Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sony patent to interrupt game play to show advertisments

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Sony patent to interrupt game play to show advertisments

http://www.gamefly.com/news/article/.../#.T8VkdUXLyjw

by Andrew Yoon, shacknews.com, May 25, 2012 12:30PM PDT
    Sony has filed a patent that would introduce in-game ads in a whole new way. First discovered by an eagle-eyed NeoGAF member, the application was posted last year. The patent describes an ad delivery service that would actually interrupt gameplay to display an advertisement. The process would show a warning message indicating that gameplay would be suspended. Once the game is paused, it would show an advertisement. Once finished, the game would rewind "at least a portion of the interactive content," so that you can undo that horrible gaming blunder caused by the abrupt interruption of your gameplay session.
    The publisher has been experimenting with a number of unique in-game advertising partnerships. Most recently, it offered MotorStorm RC as a free download to Vita owners, thanks to a partnership with Scion. However, its most criticized ad campaign involved Wipeout HD, where game loads were purposefully delayed to show video ads for State Farm.
    As with any patent, there's no guarantee that Sony will ever implement this idea in a real world product. Given the potential fan backlash, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile endeavor to pursue. "The day Sony puts ads up while Im in game is the day ill never buy a Sony console again," one commenter noted on Eurogamer. However, there certainly is an appeal to a completely ad-supported free-to-play game...
    Discuss.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spose' For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The day this happens is the day I quit buying new games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp-Luc Picard View Post
    The day this happens is the day I quit buying new games.
    Yeah, definitely not a positive step for gaming if they do this.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I posted this concern in the thread that said rumor that PS4 will lock out used games.

I said that i could see them putting in ads during breaks in campaign's or in between online games while they are waiting in the lobby. Worst nightmare is coming true! If playstation does this, they will hurt their sales so much, unless they know that Nintendo and Xbox plan on doing it as well, then it would not matter.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah, Sony is killing their own system. I thought the 360's pay-to-play online service was crap.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    Yeah, Sony is killing their own system. I thought the 360's pay-to-play online service was crap.
    I would rather pay for online and have steady servers and party chats and other features ps3 can't support. I like talking to my group of 6 and we talk everyday all the the fact that we can do that for a very very low amount is good. Not to mention we don't get random whole days that our service goes offline because of a mistake on the companies end.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Spose' View Post
    I would rather pay for online and have steady servers and party chats and other features ps3 can't support. I like talking to my group of 6 and we talk everyday all the the fact that we can do that for a very very low amount is good. Not to mention we don't get random whole days that our service goes offline because of a mistake on the companies end.
    That's right you tell him!

Go XBOX!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Meh, I already pay for internet. I have no desire to buy an unreliable console and pay extra bills to use it with internet I already pay for, nor a more reliable console that plays ads during my game.

This is why I say FUCK THE BULLSHIT!!! and play on PC: I get voice chat for free, AdBlock+ keeps me ad-free, and unless you pay for WoW(fools), you generally don't have to worry about losing service for days on end.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sheras View Post
    That's right you tell him!

Go XBOX!
    Theres nothing wrong with the free online. But its just nothing that would cause me to pick it up over a xbox. More or less games i would be playing on it and the features it has.

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    Meh, I already pay for internet. I have no desire to buy an unreliable console and pay extra bills to use it with internet I already pay for, nor a more reliable console that plays ads during my game.

This is why I say FUCK THE BULLSHIT!!! and play on PC: I get voice chat for free, AdBlock+ keeps me ad-free, and unless you pay for WoW(fools), you generally don't have to worry about losing service for days on end.
    sorry but the xbox isn't unreliable, i've had mine 5 years without a single problem. People just don't take care of there systems like they should.

And yes PC over all if you have the money for a good one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I'm with skullpoker here, offering online playing for a price only is kinda pathetic (Sony already offers a quality service for free). Subcription fees + ads, like Microsoft is doing now, that's simply craptacular.

I'm all for less fees and less ads

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I'm with skullpoker here, offering online playing for a price only is kinda pathetic (Sony already offers a quality service for free). Subcription fees + ads, like Microsoft is doing now, that's simply craptacular.

I'm all for less fees and less ads
    What do you mean by + ads. Xbox has none. The only real ad's we have is one advertising a new release on the dashboard. Which no one minds.

Thanks

The last thing we need is to see interrupting advertisements for games that we paid for.
    I hope that Sony doesn't do this along with that "Used Games Lock-Out" rumor.
    How's it feel being beaten?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Spose' View Post
    sorry but the xbox isn't unreliable, i've had mine 5 years without a single problem. People just don't take care of there systems like they should.
    same here. I have 2 xboxes, and original and a slim. and never had a problem with either of them.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sheras View Post
    same here. I have 2 xboxes, and original and a slim. and never had a problem with either of them.
    It typically people never remove the dust and put them in bad places where they can overheat. Treating a system bad is just pure wrong. Anyways we are going a bit off topic here.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Somewhat off-topic, but it's drifted already.

I talked to a guy who was on his 2nd PS3 in 3 years, and 20+ 360's.

The fact that you know what RROD means is all the evidence you need that a poorly-built, copyright-infringing console is unreliable. Most folks send theirs in before warranty expires because they understand that the console is junk. Junk with nice graphics, but still junk.