656 View Post
    Ok well I downloaded DiscJuggler and trying to burn shenmue, its read my drive and says I have bland CD which I just inserted. but the Start button stay blank for some reason? any help?
    Not Sure what you mean. Can you show us some Screenshots of what you mean please

Thanks

No worries got it burned and tested on Dreamcast all working

Thanks

Btw does anyone know if its possible to play a Jap DC ISO game on a PAL console?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GTA656 View Post
    Btw does anyone know if its possible to play a Jap DC ISO game on a PAL console?
    Yes they'll work fine. Region locking was removed when hacking the game into a selfbooting disc image.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Yes they'll work fine. Region locking was removed when hacking the game into a selfbooting disc image.
    That's brilliant thanks man.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quick guide to DiscJuggler (trial version)

first pick the burn from CD image option

Ignore message about burning size limit (just hit OK when prompted (think it's a 700MB limit I don't remember off hand))

find the option to set overburn to on (sorry I don't rember the location of the option offhand)

select the cdi image

If asked to repair a CD image say no (alot of CD images will ask this (if you say yes it messes up the selfboot session and makes the game unbootable))

(free version you do not need to set a burn speed, it will always atempt to burn at the slowest speed anyway) paid version set the burn speed to x1

insert your blank CD

hit the burn button

wait for the thing to complete

pop your newly burned CD into the good olde Dreamcast and enjoy

P.S. I originally burned Shenmue via DiscJuggler (Trial version) years ago and everything went fine, newer burns I done with ImgBurn, this includes Shenmue and Shenmue II, both PAL (Not that you have much choice with Shenmue II)

P.P.S. The limit of 700MB or whatever it was does not reflect on the size of the CD image, as the contents for exaqmple of a 750MB CD image will be less than 750MB
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-July-2012 at 17:18.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thats great cheer Zorlon

Thanks

This was handy, and I completely forgot about D.J. for D.C.

Thanks

Hi Zorlon,

you appear to be the resident guru on this subject so i was hoping you could help me out. Ive been out of the Dreamcast scene now for some years, so i tried to burn the .cdi files in the same was as i did before. I will break this down as follows:

My System running Windows 7 64 bit

Attempt 1:

Discjuggler 6 with the following settings -

Clicked advanced, and set the following:

1) Mode: Mode 2
    2) Offset: 0
    3) Block: 2336
    4) TOC: CD-XA
    5) Misc - Overburn Disc is ticked and Add post gap
    6) Set speed to lowest in action

This resulted in failure. I tried burns with alternative block numbers which resulted in failure. I also adjusted the TOC type to all settings and all burns failed.

Attempt 2:

Imgburn with the required additional files downloaded from your link

Imgburn successfully burned the game but the dreamcast fails to boot.

I am wondering if i am doing something fundamentally wrong here, or if im just being a tit and missing something simple out. Back when i was into the dreamcast first time around, i remember there was talk that only certain models of dreamcast could actually boot burned discs, is that the case or was that rumour mongering at its finest?

I appreciate any guidance you can offer on this

I see things you people wouldnt believe...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by bennett_2009 View Post
    Back when i was into the dreamcast first time around, i remember there was talk that only certain models of dreamcast could actually boot burned discs, is that the case or was that rumour mongering at its finest?
    This is true; the newest models won't boot selfboot cdi image type burned games. Here's a thread on the subject, funny enough, by Zorlon; http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-Compatibility
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"