Thread: Is it possible to connect a modded Slim PS2 to the internet?

Thanks

Default Is it possible to connect a modded Slim PS2 to the internet?

Generically speaking, is it possible to connect a modded Slim PS2 to the internet? I am not sure, but I think my modchip is called Infinity. I don't want to play online, just download the extra stuff from Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake Eater. Also, do I need the Start Up CD? I tried to find a list of the games that came with the startup inbuilt, but I found only a few, none of wich I own...

Thanks
    EP Points

pretty sure all the servers are down anyway

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Really? Is that temporary or permanent?

Thanks
    EP Points

permanent, once a console gets old they close the servers game by game. Xbox1 i'm almost positive is 100% down for example, but Ps2 may have a couple up (doubt it though)

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luffy4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes, all (or at least the overwhelming majority) of official servers are down.

But like other programs that do it for the computer, XLink Kai attempts to emulate a LAN session over the internet.

EDIT: Well, I answered with only reading the title, so ^that^ will not solve your problem. But I'm pretty sure the DNAS would have kept you out even before the server was down.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 16th-May-2012 at 23:20.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks
    EP Points

@Flavio Alves - Online play servers might be down, but you can still get the MGS3 downloadable camo. Here's some info you might find helpful.

Find and download the camouflage saves here (any format, doesn't matter which):
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Grab PS2 Save Builder for PC, here:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Use PS2 Save Builder to convert these codebreaker and X-port saves to native PS2 saves, like this:

First, open the save file in PS2 save builder. You'll see, at the top of the program window, a box that says "Root/ID". Highlight the text in this box, and right-click/copy it.

Now, make a new folder on your desktop (or somewhere easy to find), and re-name it, pasting in the text you just copied as the new folder name.

Next, go back to PS2 save builder and highlight all the files in the left hand window, right-click and choose "extract". Browse to your new folder on your desktop and click "save" to place the files in the folder. And you're done!

Repeat these steps for each save, then transfer them to your PS2 Memory Card using a USB stick (FAT32 format).

If you need to region-change your save, look here:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockstar1983 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you very much, Rockstar1983, I will try this as soon as I can! I don't have my PS2 with me right now, but I tried to do everything that doesn't involve the console so far and it worked just fine.

Question: to tranfer the files to the memory card all I have to do is save them on a USB stick, plug it to the PS2 and then transfer it to the memory card?

EDIT: Also, is there a problem giving the folder a different name than that one that appears at the SaveBuilder text box? I wanted to name the saves with the stuff they contain (v.g. All Camos, All Facepaint, etc.).
    Last edited by Flávio Alves; 17th-May-2012 at 12:47.

Thanks
    EP Points

@Flavio Alves - To your first question: Yes, just save them onto a USB stick. I use a homebrew program called uLaunch.elf to transfer saves to and from my memory card. If you are unable to run .elf executables on your PS2, CD and DVD iso's of uLaunch are available at SKSapps.com under "PS2 apps -> Launchers".

I think there might be problems with naming the folder differently... I'm not sure, I've never tried it. You could try putting all the camos into one save file, but you'd do so at your own risk.

Years ago, I downloaded the 3 camos that were available in the US while the servers were still up, and each camo had it's own save file (Mummy, Grenade, and Santa). The rest I got from the link I shared with you. The camo saves aren't actually game-save files, just the camo data, so I think you need to give each camo it's own save file. I actually bought an extra 16MB "MAX" Memory Card for my PS2, incase I wanted to have all the Camo patterns on the same card.

That's all I know for sure. You can try it anyway you like... My best advice is to make sure you keep backup copies of any files you change, before you change them. Best of luck!
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockstar1983 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I downloaded the file named "uLaunchELF v4.37 DVD", described as "ISO - Unofficial Launchelf - Boot Elfs From Usb, HD and MC". So now I have to burn a dis and use it on the PS2 to make the tranfers?

About the camo files, are they really that big that they require another memory card?

Sorry for the amount of questions, but I don't have a clue about homebrewing...

Thanks
    EP Points

@Flavio - No problem... I'm always glad to help a newbie homebrewer.

Yes, burn the disc to a DVD-R (Minus R) and run it on your PS2 (with your modchip, it should boot right up). In uLaunch, browse to "Mass" (USB storage) to find your save, highlight it and press O to "mark" it, then press R1 to bring up the sub-menu. Choose "Copy", then navigate back to your memory card's root directory ("mc0" for slot 1, "mc1" for slot 2), and press R1... then you can choose "Mc Paste" to place the save on your card. (I'm typing this from memory, I'm not near my console right now... I hope I got all the steps right. )

Well, the camo files are around 720-odd KB each, so they aren't really huge. An extra memory card isn't required, I just wanted to put all my MGS3 saves onto one card. It was a personal choice, really. You can put them all on one card if you need to.

Be sure to post here and let me know if everything works out, OK?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockstar1983 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, Rockstar!

Now, about something you said before:

You could try putting all the camos into one save file, but you'd do so at your own risk.
    Have you ever tried doing that? What I really wanted was a save file with only the camouflages you can't get without connecting to the internet, so I could obtain the other ones by personal effort. But, apparently, gamefaqs only has save files with either ALL camos or separate files, each one containing one camo.

Anyway, once I get to use my PS2 I will try doing as you pointed and report back. Thanks again for the help!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't remember if this can be done with an action replay/codebreaker or not but thats an option worth looking at aswell

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

What method did you use to mod your ps3? I have a slim and I'm looking to mod it also.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by -NTA- View Post
    What method did you use to mod your ps3? I have a slim and I'm looking to mod it also.
    No one is talking about the PS3

The PS2 slim can be done via software though, instead of hardware (i.e. no mod chip is needed)

Also the OP already mentions that his PS2 slim is modded via a mod chip

To the OP aswell if you run any backup game online you need to insert code from an original game or the system will just get banned (there are a few exceptions to this as the first few online games didn't use any sort of security like that), this also includes shared online keys (I forget exactly what it is called) but online shared keys will also get you banned as those keys will of also been banned aswell
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-May-2012 at 13:42.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Apparently, my only option now is to use the save files from gamefaqs. I'll also try the action replay/codebreaker thing. Thanks, Zorlon.