Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gaming enthusiasm: have you lost it?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    I'm not arguing that length has anything to do with quality, and frankly I tend toward older games ahead of newer ones, but hour for hour I don't really see a substantial change in the length of games these days. They certainly feel shorter to me, but I think that's largely because I'm not battling for control of a console / TV with the rest of my family, and can pretty much play whenever I want.

You do have a point there...

But yeah, in the end, I think there are short games and long games, despite of them being old or recent.
    (although recent games really don't pull me any interest though... there really isn't a reason, but I just feel kinda "meh" about them. )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I never really played games for long periods of time, not even when I was younger. I pause what I'm playing a lot if I have to do other stuff but I can't say I don't enjoy playing games. Games are as good as they used to be, most of the times, that lack of interest/enthusiasm has to do with not playing the right game.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I fully agree that games are just as good now as they've ever been. People are just too nostalgic among other things.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I never really played games for long periods of time, not even when I was younger. I pause what I'm playing a lot if I have to do other stuff but I can't say I don't enjoy playing games. Games are as good as they used to be, most of the times, that lack of interest/enthusiasm has to do with not playing the right game.
    Are you saying Barbie's South American Rainforest Adventure 9 is boring ?

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp-Luc Picard View Post
    I fully agree that games are just as good now as they've ever been. People are just too nostalgic among other things.
    It doesn't really matter how popular the Call of Duty series is or how much your friends insist you to play it with them when it's games like the Atelier series the ones that you'd enjoy playing. There are games and genres for everyone, you only have to find what you'd enjoy more. And, in the end, playing games is just a hobby, if you don't find something to entertain you, reading a nice book or watching a tv show can be equally fun, a single hobby doesn't need to monopolize all your free time

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Rikenax View Post
    Are you saying Barbie's South American Rainforest Adventure 9 is boring ?
    Dunno, but perhaps it's not the right game for you and me
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 1st-June-2012 at 16:53.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookie Monster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    It doesn't really matter how popular the Call of Duty series is or how much you friends insists you to play it with them when it's games like the Atelier series the ones that you'd enjoy playing. There are games and genres for everyone you only have to find what you'd enjoy more. And, in the end, playing games is just a hobby, if you don't find something to entertain you, reading a nice book or watching a tv show can be equally fun, a single hobby doesn't need to monopolize all your free time
    I completely agree with this. If you don't like an entertainment medium anymore then just move on. The truth is people like...err no...they love to complain.

Thanks

Nop, I still feel the same amount of enthusiasm when I walk home with my newly purchased game now as I did 12 years ago, the thrill of watching the opening movie, playing for about 5 hours at a session, the tears, the laughter and the wonder of what might come next are all still there.

Let your cosmo burn bright!

Thanks

well, I've been playing games for my entire life (24 great pixelated years!) and I can honestly say... a little bit... for instance, I can't play Mario 3 like I used to, nor sonic 2,3, or Knuckles. mostly because I know them up and down like an autistic nerd (Izz ME!!! (^u^) ) however, I still play rigorously games I've never owned or beaten. Last night I completed the Guardian Legend on my NES. I LOVED it!!! (though password savin's fat ugly bitch...) also, Alien syndrome (NES also...) and I'm working on Rygar, Rad Racer, and Shatter Hand.
    I guess as you get older, games become more technical in mind, and the mystery of "How did they do that?" turns into "16x16 Pixel tiles mario runs 3 frame animation 3 color palette" (maybe that's just me...) either way, games seem less "Magical" now than they used to (especially 'cause I'm studying how to make them!)
    Rabid Media Online!
    Check out original artwork and games by ME!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I completely agree with this. If you don't like an entertainment medium anymore then just move on. The truth is people like...err no...they love to complain.
    People love to declare things as complaining. The content and context don't seem to matter anymore.

I'm sure to sit in front of the screen until I finish this.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 1st-June-2012 at 17:52.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

lately i have noticed that i have had more of a draw to Anime than my games, i just got to playing Disgaea 4 which is one of my favourite series, and yet... here i am watching Yu Yu Hakusho over playing it when my tv Sits there not being used

but as for old games that i used to play when younger? i LOVEed the MMBN games, now i try looking at them and they hurt my damn eyes from the uglyness, yet i can play the older NES megaman games just fine... (megaman also being a favourite series)

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Weak MC in Disgaea 4 IMHO.

Thanks
    EP Points

i like val, laharl is better but still

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

I disagree. They aren't as good in the sense of generalizing a wide spectrum of genres, they are different. A large bulk of console games were designed for the arcade mindset (talking about NES era), now quite a few of them are geared towards actually beating it without breaking your TV. The degree of difficulty and the goal behind games has changed and I can understand why some people will make the claim that older games are better. They are just as wrong as the people who claim the new stuff is great because there hasn't been enough to fully reflect on that statement.

Enough of my rambling, I'll get to what I wanted to say. I haven't lost that loving feeling with the hobby as a whole. I've mainly lost the feeling of replaying games I've already beaten. Especially linear games. Things like Red Faction multiplayer still have a warm place in my heart, but even then, when I feel I have done everything I ever wanted to do with a game, it takes some effort to want to play again. Heck, it took 12 years to get back into Connect 4, so I'm comfortable waiting a few more years to enjoy the things I'm satisfied with.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Nemo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nemo View Post
    I disagree. They aren't as good in the sense of generalizing a wide spectrum of genres, they are different. A large bulk of console games were designed for the arcade mindset (talking about NES era), now quite a few of them are geared towards actually beating it without breaking your TV. The degree of difficulty and the goal behind games has changed and I can understand why some people will make the claim that older games are better. They are just as wrong as the people who claim the new stuff is great because there hasn't been enough to fully reflect on that statement.
    (Note: the below ramble isn't really directed at you, Nemo, just what I've always wanted to say about this topic, and I'm finally at that perfect level of tipsy to do so)

Spoiler warning:

I agree with Gypsy on this one. I think a lot of what makes an older title great is nostalgia more than anything. Sure, there are a few out there that will forever stand the test of time, but a large portion of the reason the games were more difficult was usually because of some bullshit control scheme (only having two buttons greatly limits what you can actually do in a game), or the game requiring muscle memory in order to actually be able to beat it (I'm thinking of games like Battletoads, the first Mega Man title, Super Mario Bros., Metroid, etc). None of these games were meant to be beatable on your first playthrough -- you were meant to play the games over and over again in order to learn almost every aspect of the game before you were ever going to beat it. (Battletoads is an extreme example of this)

I realize these aren't the arcade style games that you are referring to, but arcade titles follow a similar rule. Those games aren't meant to be beaten -- they are meant to be enjoyed until you die. No one was supposed to be able to get to the kill screen in Donkey Kong or Pac-Man -- I don't even think the developers know that they existed. The enjoyment from playing most arcade style games was to beat your friends or to beat yourself -- the game was just the competition method used. Besting your own high score is a fantastic feeling, but beating your best friend's score is even better. That is what made those games thrive, in my opinion, and facets of those original arcade titles still exist in games today, just in different forms. Online leaderboards, time trial comparisons in racings games with people on your friends list, etc... they are all different forms of the same thing.

If the "games of old" followed the same rules as today's games, most of those games could be completed within an hour, simply due to memory storage on those small cartridges. That would not keep anyone entertained. Similarily, if games today followed the same rules as games of old, we would have games that take 100+ hours to complete being the standard instead of the exception (with pretty much the entire JRPG genre being excluded from that statement). As games became more popular and more people started playing them, the "die-hards" (people who have been actively playing games for the majority of their lives) all seemed to start complaining about how most games of the modern era have moved so far away from their roots. Part of that is because games aren't really being created with them in mind anymore -- games are being created for the status quo, and the status quo does not want to pour 100+ hours into a game when they have so many other aspects of their lives going on.

The most interesting statement I've ever heard about video games as a media was actually in a comedy clip that I watched:
    Spoiler warning:

For people who don't feel like watching (although I highly recommend you do, it's hilarious), the basic summary: video games are the only form of media that will actually lock you out of content because you don't have the time to dedicate to mastering each game (and each game is just a little bit different) in order to finish them. This wasn't a huge problem in "the old days," when the content of a video game was the gameplay, but now that people are demanding actual stories and whatnot with their games, it's become a bit of a problem. Do you punish people who cannot finish a game because they don't have in their daily lives to dedicate to playing it every day for at least an hour until they beat it, or do you make the games a little bit easier to complete so that people can actually enjoy the content that they bought without having to dedicate all of their free time towards it?

This is pretty much the argument that started the entire debacle with Jennifer Hale earlier this year, and it's one that will never be resolved, because every single person plays games for slightly different reasons, and finds enjoyment out of them in different ways. All I know is that the market trend for console/PC gaming has moved towards the second game, and I highly doubt that the first will ever be the standard ever again. Then again, the "arcade style" gameplay has resurfaced lately with social and mobile gaming, so maybe it will make a bit of a resurgence.

As for the argument of "old vs. new," I think a lot of that comes from when you started playing games. I personally started playing on the NES, and I still consider the games I played when I was younger some of the best games ever, because they defined what I enjoyed as a gamer. When I see most people's "Best of the Best" games lists, a lot of the titles on those lists are either games that they played growing up, or games that hold similar features to the games they played growing up. When I look at the games that I really enjoy now, they are all very similar to games that I grew up playing: Dragon's Dogma/Kingdoms of Amalur are similar to Ocarina of time; Alice: Madness Returns/Rayman: Origins are similar to Super Mario Bros. & Mega Man; Ratchet & Clank/Uncharted are similar to Jet Force Gemini; Demon's Souls is similar to Castlevania. These are some of my favourite games that I have played in the last year, and I can easily see their roots in several games I still play and love on my NES, that I grew up playing.

Now, back to OP: have I lost my gaming enthusiasm?

In the last year, I've gained more enthusiasm for gaming than I ever have. Prior to 2011, the only game I actively looked forward to coming out was Ocarina of Time back in 1998. I have always played games, but I never followed gaming news or new releases (although I did subscribe to Nintendo Power for a couple years as a kid). I would rent games all the time as a kid or borrow games from a friend, but that was simply because I needed a break from the games I already owned. The only series I ever followed were Mega Man and Legend of Zelda. Otherwise, a game was a game, and I enjoyed many of them. Even some shit ones that everyone else I knew seemed to hate. (I'm still waiting on that Mischief Maker's sequel that I had hoped for. )

Now, I follow game news, I keep up with new releases, I'm constantly trying new games, and I play all the time. I honestly don't think I've played games this much or been this excited about playing games since I was a kid. Before, it was a past-time that I enjoyed and was something I could do with friends. Now, it's an active hobby that I look forward to coming home to partake in.

Tl;dr, I need another beer.
    Last edited by Drageuth; 2nd-June-2012 at 06:53.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drageuth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Tl;dr, I need another beer.
    I'm with ya. The biggest problem with debates on generalizations is the lack of facts prevent anybody from being correct. BTW, this should totally be some Gamer's Voice material. Back to the point. Both parties can list a small sample to prove their point, but altogether, you must look at the whole thing to see what is correct.

I don't believe games are any better in terms of delivering the gameplay people want in games, but I do believe games are now focused more on story than arcade aspects. The main reason for that is during the older generations of games, arcades were popular, and most companies developed their games to suit that popularity. I mean, they had a score bar for Super Mario Bros, a made for console game that didn't need it. The games reflected the time. When i started paying attention to games (1999-2000ish), I noticed games were focused on the story more because the arcade business model had been dying out for several years. You'll still have games like Call of Duty, but overall games are less about the standard tropes an arcade had and it doesn't mean it's better or worse. It's just a trend that has evolved from saturation and it'll go back to it's roots over time. Basically it'll loop like all fads typically do.