Thread: Still playing Super mario world 2 on SNES!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Still playing Super mario world 2 on SNES!

a lot of video game companies are being established & competing with other companies.they are making nothing but crap games.the golden era of gaming was back in 1990-2000 when there was no xbox 360 no PS3 but some great console system like SNES, NES, sega genesis etc.but alas, today we see improved graphics,realistic movies,better sound qualities,nice music but still the fun is far inferior than what i got from when i was a kid and played 2d games like mario world.although during PS 2 era it was still ok for many games.a lot of games for PS2 was fun playing i must admit. in this eighth generation consoles are in progress i still play classic games like mario world and castlevenia & a lot of other classic games from SNES era.

Thanks
    EP Points

I suppose I would have to agree, with the exception of a handful of newer game series (Halo comes to mind) I find myself playing more of the older 16/32bit games than newer ones, despite having access to both a Wii and an Xbox 360.

Though, you have to keep in mind that our affinity for "retro" games from the 90's may have at least as much to do with having grown up with them, as it does with the quantity of legitimately poor quality games released on newer consoles which were clearly meant simply to make a quick buck at the expense of uninformed gamers and their parents. Remember, older consoles had their fare share of these type of games (LJN produced movie-based games anyone?).

A good example of this is my girlfriend. While being the same age as me, her first console was a PS1, and she never really got into gaming until a few years after the PS2 came out. When trying to get her into older games from say the 16 bit era, although some PS1 games had comparable graphics, there are styles of gameplay in older games you see less often in newer games (2D platforming sidescrollers for example). These types of games just don't "click" with her.

tl;dr: Gaming preferences are often built from a persons first exposure onward, and many new gamers first exposure to video games were with newer consoles, ergo they most likely won't enjoy older games the way older gamers do, and vice versa.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 7th-June-2012 at 06:15.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Blog Entries

well i didn't mean that everyone should like the first or second generation games.what i meant was the first few generations were much innovative than the current generations.its natural for a person to like newer games instead of older ones.besides is there anyone on this earth who would like to watch Television which only shows the color of black & white like back then when it was first invented instead of now days HD movies? the answer is NO! although i said the SNES era was fun playing but modern generation games have their own plus points.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by tusar View Post
    well i didn't mean that everyone should like the first or second generation games.what i meant was the first few generations were much innovative than the current generations.
    For the time given the hardware available at the time, sure. Though some of the genres popular during the 90s came to be due to even older games (think Pitfall on the Atari 2600, released in 1982), and compared to even some of the worst games of the current gen consoles, most would agree it was terrible.

besides is there anyone on this earth who would like to watch Television which only shows the color of black & white like back then when it was first invented instead of now days HD movies? the answer is NO!
    Funny enough to this day most of the TV shows I watch were more popular during the late 80's to mid 90's (just got several seasons of Rocko's Modern Life and Ren & Stimpy, classics); not quite black & white era, but still well before HD quality television was the norm
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Ahh, nostalgia once again..

The first SMW is easily one of my top 5 games, but I have to disagree with the OP, games today can be as fun as they were back then. You probably aren't looking at the right games for you.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cookie Monster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Cookie's right. There are great newer games and then there's total crap. As far as I can remember it's always been that way even on the snes and before that. You just gotta search or play demos and such to find something you like. If it's the classic side scrolling 2d games I believe they still come out, mostly for portable systems but I'm not into that stuff so I'm not totally sure but it's worth a look.

Thanks
    EP Points

i play a mixture of newer and older games.I like Animal crossing and San Andreas, but I also play Super Mario World and Chrono Trigger. It's a matter of finding a good, game that you enjoy. I have discovered many good offbeat games for older systems. I don't have a ps3 or 360, however I own a wii. I think it is up to a person's taste in games.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I play generally games I grew up with. Going back only for some gems. Most of them everyone knows so I'll keep the mystery a mystery.
    Plus Super Mario World is Awesome.
    Just as Awesome as Mega Man X

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks

Playing the classics all over again is always fun, and tends to be my choice of games. Thanks to emulation, I can play games that I used to own when I was a kid (even the bad ones), so I do agree with the OP on that point. I also see the other side of the new-gen games that are also good, such as BlazBlue, the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series, etc. that are innovative in some sort of way. However it always annoys me to see that many games are released (including some DLC) just to drain gamers of their cash.
    How's it feel being beaten?

Thanks

I hate to be part of any crowd, but I guess I am a Retro enthusiast. I still own and play my NES, and very often. Though I love the classics I grew up with (smb, smb3, donkey kong country, smw, etc...) they have lost their splendor over the years, mostly because I beat the friggin' things am million times. really, I like to purchase games I've never got to own in the past, legend of zelda, for example, I have never owned as a child, the snes one I had, also, ocarina of time, but never the original. I went and bought it, beat it, and am now satisfied. I CAN NOT own a 360 or ps3 for several reasons, one, all the games can be beat within the week it was bought, I am STILL on Dragon Warrior for about 3 weeks. Another reason is the games and systems are built to break down about as soon as the next generation comes out, the fact that I still own a fully working NES is point enough. 3rd, the games are too damn easy, maybe not at first, but there are no games these days you can brag about winning as much as games like contra, ghouls and ghosts, kings knight, etc...
    It seems to me that games are to be sold, not enjoyed these days. it's sad, but this business thrives on over-priced BS and horrible replay value, as most new games can only be tolerated after about the second time through, before you get bored and buy a new one. I, for one am trying to resolve this, by becoming an independent developer, trying to develop games that bring back the gold that the classics contained. I'm gonna advertise here a bit and offer my game download, dreamcherry:
    http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/1...tinued-version I never got to finish it, but you'll get my point... try it and see (^-^) some new projects are comming soon!
    Rabid Media Online!
    Check out original artwork and games by ME!!!

Thanks

Default Agree,.. to certain extent

Quote Originally Posted by rabidmedia View Post
    I hate to be part of any crowd, but I guess I am a Retro enthusiast. I still own and play my NES, and very often. Though I love the classics I grew up with (smb, smb3, donkey kong country, smw, etc...) they have lost their splendor over the years, mostly because I beat the friggin' things am million times. really, I like to purchase games I've never got to own in the past, legend of zelda, for example, I have never owned as a child, the snes one I had, also, ocarina of time, but never the original. I went and bought it, beat it, and am now satisfied. I CAN NOT own a 360 or ps3 for several reasons, one, all the games can be beat within the week it was bought, I am STILL on Dragon Warrior for about 3 weeks. Another reason is the games and systems are built to break down about as soon as the next generation comes out, the fact that I still own a fully working NES is point enough. 3rd, the games are too damn easy, maybe not at first, but there are no games these days you can brag about winning as much as games like contra, ghouls and ghosts, kings knight, etc...
    It seems to me that games are to be sold, not enjoyed these days. it's sad, but this business thrives on over-priced BS and horrible replay value, as most new games can only be tolerated after about the second time through, before you get bored and buy a new one. I, for one am trying to resolve this, by becoming an independent developer, trying to develop games that bring back the gold that the classics contained. I'm gonna advertise here a bit and offer my game download, dreamcherry:
    http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/1...tinued-version I never got to finish it, but you'll get my point... try it and see (^-^) some new projects are comming soon!

Thanks
    EP Points

This is hard to word, but i think Cookie is on point here.

In reality a lot of the older games make us feel that way because maybe we had a NES and SNES as a kid and we loved those game because we had them. It not really because they are better or what not. Maybe you havn't found the current day genre you enjoy, or you have and just didn't speak much on that point.

But in reality, you have to admit over 75% of the games on the NES and SNES are typically crap. With the 15% being pure classic gold.

Thanks

but that is why i love this site? and surly the coveince of playing on your computer instead of the labour extensive time to play diff games on diff consoles, and th saving of games alot easier, i think youl agree with me on that, so i agree with you about games , iv still got my ps2, i played nintendo round friends place etc... i was on the sega mega drive side, i think they were better games on them and less ummm how shall i put it.. robotic? blocky ? um japanesey i dont know something about nintendo really turned off, but when ps1 came along it changed everything im still convinced that ps1 was the tits and only 1 or 2 games on ps2 were better. I laughed at your not going with the crowd with games bit , much like me. im still on assassins creed(pcgame) im not even worried about the fact i havnt finished it yet or that the 3rd installment is here and im stil on the first 1. the best last game iv played was god of war on ps2 and gow2 they were outstanding games, i went the pc way instead of ps3 way and not regretting anything, now im on wgt golf online its a great game addicted to shit.