Thread: turning a rom into a disc

Thanks

Default turning a rom into a disc

so i have multiple roms from this website and i enjoy using thse roms and playing on my epsxe1.6 but i have a question, how do i use a rom downloaded from here, such as castlevania symphony of the night, how do i turn that rom into a physical disc to play on my ps2 at home? please send links to programs used to compress/burn roms.

i also want to note that i do already have ultraiso(trial version) installed on my comp so if i can do this using ultraiso, please let me know how
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 29th-May-2012 at 00:41. Reason: don't double post!

Thanks
    EP Points

The only two methods I'm aware of to play burnt PS1 games would be to either install a modchip for the PS2 or use an appropriate swapdisc method to play them on a real console.

Swap trick guide; http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...px?NewsId=4648

Modchip guide; http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/24454
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Also should be noted to avoid confusion rom = cartridge based games (snes, genesis, etc.)

Iso = disc based games (dreamcast, playstation, etc.)

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    The only two methods I'm aware of to play burnt PS1 games would be to either install a modchip for the PS2 or use an appropriate swapdisc method to play them on a real console.

Swap trick guide; http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...px?NewsId=4648

Modchip guide; http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/24454
    MaslowK, you are mostly right.

kyloth, you will never be able to run any backups whatsoever without at least some finagling(see "Sony PlayStation2"), but you do not necessarily have to use those two methods. The one that interests most people is a different swaptrick that lets you install FMCB (Free McBoot/Free Memorycard Boot), which essentially turns your Memory card into a modchip. There is a free installation service offered Here. There are also two DIY guides for installing it this way hosted at EP Here and Here, and the original is Here.
    This will enable you to do amazing things with your PS2.

EDIT:
    There is a method for playing PS1 backups after you have installed FMCB Here that skips having to convert it and patch it with ESR, but you have to disk-swap it every time. I would take the extra time to do the steps below, since you don't want your laser to get that much exposure.

EDIT2: Took out erroneous info. Danke, Zorlon.

Then, finally, you will need to burn the image to a DVD (recommended Verbatim DVD+R, Amazon usually has them for pretty decent prices) using ImgBurn, at the lowest burn speed possible.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 1st-June-2012 at 05:02.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For burning the disc images (what you are calling roms) I strongly recomend you do not use UtraISO or any of it's clones (asides from anything some of it's features will destoy PSone CD structures making them unsuable both in emulation and on a console) [It's the STR and XA file headers that do not get handled at all with UltraISO and it's many clones]

I can recomend you use ImgBurn though, that can handle PSone and PS2 burning perfect and supports most known CD and DVD image types, this software is totally free

ImgBurn can be aquired from www.imgburn.com

Personly I use a mod chipped PSone for PSone backups and a softmodded PS2 for PS2 backups... but I can verify that the FreeMCBoot can be used to run a 3rd party prog that lets you do a PSone swop trick that works for PSone software but you do need to have certain lid censors blocked for that to work but PS2 software does not need any swop trick once ESR is installed and is advised you do not have the censors blocked at all, specially if you plan to play multi DVD PS2 software (there is however a flip lid that used to be able to get (still able to maybe not looked) that let you ether open the main lid (lid censors work as normal) or open a lid above the main one (this has the censors blocked) used for backups, often used with SwapMagic back in the day)/(the bulky PS2 also had a flip lid back in the day that let you use the draw system and the flip lid this would also do the trick)

EDIT:- An error in the above post.... PSone software will never work converted to a DVD and patched with ESR, this only works with PS2 mode software that is either DVD or originally a CD converted to a DVD
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-May-2012 at 20:57.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: