Thread: XFCE issues after installing Gnome (Linux related)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default XFCE issues after installing Gnome (Linux related)

I'm currently using Mepis 8.5 (a debian based distribution), and recently I installed XFCE through synaptic (simply selecting the xfce4-panel package). XFCE was running perfectly fine at this point.

Next I decided to install Gnome through synaptic by selecting the "gnome" package, as well as "gnome-alsamixer" (assuming it was necessary to get a volume control in gnome). During the setup process when it asked if I wanted to use gdm or kdm (i assume as the login screen?) I chose kdm, and was able to boot into gnome successfuly. After using gmenu-simple-editor to edit the menus in gnome I went back to log into xfce, and ran into an issue.

For whatever reason, rather than the usual splash screen with the white background and the mouse you normally get loading xfce, it was replaced by a gnome-related splash screen detailing the loading process (starting thunar etc). Once it was done loading, the kicker panel on the bottom of the screen was instead rendered with window decorations (i should note i had already deleted the top panel and consolidated its objects into the bottom one). Here's a picture of my desktop;

My question now is, how would this have happened, and more importantly, how do I go about reversing it short of uninstalling gnome? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If it's at all relevant, KDE4 was the WM it originally came with.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Question, what happens when you create a new account and log into it?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post
    Question, what happens when you create a new account and log into it?
    XFCE boots with the same issue on a new account, created through kuser (if thats relevant). Also completely uninstalling XFCE and its related files and then reinstalling it has no effect; the issue still persists.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm wondering if there's a windows manager running that should be. What happens if you run:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Also, you could post the results of "ps aux" ?

Thanks
    EP Points

"sudo killall metacity && xfwm4 –daemon" simply outputs "metacity: no process killed"

"ps aux" gives us,

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

Thanks

edit /etc/conf.d/xdm and put gdm in instead of kdm or install lxdm ...you can choose there which desktop you want with every window manager installed

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mondscheinchen View Post
    edit /etc/conf.d/xdm and put gdm in instead of kdm
    /etc/conf.d does not exist on my system.

or install lxdm ...you can choose there which desktop you want with every window manager installed
    You mean lxde? I'm not finding any packages named lxdm; the only reference I can find to the phrase seems to be describing the lxde desktop environment.

I have however installed it through synaptic and it seems to be working well enough, though it doesn't give me the "choose kdm/gdm etc" option that installing gnome gave me. While lxde works well enough for my needs, I'm finding it more difficult than it should be to edit my "start menu" entries; installing LXMenuEditor only seems to allow me to remove/hide entries that were placed by lxde, and not entries put in place for other programs that were already installed from other window managers (i.e., Konsole, KUser, etc). This and I would still like to figure out what's going on with xfce, if only out of curiosity.

I think I'll try completely uninstalling and reinstalling gnome next, and choosing the "gdm" option instead, seeing what that does. I'll report back with my results.

*update*- uninstalling gnome and it's related components went smoothly, other than deciding it needed to remove opera along with it (lolwut?). Trying to reinstall it through synaptic tells me it needs gnome-screensaver but won't install it. Installing gnome-screensaver using apt-get works & resolves the dependency issue, but uninstalls lxde & it's related components. LXDE continues to work the same after this; apparently "removing lxde" doesn't actually mean "removing lxde" this time. Wtf.

*update2*- Gnome install throws errors concerning not being able to configure a few components at the end of the install, seems to work fine anyway. Login screen is changed to GDM after rebooting, XFCE still has the same issues.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 16th-June-2012 at 11:19.

Thanks

sorry I use gentoo and every distribution has their cfg files in different directories. lxdm is just the login tool for X from lxde. If you have a lot of errors save your home directory (including .xyz directories) and reinstall your system....I hope somebody has more experience with your distribution. Sorry
    just an ordinary gamer grrrl

Thanks
    EP Points

If you have a lot of errors save your home directory (including .xyz directories) and reinstall your system....I hope somebody has more experience with your distribution.
    Honestly other than a few quirks here and there and the issue with XFCE I'm rather impressed with how Mepis has performed so far on my laptop, where other popular distributions have all had more "game breaking" issues, particularly with performance. Even Ubuntu 10.04, as well as it's served me in the past, runs like shit on this laptop, even using XFCE/LXDE. Not to mention needing me to add a special flag to the boot script to even get it to startup properly. Something to do with my video chipset, meh.

That said once I've finally settled on a particular window manager to use I'll most likely end up reinstalling Mepis entirely, and just installing the one window manager. Right now it's a toss up between LXDE and Gnome 2; though I prefer the feel and customizability (is that even a word?) of gnome, it doesn't perform quite as well as LXDE on this setup.

Thanks

I meant reinstall Mepis not install Gentoo Use the distribution right for you. If a lot of Problems occur it is just easier to reinstall with a saved home directory than fixing for weeks. Sorry I'm not native english.... sometimes things come out with the wrong meaning
    just an ordinary gamer grrrl

Thanks
    EP Points

Sorry, been out for a while :O

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    "sudo killall metacity && xfwm4 –daemon" simply outputs "metacity: no process killed"

"ps aux" gives us,
    Can you expand the terminal and run 'ps aux' again? It cut off a lot of the important details :p Also, try just

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. It looks to me like it's loading the wrong wm but I could be wrong

edit /etc/conf.d/xdm and put gdm in instead of kdm or install lxdm ...you can choose there which desktop you want with every window manager installed
    The /etc/conf.d directory is used by OpenRC, it's not just for Gentoo but it's about the only OS (+ it's offspring) that uses it :p

Fellow Gentoo user here, I don't have much experience with debian distros myself, other than they just work
    Last edited by Panda Man; 17th-June-2012 at 20:11.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, reading up on LXDE I was instructed to run apt-get --purge clean from time to time to clean out orphaned installed packages (I assumed therefore unnecessary?); after doing so and rebooting LXDE was gone. So tired of Mepis's shit (and unable to get v11 to boot properly off my usb stick, wtf) I opted to download and attempt to install Fedora 17's LXDE spin instead, which so far is working with no particular issues.

Guess it kinda derails the point of this thread, should change the name to "adventures & mishaps in linux land"

I appreciate the effort & input regardless though, funny enough I've actually gotten more support in this thread than on Mepis' actual forums, where I was more or less told to either reinstall the whole system or just settle on a different WM.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    Well, reading up on LXDE I was instructed to run apt-get --purge clean from time to time to clean out orphaned installed packages (I assumed therefore unnecessary?); after doing so and rebooting LXDE was gone. So tired of Mepis's shit (and unable to get v11 to boot properly off my usb stick, wtf) I opted to download and attempt to install Fedora 17's LXDE spin instead, which so far is working with no particular issues.

Guess it kinda derails the point of this thread, should change the name to "adventures & mishaps in linux land"

I appreciate the effort & input regardless though, funny enough I've actually gotten more support in this thread than on Mepis' actual forums, where I was more or less told to either reinstall the whole system or just settle on a different WM.
    Aww, that's no fun, it's much more satisfying to fix the original issue! I messed up in an earlier post, I gave you a command using '&&' instead of ';'. When it couldn't find metacity, it stopped instead of running the full command :p

To be fair, I had never heard of that distro before this thread.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post
    Aww, that's no fun, it's much more satisfying to fix the original issue!
    Well after using Fedora for the past few hours I'm rather glad I made the switch. No more funky dependency issues, I can actually install chrome (apparently mepis had unresolvable dependencies for chrome since chrome 11/12 was released), its more stable (doesn't crash trying to reboot, lock up changing wallpapers, etc) and it runs on half the ram (~80mb vs ~150mb on average).

update: to my surprise, so far zsnes, gens, and fceux work perfectly on this distro, as does my gamepad. Considering I've never managed to get *any* console emulators running full speed on linux in the past this is rather impressive.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 18th-June-2012 at 06:50.