Thread: overheating possible when gaming?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default overheating possible when gaming?

Whenever I am playing a game (it doesn't matter whether it's a real game or emulated), the graphic card gets hotter and hotter (slowly). Could it overheat at any point really? Is gradual heat rising normal? I mean, it takes a lot of time for it to get high. (Lowest was in the 30's, while the) Highest was probably in the 80's. I didn't wanna venture in the 100's or anything.

I basically have a desktop:
    3ghz (dual core processor I believe, or was that my old pc? Can't remember...)
    2gigs

Nvidia GeForce GTX 550ti

And I monitor the heat with the program HWMonitor Fan.

Thanks
    EP Points

This is normal; depending on how resource intensive said games are how hot it gets will vary. As long as they don't cross too far over 90 celsius they'll generally perform fine, though keep in mind the hotter it's running the shorter lifespan the card will have overall.

As far as overheating to the point it causes immediate permanent damage, your video card has the same safeguards built in as your CPU, that is, if it does get to a point where it's too hot, it'll either lower its clockspeed or shut itself down entirely (most likely shutting down the entire computer in the process to avoid heat damage).

tldr; has built in safeguards, not likely to damage itself unless there's heavy dust buildup/poor case design/GPU overclocking involved.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 4th-July-2012 at 00:45.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

I see. That eases my mind. I was worried that it could screw up my pc big time. As for the life time of any card, I don't play so as to warrant a new card in the future. Well, not anytime soon, as I'm mostly playing Madden 11 or NCAA 11 on my PS2. Those games are so addictive...

Thanks

you could install an additional fan ... it doesen't hurt
    just an ordinary gamer grrrl

Thanks

get some external fans aswell as extra internal ones. that keeps the stress off the PSU as long as you draw the external fans power from a wall outlet. it will increase hardware life and cut down on your electric bill as long as you set it up to an arduino heat sensor