Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it a bad idea to post rom sites?

JadeSaber Guest

Default Is it a bad idea to post rom sites?

Concidering some rom sites are dropping recently, is it a good idea to blatantly post sites or does it really matter? I was just wondering if PMing URL's would be better.
    Just a thought.
    :nosmile:

Nakoruru Guest

Probably wouldn't be that bad of an idea since IDSA could easily find other sites through us and take them out as well. If the moderators support the idea maybe we could get a sticky, that way in the worst case scenario we would still have access to the few sites we know if emuparadise is forced to remove all roms (or the protected ones atleast).

Thanks

Well, we criticize freeloaders, but aren't we an emuparadise? I think we should share our information about the emulation community. Whether that site gets taken out after a few days is irrelevant.

JadeSaber Guest

Originally posted by Laguna
    Well, we criticize freeloaders, but aren't we an emuparadise? I think we should share our information about the emulation community. Whether that site gets taken out after a few days is irrelevant.
    I tend to disagree with this. Sure, we should share the info, but it would be a good idea to protect other sites too just in case you ever need something that isn't on this site.

Besides, I don't think it's asking too much for newbies to learn to use the PM to get information on rom sites. Just don't let your box get too full and you should be ok.

Then again, do you think IDSA would stoop so far as to pose as a newbie and use PMs to do "undercover" snooping?

Well...anyway, it's a tough situation if the IDSA is really cracking down. Even so, there will always be sites they don't know about.

Kram Guest

i agree with Laguna coz even if they do find the sites and shut em down new 1s will still come up. i dont think anyone will ever be able to stop web sites with ROM's on.

RaNDOM Guest

I have to agree with Jadesaber on this one; having a site taken down a few days later simply because we weren't careful with the URLs is very relevant. Laguna, you said "Well, we criticize freeloaders, but aren't we an emuparadise? I think we should share our information about the emulation community." I agree, but wouldn't the PM box still count as sharing information? I believe so. It's not that difficult to use and would keep great ROM sites from being shut down simply because some members at emuparadise decided that they should be haphazard with their info. Sharing is ok; not caring about the well-being of what you share is not("Whether that site gets taken out after a few days is irrelevant."). Also, new ROM sites pop up everyday now; do you visit each and every one of them? No, you visit your favourite ones, and those sites are your favourites because of layout, availability, and such. Simply because a ROM site has a few ROMs doesn't make it a good ROM site. How would you like it if your favourite emulation site (besides Emuparadise) got shut down because someone else had thought "what does it matter? they'll be a new one up in a few days." I'm sure the website's owner would be very pissed off about someone thinking that way, as well. If i were any of you, i'd tell any newbie to simply PM me if they wanted a good ROM site's URL, and i'd PM other members for good ROM sites as well. Jadesaber, as far as them joining as a newbie and asking for ROMs, there's really nothing we can do about it. I would say that you could get on an internet chat program and request URLs, but that would be adding too much work for fun, and *GASP!* it could be hacked as well. As far as their "morals" go, they did crack down on Emuparadise...

HanzMoleman007 Guest

Agreed, lets keep the leeches who don't contribute, but scavange
    off of our site in the dark. I say become a member and contribute to get the info!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Kram Guest

so u r basicly saying that we should only put links in the members section and not the rom section.

RaNDOM Guest

um, not quite sure what HanzMoleman 007 just said...

If you have some crappy ROM site whose URL is 8 feet long and hosts every bit of 4 ROMs, go ahead and post it on the ROM board. If that will make you feel important, go ahead. If you haven't noticed, the IDSA is cracking down on highly organized, large ROM sites. The IDSA has cracked down on Emuparadise and (for all we know) is watching the forums for links to other ROM sites. I'd like to keep at least one well organized, large selection of ROMs-type of site without worrying if it's going to get closed in the next three days. It's not that hard to PM a member or check your PM, and it's free to become a member, so what would be the problem?

Nakoruru Guest

The idea of just posting in the member's forum doesn't really help much, just look at how many people in our members list have 0 posts. I certainly don't see 7,977 members really trying to contribute much less post (although, some post "psx rom" requests) No offense to the newbies, we all started there at one time. But too many leachers have found out about the whole posting links in the members forum so it doesn't give much for protecting the sites longevity.

HanzMoleman007 Guest

Nice poinkt Nakoruru.
    How about a login to get access to the forums? Would that be too much trouble? Ya on second thought it would.
    Oh well we lived with it before, and we still well.
    I think the future is in ftp sites anyway.

Nakoruru Guest

One problem that I was thinking of is that the rom sites we already posted are still accessable through the search option. So I suppose this kinda comes down to how far the moderators really would like us to take action, if any. Would seem kinda drastic to have to remove every link that we posted for roms. Just a thought I felt like tossing out.

BradEvans87 Guest

Even Though I am a new person to the board I think that it is a good idea to not post links to roms or iso sites. I didnt think of the IDSA reading forums and getting sites that way...

BrinkofTime Guest

Default Yeah,,I think it's a good idea to keep it between gamers.

I just think that PMing info to one another is an excellent way to keep some kick ass sites alive and well. I say to hell with the IDSA and what the hell, the game companies have already got the money for their software. How many of us originally paid a retail of $74.99 for Chrono Trigger when it came out for SNES?? I know that I did and I know that some of you did too... So I think that we should keep things together as a tight knit family of game lovers and just PM each other.

snekadid Guest

Originally posted by JadeSaber

Then again, do you think IDSA would stoop so far as to pose as a newbie and use PMs to do "undercover" snooping?

its not like they havent done it before. the fact of the matter is that they probly are "newbies"(no offense brad) and people that only look thru the forums.
    as for luguna saying that it doesnt matter, yes it does. some people put alot of working into those sites and getting them shut down is discourging.besides the fact that the web sites are put there to share information( that if it wasnt for those sites)might be inaccessable to the general public.

rom sites should be protechted by all(IMHO and i know alot of you will disagree(and this may be because my vid card isnt powerful enough to run them ))the only rom sites they should be after are the psx iso's and such.because the plaforms of old no longer function(most dont)and the games are no longer sold.but the iso's are imorral mainly because sony(god knows why) is still making playstation games.