Thread: In Epsxe, Is It Possible To..

Thanks

Question In Epsxe, Is It Possible To..

play games with the analogue sticks that were designed for the d-pad? you know games that didn't even have the feature to play games with the analogue on the original playstaion..is it possible to do that with epsxe?

Thanks
    EP Points

If your controller has analog sticks then generally yes, you can. Though for some games it can cause issues depending on the controller; for example on mine for whatever reason moving the joystick just above left or right registers as "up" rather than left or right. It'd be best to just try it for yourself and see how it performs.

I will note though that some emulators seem to have issues with mapping the joysticks at all (mostly on linux), this is most likely an issue with the particular build of the emulator/drivers available.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by bogey_j View Post
    play games with the analogue sticks that were designed for the d-pad? you know games that didn't even have the feature to play games with the analogue on the original playstaion..is it possible to do that with epsxe?
    I do not think so.
    The games are programmed for different control schemes, and if you cannot change the control scheme in game, it couldn't be possible with the emulator.
    Take for instance Clock Tower...... a game that uses the D-Pad for navigation, I can't change navigation to the left analog stick even if I was to map a control (wired 360 control) to it.
    But, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    If your controller has analog sticks then generally yes, you can. Though for some games it can cause issues depending on the controller; for example on mine for whatever reason moving the joystick just above left or right registers as "up" rather than left or right. It'd be best to just try it for yourself and see how it performs.

I will note though that some emulators seem to have issues with mapping the joysticks at all (mostly on linux), this is most likely an issue with the particular build of the emulator/drivers available.
    Use Dual Analog setting, then you have to remap the analog sticks....
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 2nd-July-2012 at 09:52. Reason: no double posting..

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sword Of Time View Post
    Use Dual Analog setting, then you have to remap the analog sticks....
    You can map the joystick inputs on your usb controller to the dpad inputs on the ePSXe controller configuration under the default type option. I.e.,

DPad configured with my left joystick;

vs DPad configured with my controllers dpad;

Again, the only issue with this is with the way some controllers register the joystick inputs when mapped this way (i.e., registering UP when pressing just above dead center on LEFT or RIGHT). This was only an issue for me on Megaman X6 in particular using Zero, where most of his special attacks are dependent on holding UP or DOWN while pressing a particular button, causing him to accidentally use said special moves in inconvenient places. Other than this I've had no issues with this configuration.

Of course if said user were using say, an adapter and an actual PS1 dualshock controller, this could be different. As he hasn't specified this however I'm assuming he's using either a USB PC controller or equivilent (say, a 360 controller with windows drivers).
    Last edited by MaslowK; 2nd-July-2012 at 03:51.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    You can map the joystick inputs on your usb controller to the dpad inputs on the ePSXe controller configuration under the default type option. I.e.,

DPad configured with my left joystick;

vs DPad configured with my controllers dpad;

Again, the only issue with this is with the way some controllers register the joystick inputs when mapped this way (i.e., registering UP when pressing just above dead center on LEFT or RIGHT). This was only an issue for me on Megaman X6 in particular using Zero, where most of his special attacks are dependent on holding UP or DOWN while pressing a particular button, causing him to accidentally use said special moves in inconvenient places. Other than this I've had no issues with this configuration.

Of course if said user were using say, an adapter and an actual PS1 dualshock controller, this could be different. As he hasn't specified this however I'm assuming he's using either a USB PC controller or equivilent (say, a 360 controller with windows drivers).
    I said that so if you had a control like so
    Spoiler warning:

You could map the Analog sticks and the D-Pad.
    ePSXe isn't that picky when it comes to using Dual Analog.
    But I may have worded it wrong the first time......
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sword Of Time View Post
    I said that so if you had a control like so
    You could map the Analog sticks and the D-Pad.
    ePSXe isn't that picky when it comes to using Dual Analog.
    But I may have worded it wrong the first time......
    Ah k, no worries just making sure we weren't giving the user any mixed messages here.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 2nd-July-2012 at 04:28.

Thanks

yeah i'm usuing a 360 controller

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Open Emulator, Go to Config, then Game Pad, Port 1, and then Pad 1
    In the Selections on the upper Right Hand Side, use [SCPH-1150] Dual Analog. (if it's there) Should be if you're using ePSXe 1.7.0
    Map the controls, and depending on the game, it's just peachy.
    Now if the games you play don't allow you to set the control scheme, then that's another issue.
    Last edited by Sheik; 2nd-July-2012 at 05:08.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Or in controllers like the logitech rumble pad that have a mode button you can play the games that use d-pad with the left analog stick

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Most PC controllers come with a switch that swaps the stick and d-pad. If your controller doesn't have that, try looking for XPadder. It even has options to make the sticks less sensitive or have a narrower angle to register as ^+< if your control is twitchy, as mentioned above.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.