Thread: What's going on with DC emulation ?

Thanks

Default What's going on with DC emulation ?

I must say I really don't have much knowledge about emulation of any kind. I'm the type of user who finds it rather difficult to copy a bios file and load a cd image... and that's when I can manage doing that at all without crashing my computer. That being said, I try to stay up to date and read about emulation related news when I come across them, yet I can't remember seeing anything relevant that was Dreamcast related in quite a while.

Chankast seems like a nightmare to use and configure while it's compatibility doesn't look so great. NullDC seemed so promising but it still doesn't support gamepads (I hate Xpadder), a lot of games aren't supported and WinCE is still out of the picture.

The only emu that received a somewhat recent update was DEmul, and I keep hearing that NullDC is still better in every aspects. Is Dreamcast emulation dead ? I still have my (very) old Dreamcast and it's still working fine, but everytime I play one of my games I can't help but wonder if this is the last time she'll ever boot. Having a functional emu would be so much better :/ Great, talking about the Dreamcast got me all nostalgic and sad, I'll have to find some time to play Jet Set Radio this afternoon.

Thanks

Well, I'd say NullDC is still going pretty well. Their last release was in Aug of 2011, which is relatively recent in terms of emulator development. NullDC also has gamepad support with their latest release, so you won't have to bother with third party programs.

As for the lack of attention DC emulation gets, well, the console died before it could gain a good following and there isn't enough demand to pull more devs in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Soylent Green For This Useful Post: