Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII Remake für PS3???

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I haven't read this thread since I haven't played it yet, and it's full of spoilers, but I just HAVE to contribute:

FFVII REMAKE

1-How it happened:

1-1: Square Enix had gone on a Remake rampage back then, FF1,2,4,5,6 got remade on GBA, 1-2 on PSP (and recently 4) 3-4 on DS, and then there were the Dragon Quest remake, so a remake of their almost most popular game FF7 didn't seem that unlikely.
    1-2: FF7 had received plenty of attention before. They made 3 games that were related to FF7 story, and even produced a full-blown CG film. It was only logical to think that if they have the budget and profit for all these spin-offs, then they can do a remake as well. Aside that, much of the character's looks and whatnot had already been updated by nomura, so the art direction was clear for a remake.
    1-3: Square-Enix actually made a freaking tech demo, showing how a remade FF7 would look like. Needless to say this sky rocketed the demand for a FF7 remake even if it was just a tech demo. I personally almost shat my pants when I saw the tech demo. They even included a MENU at the end of the demo. SE shouldn't have made something like that and then go: "just tech demo, lol. "If they truly didn't want to do it.

2-Why people say it's impossible:

2-1: Not profitable: a remake won't sell, so there's no point making one. People want new updated games.
    2-2: Costs too much: a remake would be really expensive, and SE is currently focusing on new FFs and doesn't have the budget to do a FF7 remake.
    2-3: Old game: Gamer's nowadays prefer different gameplay than FF7's, so a remake would have to change so much that remaking it wouldn't make sense anymore.

3-Why all their arguments are belong to invalid:

3-1: Not profitable: If all the spin-offs and films, novels, anime and all that were profitable, then so is the remake. Aside that, as others have previously mentioned, there are plenty of statistics that show the market demand of FF7 remake.
    3-2: Costs too much: Same as not profitable, they could do all that they can do this as well. Plus, SE is developing plenty of other titles that arguably doesn't have the profit FF7 remake has, and doesn't seem to mind the initial investment. Note that all NES and SNES era FFs have been remade. And FFX is getting an HD re-release. It wouldn't be so hard for them to just up the graphics a bit and release an updated one on PSN. It wouldn't cost much and it would still sell like crazy. Besides, SE is a pretty big company, if they can buy an entire game publisher, I can assure you they can invest in a game.
    3-3: Old game: With all the other remakes, its obvious that this doesn't affect their decision much. They didn't have any problems with remaking the games before (Romancing Saga comes to mind) so why should they have one now? Plus, they can update the gameplay, and let the player decide whether they want to play with the modern gameplay or just play the classic game with better graphics. That's something that can easily solve this issue with no noticeable cost. For the difficulty, there's something called a difficulty switch, it lets the players choose how difficult they want their game to be. It's pretty neat.

4-My conclusion:

SE is planning to release a remake both for FF7 and Chrono Trigger, but not just now. They know how invaluable these two titles are, and they don't want to ruin the opportunity with a rushed game or a simple graphic overhaul. I say FF7 tech demo was to gauge the market demand on FF7 remake. They know exactly how profitable it is for them. They are probably waiting so they can target two different kind of audiences with this game, one the obvious FF7 fans who will definitely get it no matter what, and two the people who have never played FF7 in their lives, those who would find the remake a good opportunity to jump in. I also believe they're waiting for a similar atmosphere to the fifth gen. Where quality would result in sales. Unfortunately the industry is not like that currently, with CoDs selling like crazy, SE sees their longtime profit in just going with the flow for now. If the conditions change, or the time comes, SE would be more than happy to cash in on FF7, specially since developing a remake in a later time (maybe next gen) would cost much less (same as Gen4 remakes in Gen7). For now, they're just trying to keep the market demand high, so they can use it at a later time. It's a pretty well known business tactic.

tl;dr: IMO SE will do it in the future.
    Last edited by gezegond; 9th-July-2012 at 12:20.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gezegond For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Yeah, it it was only as good as Xenogears and Skies of Arcadia it would have been remade already! Just like Xenogears and Skies of Arcadia have. Oh wait.
    an enhanced port, Skies of Arcadia Legends was released for the GameCube. It was released in North America on January 27, 2003, and in Europe on May 23, 2003. Legends features slightly enhanced graphics, shorter loading times and some additional content. The game also includes the Dreamcast's downloadable add-ons, and some new scenes, some of which tell stories of events that happened prior to the game. and as for xenogears nearly everyone who worked on the original including the writer left square and joined namco

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by dazindude View Post
    an enhanced port, Skies of Arcadia Legends was released for the GameCube. It was released in North America on January 27, 2003, and in Europe on May 23, 2003. Legends features slightly enhanced graphics, shorter loading times and some additional content. The game also includes the Dreamcast's downloadable add-ons, and some new scenes, some of which tell stories of events that happened prior to the game. and as for xenogears nearly everyone who worked on the original including the writer left square and joined namco
    I'm aware of that. A mildly enhanced port doesn't equal a remake. Two completely different things. Or are you going to argue that Final Fantasy V's GBA version is a remake as well? Besides, Final Fantasy VII had an enhanced version as well. The version we got in the West was the Japanese International version, which had extra scenes / materia / weapons / bosses etc... over the original Japanese release. It's actually not an entirely dissimilar situation to SoA / SoA Legends.

In any case, my point was that the quality of a game doesn't really have a whole lot to do with whether or not it'll be remade. Popularity is a far bigger factor.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm aware of that. A mildly enhanced port doesn't equal a remake. Two completely different things. Or are you going to argue that Final Fantasy V's GBA version is a remake as well? Besides, Final Fantasy VII had an enhanced version as well. The version we got in the West was the Japanese International version, which had extra scenes / materia / weapons / bosses etc... over the original Japanese release. It's actually not an entirely dissimilar situation to SoA / SoA Legends.

In any case, my point was that the quality of a game doesn't really have a whole lot to do with whether or not it'll be remade. Popularity is a far bigger factor.
    This.
    Only reason that FF7 isn't in need of a remake or a enhanced port.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sword Of Time View Post
    This.
    Only reason that FF7 isn't in need of a remake or a enhanced port.
    Possibly so. I rather suspect that its popularity is the very reason why there won't be a remake any time soon. If nothing else, it'll completely polarise the overzealous fanbase, one part staunchly defending the old and decrying the remake as a cheap-ass knockoff designed purely to make money, and the other side complaining that the traditionalists are sticks in the mud and that the game has finally reached its true potential, yadda yadda yadda.

The regular fans will pick it up, and either like or dislike the remake, and then be entirely put off by the overzealous fanbase arguing back and forth about it.

Plus, you'd get the regular crowd that appears to enjoy hating the game because it's popular. Because that makes total sense. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not telling anyone that it's illegal to dislike Final Fantasy VII. But I am telling you that it should be illegal to hate Final Fantasy VII because it's popular.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Ivo Robotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    \
    4-My conclusion:

SE is planning to release a remake both for FF7 and Chrono Trigger, but not just now. They know how invaluable these two titles are, and they don't want to ruin the opportunity with a rushed game or a simple graphic overhaul. I say FF7 tech demo was to gauge the market demand on FF7 remake. They know exactly how profitable it is for them. They are probably waiting so they can target two different kind of audiences with this game, one the obvious FF7 fans who will definitely get it no matter what, and two the people who have never played FF7 in their lives, those who would find the remake a good opportunity to jump in. I also believe they're waiting for a similar atmosphere to the fifth gen. Where quality would result in sales. Unfortunately the industry is not like that currently, with CoDs selling like crazy, SE sees their longtime profit in just going with the flow for now. If the conditions change, or the time comes, SE would be more than happy to cash in on FF7, specially since developing a remake in a later time (maybe next gen) would cost much less (same as Gen4 remakes in Gen7). For now, they're just trying to keep the market demand high, so they can use it at a later time. It's a pretty well known business tactic.

tl;dr: IMO SE will do it in the future.
    But that seems the be it though, SE needs to be sure that they have the ability to make something greater then FF7 was and then they know that they can work on a complete remake that will be the greatest selling rpg SE ever made in the FF franchise.

Or at least thats what it seems like to me

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ivo Robotnik View Post
    Plus, you'd get the regular crowd that appears to enjoy hating the game because it's popular. Because that makes total sense. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not telling anyone that it's illegal to dislike Final Fantasy VII. But I am telling you that it should be illegal to hate Final Fantasy VII because it's popular.
    I disagree. There are few things more enjoyable on these forums than purposely pissing off said overzealous fan base just for the hell of it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Jezus H. Christ.

Someone lock this thread.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ivo Robotnik View Post
    Possibly so. I rather suspect that its popularity is the very reason why there won't be a remake any time soon. If nothing else, it'll completely polarise the overzealous fanbase, one part staunchly defending the old and decrying the remake as a cheap-ass knockoff designed purely to make money, and the other side complaining that the traditionalists are sticks in the mud and that the game has finally reached its true potential, yadda yadda yadda.
    Or they can just let players choose whether they want to use the updated gameplay or the old one.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    Or they can just let players choose whether they want to use the updated gameplay or the old one.
    Well, obviously, but overzealous fans are very rarely able to entertain these kinds of thoughts.

Never, really.

Thanks
    EP Points

overzealous fans talk a lot but in the end they all buy the game and that's what counts for SE.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

An FF7 remake won't happen.

Know why?

Me.

Right here.

I am the sole reason why it won't happen. I am secretly a majority shareholder in Square Enix after acquiring a lot of Fukushima's leftover stock options. The man loves to gamble. I have voted majorly against allowing an FF7 remake to occur. And I will continue to do so until people realize that FF7 isn't the best game ever, or even the best FF game ever.

Once you realize that, then perhaps I might possibly consider maybe letting them do that.

Possibly.

I'm also the guy who sends out C&D's for all those pet projects people have that you just love. I specifically target them once updates become sporadic and they're coming up on release date. Just because that's how I roll.

Now can we stop theorizing please? I just laid out the whole bloody "conspiracy" right there.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go attend a board meeting. Some asshole is trying to make us do KH3 again. I have to shut him down before someone feels like that might be a good idea.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raype For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And cost is a far bigger factor again. Its why the 2d FF games got rereleases/updates even though the market for them was comparatively small. FF7 is in a whole different basket costwise. Unlike the sprite games, its not easy to just touch them up and shove them out the door - you need to do a full redesign for pretty much every texture and character model in the game (and the prerendered bits need to be redrawn from scratch - the actual game files of them are in an outdated format and stored as extremely lowres images) and much of the sketches/design works to build the enhanced graphics off probably don't even exist any more. Ditto for the music - FF7 used a specific midi bank for its audio, which you can't port straight across unless you're willing to work with some fun emulation layers and was apparently such a PITA that no-one wanted to see it reused.

That adds up to a much larger budget and a lot more required staff than the usual 'two spare programmers and a sprite artists spare time' rerelease.

Thanks

I honestly think we should lock this thread at this point. I hate to seem arrogant, but my posts kind of mentioned everything that anyone could say while seeming logical still. Aside from the mod's deep, dark secret, we have nothing truly new here.

Thanks
    EP Points

making it as a release title for next gen system would be ideal... it would sell MANY systems...

I would buy the system just for ff7 and crono trigger..

hell i bought the PS3 just for ratchet and clank