Thread: Neo Geo X Gold handheld system

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Neo Geo X Gold handheld system

neo-geo-x.jpg

I havent seen anything about this on here so I decided to make a thread about it. Luckily I found a new article published yesterday saying that the price will be $200, not the $700 that was being rumored for some reason months back. 20 games will be loaded on the system for launch and itll have a port for future games (im hoping maybe just maybe Ninja Baseball Batman will be on it somehow). With the way technology is theres no way the picture quality will be bad for a 16 or 24 bit game. I guess theyll rerelease their big controllers for it so you can play it on your tv, gonna be so cool! I already have the games and more on my Kawaks, but I have to get my hands on this, cant wait for Dec 6th!

The full list of NEOGEO X Handheld pre-installed games is as follows:
    3 COUNT BOUT
    LEAGUE BOWLING
    ART OF FIGHTING II
    MAGICIAN LORD
    ALPHA MISSION II
    METAL SLUG
    BASEBALL STARS II
    MUTATION NATION
    CYBER LIP
    NAM 1975
    FATAL FURY
    PUZZLED
    FATAL FURY SPECIAL
    REAL BOUT – FATAL FURY SPECIAL
    THE KING OF FIGHTERS ’95
    SAMURAI SHODOWN II
    KING OF THE MONSTERS
    SUPER SIDEKICKS
    LAST RESORT
    WORLD HEROES PERFECT

Heres links to the article that includes the press release.
    http://wegotthiscovered.com/news/neo-geo-handheld-form/

Maybe Im not the best person to talk about the Neo Geo, so heres some things about it if youve never heard of it (a ton of my friends never have and theyve either played a ton of games or are playing newer ones.)

What are your thoughts on this new console?
    Last edited by williamjones; 17th-August-2012 at 09:36.

Thanks
    EP Points

I didn't know that additional games will be available. The lineup thus far is alright, but I would definitely be more interested if it could hold a larger portion of the system's library.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thats what the port is for, I hope they release more of their games later next year along with other arcade games that were never released. This could have a good niche if its all about 90's arcade classics. A lot of comments about it on gameinformer are negative, and from people who are into the WiiU cause its the "new" console coming out, even though the 720 is coming out in 18 months. To me this is a great way to own a AES without spending thousands of dollars on the games. It costs as much an originally priced game for the AES was way back when, to me thats great. It even comes with a AES shell and controller! Its all nostalgia, and $200 is a good price to me for that.

Thanks

It will be nice, i hope they will do more games for it. But i think it will be more for th niche market and the AES fans than the regular market. The price also it's nice and i hope it wil be available for the europe, cuz AESs was very rare, expecially here in italy

Thanks
    EP Points

The X Gold reminds me of ATGames - Arcade Classics console, which came with 20 pre-installed Sega Mega Drive games and allows you to download more on SD cards. This was an officially licensed Sega product but the hardware felt cheap and the emulation was not very good. My hope is that Tommo does a much better job with the X Gold. The hardware looks really sexy and adding a separate portable device was a smart move.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well up to last night before I looked for a new article on the system it was only a handheld console, so when I read that it came with an AES shell for the dock and recharge port with an actual joy stick controller, well I exploded with joy. The people who are ragging on this else where have no idea what a great value this is. Neo Geo is known for quality, so I know theyll deliver on this.

Thanks

i hope one makes its way to my thrift-store soon...........

Thanks
    EP Points

The official website mentions the handheld will be sold separately for $130. Neo Geo on the go!!

Edit - The website is registered to Blaze Europe, a company with a bad reputation making handhelds. How much SNK Playmore was responsible in designing and manufacturing the X Gold is a big ???
    Last edited by Kool Aid Man; 18th-August-2012 at 05:42.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by williamjones View Post
    Luckily I found a new article published yesterday saying that the price will be $200, not the $700 that was being rumored for some reason months back.
    IIRC the AES was originally $700 at launch, which would probably explain the thought that this handheld would be $700.

In any case this is awesome. Though I'm fairly sure the PSP already has an MVS/AES emulator that works well enough, it'd definitely be nice to have a portable piece of hardware specifically designed to play these games. Portable KoF 2003 anyone?
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    IIRC the AES was originally $700 at launch, which would probably explain the thought that this handheld would be $700.

In any case this is awesome. Though I'm fairly sure the PSP already has an MVS/AES emulator that works well enough, it'd definitely be nice to have a portable piece of hardware specifically designed to play these games. Portable KoF 2003 anyone?
    why not just emulate it on DS or PSP for free? this is why they don't like modding or emulation.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GunSlinger Boy View Post
    why not just emulate it on DS or PSP for free? this is why they don't like modding or emulation.
    Its not the same, and this comes with an aes shell and controller. a neo geo controller at my neighborhood retro store costs $45 or $50 alone. I hope the lower price for just the system will make people warm up to it better. im worried though people will sell the dock and controller was a real aes though on eBay i hope the cartridge games come with cool retro style boxes like first prints.

Thanks
    EP Points

i hope the cartridge games come with cool retro style boxes like first prints.
    The docking station and handheld do not support cartridges. All additional games will be on SD cards.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oh, well then itll be like the turbo grafx, another blast from the past.

Thanks

whoo great i like it to very much
    SIG REMOVED - NO ADS!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GunSlinger Boy View Post
    The appeal behind this particular piece of hardware is that it will be designed with the NeoGeo games in mind, rather than playing said games on a console/handheld that was never designed to play these games.

While of course I'm sure most of us have no trouble adapting to a different control scheme when required (I still use a generic PS1 controller for GBA emulation ), it'd still be nice to have hardware designed around these games, especially given the relatively low price. Plus who knows what sort of homebrew capabilities this might end up having if it gets popular enough to draw the attention of exploiters/coders

Oh, well then itll be like the turbo grafx, another blast from the past.
    If SD were a proprietary format, sure given the number of current gen consoles that use SD cards for storage (The Wii and various DS's for example) this doesn't surprise me.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"