Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gaming enthusiasm: have you lost it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Gaming enthusiasm: have you lost it?

I remember as a kid getting a copy of Sonic CD; I was so crazy to play it that I could barely contain myself on the ride home, and when I finally got there I tossed the disc in the system and played it for the rest of the night. I skipped dinner, and I was so focused that by the time I stopped I literally had eye strain and a headache. The same happened with Chrono Trigger; I must have played that game for 12 hours straight the day I got it, stopping only to sleep and because I got this massive headache from staring at the TV for so long.

But these days, I get a new game in the mail and I just don't have the same desire. I get the games I want to play, but there's no more long periods of time just spent playing the game; Hell, I have stacks of games I haven't played, not because of lack of time but because of lack of motivation. Breath of Fire 5 alone has been sitting there for almost 2 years now and I never touched it despite my buying it specifically because I wanted to play it.

So as you've aged, have you lost that enthusiasm, that desire and drive to just sit down and play the Hell out of a game you just got because you're just so excited?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aeolus Aeneas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

It really depends on the game for me, be it a new game I've never played before, or an old favorite. For example despite having beaten them a dozen times I've been known to sit and play through any of the GB/GBC/GBA pokemon games in one sitting (with frameskip of course), spending an upwards of 6 to 10 hours at a time only stopping to use the bathroom.

But then, I don't do this nearly as much as I did as a kid; there would be times when I would spend 12-14 hours a day for weeks on end playing through whatever games I happened to have access to at the time, particularly RPGs. I guess the best explanation I can come up with for the change is though I do still have nearly as much time to do this lately as I used to as a kid, the novelty of playing video games for such extended periods of time has just worn off. Even with games I played but never finished as a kid, as much as I'd like to finish them, I have a much harder time committing myself to extended periods of play.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes, I do.
    My brain cannot digest the fun part of gaming any more. Its normal I guess. It could be part of growing up. Our parents doesn't like gaming, no? The same thing goes here.
    There are many games that I bought but never played most of them. Beside, I have another interest apart of gaming nowadays. These another interest could be one of the reason that limit my interest and time for gaming. But whatever, as long as I have fun with other activities apart of gaming, I'm okay to move on.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sadly, yes. I remember where there were times where I would stay up for over 24 hours, just to get my gaming in. Now, it's like every time I try to sit down and play, I just get bored quicker. It's quite sad, and I hate how I lost my enthusiasm.

Thanks
    EP Points

Depends on the game, I guess. In general, I find that I can still be excited about a game, and I doubt I'm going to completely "grow out of" gaming any time soon... however, I probably can't play a game for x hours straight like I did when I was a teenager. I need to take breaks more often, otherwise I get bored.

Thanks

I wonder if it´s the fact nowadays there´s so much to see, and so much to do thanks to the internet, that our attention spans have shortened... I used to think it was the magical element of childhood what kept me hooked and obsessed with my NES and SNES, and then lost it with the coming of adulthood, but thinking about it, I don´t believe many children of this era are so enthusiastic and persevering about any single game as we once were with ours. Usually, when one finally managed to get a hold of a new, very expensive cartridge, it was a momentous occasion, and besides the excitement of having something new, there was not much else to distract our sights off that game anyway. Now there´s no shortage of entertainment and distractions to be had online. And even off-line, I for one have thousands of roms for all the retro systems... Even playing my old favorites, whenever I lose a life or a match, there are just too many other games there to switch to with a click instead of sitting through a tough one and tackling the challenge... Even though, distractions or not, one thing is certain for me. The craving for gaming has long gone...

Thanks
    EP Points

See, I'm still excited enough to play a game for hours on end, the problem is finding those consecutive hours to play it. Because I'm so used to the marathon sessions, it seems almost pointless to sit down and play a game for anything less than two hours, so I never end up getting started unless I can guarantee I won't have any major interruptions for a few hours.

Case in point: I started Castlevania: Lords of Shadow recently. I played for about four hours the first sitting. I played for eight the second. I have yet to get a chance for a third, either because people started calling me on Skype (and it's so very rude to not pay attention when people are attempting to have a conversation with you, but it absolutely ruins my experience if I can't listen to Captain Jean-Luc Picard) or I had things away from the computer to take care of.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, in my case, I can say I still have my gaming enthusiasm, but I can only feel it in games I used to play when I was younger,
    such as the Mega Drive Sonic's, or other retro games, and I enjoy them as much, even today. My PC is old, so I am not really into
    recent PC games, but I have played some RPG's like Final Fantasy 8 (at least once) and I can say they kinda bore me very quickly.
    It seems to me that games nowadays are too long and complex. Sure, one can complete a Sonic game in maybe even less than an
    hour, but even then, I can still feel enthusiasm by playing it again but trying to do things differently, try new paths, new tactics or
    just try to make it faster and improve.

Oh, there is also one thing that adds to enthusiasm in my case: playing a challenging game with other people, be it in person or online.
    Adds to the fun!

(There are a few, like Pokemon, or even Smash Brothers 64, but I have repeated them many times in other posts so... )

Thanks
    EP Points

My fervent interest in gaming started to go off the boil a little when I reached seventeen or eighteen. But around that time I started learning Japanese, and that gave it something of a shot in the arm, as I started playing games a lot more to help me learn the language.

Now that I can more or less play games in Japanese comfortably, my interest is... kind of waning again. :'D I'll always like games, I think, but there are a number of things I like as much or more, and I usually only get around to playing a handful of games each year. I don't think it's a bad thing, really, and I don't think it's a matter of games changing nor of me "growing up" as it were. Just changes in my tastes and interests, I suppose.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can't truly say, yet.
    I'm not to the death point of a 7h hour game binge, but I've yet to play a game generally interesting now. I will say Sonic is still one of those I cannot hate (except 2006) I'd still play some for 3 hours on end knowing I beat everything about 12 times.
    It's just my preferences that's changed my enthusiasm. I would play a game for a night straight only if it was a near perfect game.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by foggy_han View Post
    Well, in my case, I can say I still have my gaming enthusiasm, but I can only feel it in games I used to play when I was younger,
    such as the Mega Drive Sonic's, or other retro games, and I enjoy them as much, even today. My PC is old, so I am not really into
    recent PC games, but I have played some RPG's like Final Fantasy 8 (at least once) and I can say they kinda bore me very quickly.
    It seems to me that games nowadays are too long and complex. Sure, one can complete a Sonic game in maybe even less than an
    hour, but even then, I can still feel enthusiasm by playing it again but trying to do things differently, try new paths, new tactics or
    just try to make it faster and improve.

Oh, there is also one thing that adds to enthusiasm in my case: playing a challenging game with other people, be it in person or online.
    Adds to the fun!

(There are a few, like Pokemon, or even Smash Brothers 64, but I have repeated them many times in other posts so... )
    This is funny because many people bitch about games being too short these days.

I'm in a malaise currently, Uncharted 4 needs to happen already so I can shoot some shit and steal some treasure.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Games these days are short, unless they're based on the 4th Generation of Pokemon. Then they're long and slow.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp-Luc Picard View Post
    This is funny because many people bitch about games being too short these days.

I'm in a malaise currently, Uncharted 4 needs to happen already so I can shoot some shit and steal some treasure.
    Need to stop playing shitty sports games and play a real game.

In response to the topic:
    Nope. I can still play games from start to finish, or for extended periods if I can't beat them in a sitting.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yup , my gaming attention span went out the window, now it takes a hell of a game to keep me glued for over a hour

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't think games have gotten that much shorter. Resident Evil 5 took me about the same time to finish as 3, Ys Seven is twice as long as any game in the series to come before it, Uncharted 2 is about as long as most PS1 and PS2 games in a similar mould, Final Fantasy XIII's main story wasn't substantially shorter than VI's, VII's or X's, Tales of Vesperia is of a similar length to most other recent installments in the series, Arc Rise Fantasia is as long as some of the longest RPGs on the PS2, Xenoblade is arguably the biggest Japanese RPG ever made... Heck I've been replaying Chrono Trigger recently, and despite playing in French where my reading speed is severely crippled, it's only taken me fifteen hours to get to the point where I'm starting on the endgame content, which is about as long as some modern action games and freakishly short by the standards of many modern RPGs.

I'm not arguing that length has anything to do with quality, and frankly I tend toward older games ahead of newer ones, but hour for hour I don't really see a substantial change in the length of games these days. They certainly feel shorter to me, but I think that's largely because I'm not battling for control of a console / TV with the rest of my family, and can pretty much play whenever I want.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elin For This Useful Post: