Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kega Fusion Emulator: Sega CD Start-Up Complications

Thanks

Default Kega Fusion Emulator: Sega CD Start-Up Complications

So, I recently decided to boot up Sonic CD on the Sega CD side of my Fusion emulator and was disheartened to find that when I loaded both my version 1.00 BIOS ( and before anyone asks, yes, I DO own both variations of the Sega CD console, not that either actually WORK, mind you ) , with the menu prompting me to "Press RESET to open the CD tray" ( for some reason ) , and my version 2.00 BIOS, prompting me to "Press the Start Button", each would immediately bring me to the CD-player side of the console after pressing start, with no clear way to navigate out of said menu nor successfully boot up the particular ISO file which I had originally intended to run.

Have I missed a vital step in configuring the settings for this particular side of the emulator, or do I need to download an additional file in order to render proper functionality of this console?

Just in case it's needed, here is the model name for the laptop I am currently running the Kega Fusion emulator off of: 'Presario CQ56 Notebook PC'

Thanks
    EP Points

My first question would be how are you going about loading the disc image for Sonic CD? Also do you have Fusion setup properly with the BIOS file? This is how I have mine set up, and it seems to work fine;

1. I've obtained the BIOS file from here; http://www.emuparadise.me/biosfiles/SegaCD.zip. The particular BIOS file I used was "Sega CD - M1 V1.10.bin", located in this folder. I renamed this file to "us_bios.bin, and set the directory to this file under "Set Config... > Sega CD Tab > USA BIOS" using the Browse button next to it.

2. To actually load the game, I did "File > Load SegaCD Image", and then selected my Sonic CD ISO file. This prompted me to press start; doing so loaded the game properly.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Try Loading the .cue File

Thanks

@MaslowK: Yes, I followed those steps exactly numerous times, using every variation of the USA BIOS files that were available and yet I'm still brought to the blasted CD-player screen after pressing the start button, with no visible way to boot up the ISO file at all ( despite selecting it from it's respective folder upon bootup ).

@Dave The Man: And that's simply a converted version of the typical .bin files, correct?

Thanks
    EP Points

Hi.

The .cue file is used to write/burn the CD and contains the info for the tracks... although I do not
    know exactly how it works, if you open the .cue file with notepad you will understand. I do know,
    however, that it can give different results by loading the .cue file in the emulator instead of the
    ISO, but, in my case, I used "Gens v11a" (the one that can record movies) and with by loading
    the .cue I would have no soundtrack at all, but by loading the ISO it worked.

Have you tried with Gens?

(I know the thread mentions Kega, but it is always an option)

And what version is the Sonic CD ISO you are using? Any additional information would help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foggy_han For This Useful Post:

Thanks

- No, I haven't tried booting the Sega CD with Gens yet, but I've read through many simple tutorials elsewhere regarding running this system off of Kega and the process seems very easy and straightforward. I just don't know what I could be doing wrong.

- I'm running the NTSC version of Sonic CD in ISO file format. I'm not sure if there are any other variations of this particular localization.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by 8DXD8 View Post
    - No, I haven't tried booting the Sega CD with Gens yet, but I've read through many simple tutorials elsewhere regarding running this system off of Kega and the process seems very easy and straightforward. I just don't know what I could be doing wrong.

- I'm running the NTSC version of Sonic CD in ISO file format. I'm not sure if there are any other variations of this particular localization.
    NTSC could be (USA) or (JAP). The one here on emuparadise is the (U), but Sonic CD is easy to identify
    since the soundtracks are different. If it is the (J) version and you have the (USA) bios, it will not load.

Sorry if I cannot help further...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to foggy_han For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, assuming you're using the copy of Sonic CD off of this website (same one I'm using & know for a fact works), the only explanation I have is that it was somehow corrupted during the download. You could try redownloading it, or even redownloading Kega Fusion.

I could also note I'm using, more specifically, Fusion V3.64, on the off chance you happen to be using a different version, doubtful as that is.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Have you Tried putting the File in Daemon Tools and in Kega pressing Boot Sega CD?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave The Man For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1. Make sure you have all 3 CD bios setup with the correct regional bios for each
    2. Make sure perfect Sync is enabled (this will help with a few games)

Point 1 should fix most issues, almost any Sega CD bios version will do aswell

... actually there is a guide for CD emulation, it's for Gens but you can use it for Kega Fusion aswell (Fusion is the beter emulator)

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?20682

to be honest there is alot of second guessing going on here, due to lack of info

Maybe a screen shot upload of the actual game files might help if you still do not have the thing working

I will get the game working for you I will need a lil more information I'm not one for guessing, unless I know what the exact issue is
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-June-2012 at 10:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

@MaslowK: No, I haven't downloaded said ISO from this site yet since I've been getting a message displaying that the "Service is Temporarily Unavailable" whenever I click on the 'Direct Download' link. But after switching browsers, it appears that said download has worked and the ISO file DOES in fact run successfully now!

@Dave the Man: Pardon my newbish ignorance, but what is this 'Daemon Tools'?

@Zorlon: The single USA BIOS that I am currently using appears to run with my US version of Sonic CD just fine as it is.

The only issue currently hindering me is a blatant lack of sound throughout the game. What must I do in order to remedy that?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The only issue currently hindering me is a blatant lack of sound throughout the game. What must I do in order to remedy that?
    You need to tell me what files you have for the CD image as I asked, before I can get this working for you but I need to know what you have now

As a second guess though you have an iso and a bunch of bin files or ape files, but I would rather you just told me what you had

P.S. some games just will not work without the sound files working also...
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-June-2012 at 18:19.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

@MaslowK: No, I haven't downloaded said ISO from this site yet since I've been getting a message displaying that the "Service is Temporarily Unavailable" whenever I click on the 'Direct Download' link. But after switching browsers, it appears that said download has worked and the ISO file DOES in fact run successfully now!

@Dave the Man: Pardon my newbish ignorance, but what is this 'Daemon Tools'?

@Zorlon: The single USA BIOS that I am currently using appears to run with my US version of Sonic CD just fine as it is.

Daemon Tools is a Program where you Can Load up ISO's in a Vitrual CD Rom and use it as a Normal CD/DVD Rom

Site Here:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/home

Sounds like you got it working by Downloading the one from here. Load up the .cue file and the Sound should be there

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave The Man For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    this is going to be a pain in the back side I know but you need to rename all of the *.bin files to *.wav, but you also need to rename every sound file so it contains the same file name as the iso file then a space then 02.wav for the first sound file 03.wav for the second one and so on

should look like:-
    Sonic CD (Europe).iso (the actual CD image)
    Sonic CD (Europe) 02.wav
    Sonic CD (Europe) 03.wav
    /ect... ect.../
    Sonic CD (Europe) 34.wav
    Sonic CD (Europe) 35.wav

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...ith-Gens-Guide has a good guide for emulating CD games in Gens or Fusion (the same rules apply for both Gens and Fusion for naming your CD games and the basic setup of the emulator/s)

P.S. if you want to know what is the beter emulator... well they are both great but Fusion does support more games including Sega/Mega CD-32X games that Gens has no support for, not that there are many CD-32X games anyway lol
    Quote from another problem much the same as this one, though if you have ape files they need to be converted first, not just renamed

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

@Zorlon: The file I'm using for Sonic CD is the .bin file included in the zip file that is offered for download off of this site. When I load the .bin file, it plays the game successfully, but with a lack of any background music whatsoever ( only character/enemy sfx ). When I load the .cue file that was included in the zip file, it brings me to the CD player, displaying each track included in the game, although none of these tracks appear to be audible either.

And there doesn't appear to be any external sound file plugins that came with Fusion when I downloaded it, so I can't possibly rename each of them as you suggested.