Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sony patent to interrupt game play to show advertisments

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Oh, I felt that way a long time ago.

Protip: never lend your NES anything to a chain-smoker.
    Pretty much.

I heard rumors that this was going to be for PSN if it's implemented, nothing to do with offline play.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Rikenax View Post
    Pretty much.

I heard rumors that this was going to be for PSN if it's implemented, nothing to do with offline play.
    Would affect online play then. Which would suck even more for the Sony fans. Atleast offline play doesn't keep to many stats.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It would be a lot less intrusive, and probably not make people as mad, if they implemented a patcher to place ads in the context of the game. Say you're driving downtown in GTA and look out your window to see a Mountain Dew billboard. Sony had to release SDK to the game creators so it should be simple for them to put a Nike swoosh on some random NPCs clothes or an Apple logo on an NPCs cell phone. They would be better off using a product placement strategy similar to movies. Probably get paid better, too.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    It would be a lot less intrusive, and probably not make people as mad, if they implemented a patcher to place ads in the context of the game. Say you're driving downtown in GTA and look out your window to see a Mountain Dew billboard. Sony had to release SDK to the game creators so it should be simple for them to put a Nike swoosh on some random NPCs clothes or an Apple logo on an NPCs cell phone. They would be better off using a product placement strategy similar to movies. Probably get paid better, too.
    thing is if they do that those scenes will have to make sure the logo/company is easily scene by the player to get them exposed to the ad, can't be a fleeting image has to have some focus on it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

sure, like a cutscene driving or on someones desk/table. Or something you would run past on foot during a mission, especially during a break in combat. Placing the logo on one of the games reused textures would make sure that Budweiser bottles were everywhere, for instance.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

NOOOOOO!!!!!! put them in, like bill boards in the game, like they've been doing. Crazy taxi was one huge advertisement. Pizza hut, KFC, Levi, etc...
    Rabid Media Online!
    Check out original artwork and games by ME!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabidmedia View Post
    NOOOOOO!!!!!! put them in, like bill boards in the game, like they've been doing. Crazy taxi was one huge advertisement. Pizza hut, KFC, Levi, etc...
    And the game was 100% awesome and unaffected by it. However, statistics on how many people are viewing said ads are vital to the companies paying Sony to buttfuck everyone, which is rather hard to do as well as ineffective for in game background props/textures.

I'm all for them throwing ads in my face on the grounds that the console and every game for said console is free. And they have to rub my back once a week. I won't entertain any other offers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spose' View Post
    I would rather pay for online and have steady servers and party chats and other features ps3 can't support. I like talking to my group of 6 and we talk everyday all the the fact that we can do that for a very very low amount is good. Not to mention we don't get random whole days that our service goes offline because of a mistake on the companies end.
    These "features" you're so happy to pay for are actually given for free in the silver membership. The real joke here, is that you're only being charged to actually play multiplayer games, even though they are just peer-to-peer matches. As such, Xbox live (at least gold) is just a glorified matchmaking service. All it does is puts you in contact with other gamers who host/join a game. This decentralisation means that your enjoyment of a game is directly related to the quality of connection between players. That's why I can't justify the monthly fee for Live.

Anyone remember "MSN Gamezone" from the 90s? This was Microsoft's first matchmaking service, and guess what? They didn't want any money for it. Fast-forward 15 years and it's suddenly acceptable to pay for the same thing just because it's on a console..

/facepalm

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ollieisamuppet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ollieisamuppet View Post
    These "features" you're so happy to pay for are actually given for free in the silver membership. The real joke here, is that you're only being charged to actually play multiplayer games, even though they are just peer-to-peer matches. As such, Xbox live (at least gold) is just a glorified matchmaking service. All it does is puts you in contact with other gamers who host/join a game. This decentralisation means that your enjoyment of a game is directly related to the quality of connection between players. That's why I can't justify the monthly fee for Live.

Anyone remember "MSN Gamezone" from the 90s? This was Microsoft's first matchmaking service, and guess what? They didn't want any money for it. Fast-forward 15 years and it's suddenly acceptable to pay for the same thing just because it's on a console..

/facepalm
    First of all we all agreed to keep this thread on-topic.

But clearly you don't understand. There are a lot of things a Silver member can not to. Trust me I am one atm because i don't play online anymore.

I can't watch my Netflix anymore. And tons of other things. If only you knew the limitations for be silver. Oh Wait.

Thanks
    EP Points

This is crazy. Are the game companies so desperate for money they'll alienate players by interrupting a game to show ads? How do they think this is a good idea? How far is their heads up their butts? Pretty far I guess. Wow.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Spose' View Post
    I can't watch my Netflix anymore. And tons of other things. If only you knew the limitations for be silver. Oh Wait.
    Strangely enough the 360 is the only console with this limitation on Netflix, requiring you to pay an extra fee for the privilege of using their hardware to use a service you already pay for. I can see this becoming a trend, and in spirit relative to the possibility of in-game advertisements as a way for game companies to create that extra bit of revenue. And the sad part is, even if they do end up doing this, chances are it won't significantly affect the sales of their new console.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Protip: never lend your NES to a chain-smoker.
    People still smoke in their houses? Everyone I know including myself smokes outside/in the garage/anywhere but their living space =/
    Last edited by MaslowK; 12th-June-2012 at 05:16.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Personally, I think you guys are getting wrilled up over nothing. Sony patented this because they know that in game ads are going to be the future of gaming. If P2P and Free games can do it, why can't console games? Hell, Steam does that shit to me all the time. As soon as I exit a game, I get ads. Ads are just something we're going to have to deal with as a community. As gamers. What can we really do about it? NOTHING. Sure, sure.. We can reminisce about the good old days where pikachu was totally original for a rat, but times are changing, and not for the better. I'm not going to gripe about what's going to happen. It's obvious and unavoidable. Just like the internet, it's one of those ideas that isn't going to go away. Our kids aren't going to know the difference, but we will. The only real solution to this "problem" is to convince a GAMER to make a GAMING console. Then we wouldn't have to deal with the corporate bullcrap. These people aren't gamers. They don't appreciate the media, and the sure as hell don't care about us. we're just dollar signs. *Shrugs*

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    Strangely enough the 360 is the only console with this limitation on Netflix, requiring you to pay an extra fee for the privilege of using their hardware to use a service you already pay for. I can see this becoming a trend, and in spirit relative to the possibility of in-game advertisements as a way for game companies to create that extra bit of revenue. And the sad part is, even if they do end up doing this, chances are it won't significantly affect the sales of their new console.
    Well, the thing is with ps3 and wii they both have browsers, which means you could easily by-pass needing the gold subscribtion or what not to use it. My friend doesn't even download the ps3 app and just using the browser for it.

But it doesn't affect me much. I have all smart TV's. xP

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Sony patent a lot of stupid things. Doesn't mean that they will ever use the patent. But if they intend to use this patent it most likely will be for free-to-play games.

Thanks

To be honest, everyone has a valid point, it's all about what you are willing to put up with:
    • It's kind of ridiculous to have to pay for something that you can get free: Sony vs Microsoft - Sony wins here.
    • Console reliability: Sony vs Microsoft - Sony wins.
    • Gamer interactivity (private chatting, group parties, video chatting, texting, etc.): Sony vs Microsoft - Microsoft wins
    • To have access to games that only a certain company has: Sony vs Microsoft - It all depends on preferences, but for me it's Microsoft. And to be honest I prefer Nintendo over the rest, even PC.
    I've been with Microsoft for 4 years and my first year with them was awful, I went thru 5 consoles in a 6 month period and it's not because I didn't cleaned them, or because I placed them on harms way, which I don't (I’m actually obsessive about my things); if I try to put a hand inside any console I void the guarantee. All those first consoles were replacements except for the first one, and the last console I got back from Ms repair shop I've had it for about 3 years and starting to lag like crazy! I dump all the HDD data to secondary Drives and deleted the cache and it helped a bit but I think is just time to get a new one for me. I got a new Gears edition for the misses and that thing flies! and I’m so excited about the built-in wireless card, that thing is awesome! I’ve had my eye on the wireless adapter for a while but since I’ve read horror stories about them I didn’t want to waste my money but this built-in wireless is awesome, it even picks up three of my neighbors’ internet connection.
    As far as the main topic goes, I see this as a huge time bomb, I can see some companies trying it and blowing off on their faces; but I don't see Sony actually testing it on their games but I do see Microsoft trying on their blockbusters: 343 on Halo for starters and maybe even Epic because I've seen how commercial this last company has become with their useless and costly dlcs for their last game.