Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrono Cross PSP Blues

Thanks

Default Chrono Cross PSP Blues

So I got a bug to play Chrono Cross recently on my hacked PSP (running 6.20 Pro-B for custom firmware). Unfortunately, it seems this game has all kinds of woes with actually getting it to work. First eboot I found wouldn't get past the Square logo. Then the second. Then I finally found one that did, but it would immediately lock up upon killing the King Moaman boss on Guile's route into Viper Manor. Looking it up, this seems to be a common problem

So I started over (had no choice, since I didn't have a save that would let me try another route besides Guile's). This time, the game locks upon killing the Mama Komodo boss in the very beginning. Again, seemingly a common problem, but one I have no idea how to get around. Anyone else have this issue? Any way around it?

Thanks
    EP Points

Try using a different version of POPS rather than the default one that comes with your custom firmware. Here's a guide for installing POPSloader, looks like it should work with your firmware; http://gbatemp.net/topic/301579-guid...n-pro-b10-cfw/
    Last edited by MaslowK; 3rd-June-2012 at 00:09.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

I installed it, got as far as the menu for selecting your POPS, but any choice after that boots me out with a 'The game could not be started 80000004' error. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks
    EP Points

Honestly I have no idea, the last time I used popsloader was on 5.50 GEN on a PSP2000. Maybe try a different guide here and see if it works any better?

http://www.pspgweber.com/forums/view...p?f=34&t=27748
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Link seems to be broken. Trying it through 6.39 POPS got the game to start, but it froze again on Mama Komodo. Bah

Looking at it some more, it seems the only reliable way to get Chrono Cross to work is to have 6.60 custom firmware. But I have no idea how to do that

Thanks

I played that game on my PSP (currently 6.60 PRO-B10) using 3.51 POPS and a game ID of SCUS-94640. You could try using that option.
    How's it feel being beaten?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by DeathChicken View Post
    Looking at it some more, it seems the only reliable way to get Chrono Cross to work is to have 6.60 custom firmware. But I have no idea how to do that
    Uninstall PRO (just run the installer from the XMB, it should give you the option to uninstall; IIRC you only have to press triangle), download the 6.60 OFW (not my link, I got it from This guy) place it in the GAME folder, and run the update from the XMB. Then download the 6.60 version of PRO and reinstall it.

I don't know if it is worth it though. There is some homebrew which requires 6.20 (or at least lower than 6.39) in order to run properly; I would just try a different POPS (should essentially have the same result as using it on a different version of the OFW, but nothing is perfect).
    ...However, most people aren't as into homebrew as me, so whatever you want to do.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 3rd-June-2012 at 18:55. Reason: Ended the quote tag
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks

Yeah, I use mine to play emulators and eboots. Much as I'd like to play Chrono Cross on the go, I wouldn't want to lose my SNES emulator for it

Thanks
    EP Points

Link seems to be broken.
    Which link, this one? Seems to be working on my end.

Here's *another* tutorial though; http://forums.dashhacks.com/ps-one-p...x-pro-cfw.html

Looking at it some more, it seems the only reliable way to get Chrono Cross to work is to have 6.60 custom firmware.
    Not from what I've read recently. I also used to play Chrono Cross using popsloader on 5.00 m33, so I doubt that's the issue. It's just getting popsloader running on your PSP. We'll get it eventually I'm sure.

Much as I'd like to play Chrono Cross on the go, I wouldn't want to lose my SNES emulator for it
    I'd like to note that we now have "signed" homebrew that runs on any PSP with any firmware, including official firmware. For example, Snes9x

http://pspcustomfirmware.com/en/sign...es9x-v0-02.htm

This thread makes me wish I still had a PSP
    Last edited by MaslowK; 4th-June-2012 at 06:32.

Thanks

Hm, I'm now inclined to think my internet is just behaving weirdly. I can't connect to your link, I can't hit certain download links on this site. Hitting the Download Below link to that emulator just loops back around to the same page. Stupid thing.

But yeah, if I could manage to get Chrono Cross to work properly with popsloader, I'd rather not mess with my firmware at all.

Thanks
    EP Points

I can't connect to your link, I can't hit certain download links on this site. Hitting the Download Below link to that emulator just loops back around to the same page. Stupid thing.
    Try clearing your browsers cache; depending on what browser you use the method will be slightly different;

In internet explorer click Tools (the one at the top of the browser window) and click Delete Browsing History on the dropdown menu. Make sure "Temporary Internet files" is checked and click Delete; the rest don't need to be checked for this.

In Firefox click Tools at the top, then click Clear Recent History on the dropdown menu. Make sure "Time range to clear" is set to Everything and the Cache checkbox is checked, then click Clear Now.

In Google Chrome click the wrench icon to the right of the address bar, then click Tools on the dropdown menu and then Clear browsing data. Where it says "Obliterate the following items from" make sure "the beginning of time" is selected, then make sure Empty the cache is checked and finally, click Clear browsing data.

This "should" hopefully fix the errors you're describing. If you still have issues accessing the last tutorial I linked to (the dashhacks one) let me know and I'll just dictate the instructions it gives into this post.

Thanks

Yeah, clearing everything was the first thing I tried. Nothing doing. Your second tutorial link worked, but nothing else. Can't even ping the server.

Looking at it, I might need version 2 of Popsloader, since version 1 (linked above) only goes up to 6.39. But...that is apparently not compatible with the 6.20 firmware I'm running, so it goes back to my other problem. Bah.

Thanks
    EP Points

Have you tried this particular pack, listed on the dashhacks tutorial? According to it the packs they have listed "should" work with any custom firmware from 6.xx PRO B8 and above; http://www.sendspace.com/file/jxzyq2

A simplified explanation of the installation;

1. Download the zip file
    2. Extract the contents of said zip file
    3. Copy the popsloader folder into the seplugins folder on the root of your memory stick
    4. Add the following line to the pops.txt file in seplugins; ms0:/seplugins/popsloader/popsloader.prx 1
    5. Restart your PSP
    6. Hold R while starting your PS1 game from the Game tab on the XMB; for Chrono Cross I read 3.90 is the one to choose, or 3.72 using the game id SCUS-94640 when converting the original ISO to an eboot.

If the above link for popsloader doesn't work/the files don't work right with your PSP, you could try http://www.multiupload.com/OKK20FISSH or http://www.sendspace.com/file/ty8657. If the download links aren't loading at all you're going to need to try and get access to a different computer I guess.

Thanks

Kind of worked, kind of didn't. The pops files installed fine. Trying 3.90 though landed me another Mama Komodo freeze. Maybe I just need to mess around with it until I find a pops that actually works.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, at least you've got pops working now. Maybe try re-converting the ISO to eboot using SCUS-94640 as the game code? The pops compatibility list I use is saying this is the way to go if 3.90 doesn't work.

For reference here's a PDF of the list (the original webpage with the list apparently doesn't exist anymore);

http://sonyplus.files.wordpress.com/...ade-em-pdf.pdf