Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Foggy's Playground Zone, ACT 1 - Nostalgic Sonic! 《≈ᴖ.ᴖ≈》*

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Foggy's Playground Zone, ACT 1 - Nostalgic Sonic! 《≈ᴖ.ᴖ≈》*

Kids... step aside. It is Mommy's turn now!

...sorry guys, I always wanted to say this one.

So, here it is my first "Let's Play" ever. Most of you already know (if not, the title of the thread should give a hint)
    that I am taking on the first, original Sonic the Hedgehog, which was effectively my second console game on the
    Sega Mega Drive, back in 1992. I remember struggling with it a lot in the beginning, and crying when I got stuck
    but I also remember how much I played/enjoyed it after I got the grip to it. I had a lot of fun going through the
    game again. It gave me a very nostalgic (and warm) feeling... ^^

Anyway, the style of my gameplay here will be speed. I will not attempt to get many lives nor many points.
    It will be just the result of me trying to complete the game as fast as I can, avoiding hazards at all cost, of course. ^^'

But before getting started, I will just make a little explanation about the controls
    and some insight on the process of recording, the emulator used, and other details.

As for the controls, I used the keyboard. I would have used a gamepad any day of the year, for the comfort
    apect of it, if mine were not so old and used (abused) but I usually feel that the keys are more precise.
    (Also, I heard some "Doctor" here uses the keyboard too, so it could open way for... competition? )

Now, for the recording process, I used the "gens v11a Re-recording" I obtained from the paradise that is emu... paradise. Yes.
    Anyway, there is an option under the "Tool" tab that says "start AVI dump", so it would be really easy, but here is the catch:
    my somewhat old PC (almost 7 years now... just a few years to puberty) is not able to run the game properly while doing this.
    While "dumping" the AVI, the game gets a lot of frames cut and the screen on the emulator window sometimes goes black,
    heavily compromising my gameplay. The AVI ends up intact, however, like there were no lagging or glitches. (I tried with VBA
    once, recording a GBA game called "Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland" and was even worse...) So, one day, I start making some
    tests with the "gens v11a" and learned how to use the "record movie" function, which records, from what I can understand, the
    keys I press, allowing to reproduce my performance from a save file. That was just what I needed to counter the AVI recording
    problem. I just "record the keys", play the recorded "movie", start dumping the AVI with my key recording and...simply wait. ^^
    Even if the screen blacks out or gets sluggish, it will not affect my gameplay because the performance was already made.
    (Nyarharhar! Take that, technology!) And this is to say that I would never even dream of making a "Let's Play" if it was not
    for that specific emulator. (and yes, this means I probably took a nap between Zones... or even made test runs. )

Oh, before I forget, this is also why you will see, in the end of every video, the words "Movie Finished". That is because
    I stopped the "key recording" but still allowed the AVI dump. I am fairly disappointed with youtube also, since it literally
    "halved" the frame rate of my videos, and they look a lot... well... "crappier" (if I may) than they really are...

At least youtube has "annotations"... (and believe me, you will see plenty of them. )

Enough chatter! Let's rock.

Green Hill Zone
    Spoiler warning:

Wow, I am kinda excited to show this off.
    I bet some of you want to see me crash in many different and funny ways, but remember
    this is the good old first level... so do not expect me to just hit things randomly.

And, since this is my first "Let's Play", I thought of adding a comic strip from Taeshi's
    "Not Enough Rings" (that I bet you all know by now... but if not, go read my thread. )
    usually related to what will happen in the Zone referenced. So, here:

"Easy bosses look better with sparklies..."

Marble Zone
    Spoiler warning:

Here is the second one. We have now reached the perilous Marble Zone. Will Lil'baby Sonic be safe under Foggy's guidance?
    How many rings will be lost because of the boiling lava pits? And what is the worst, possibly most deadly, mean and vicious
    badnik of them all? Answers to these questions inside...

I chose the next comic strip because I wanted to, instead of making a reference to the
    zone itself, make a reference to the pain that is to go through that special stage hell...

"So true, Taeshi. So... true."

Spring Yard Zone
    Spoiler warning:

Alright, after this we will be halfway through the game. And if Foggy gets the last two emeralds here,
    the second half of the "race" will be much quicker. I like this zone because it is a nice break between
    the tough, slow, Marble Zone, and the equally troublesome Labyrinth. Anyway, I will introduce you
    here to a little something I like to call... the "Leap of Faith"...

The next situation did not, obviously, happened this time. But I have a kinda vague memory of me holding the Sega controller
    and staring at the TV screen for like... some long seconds when the following just happened to me. I believe I was 4, since I
    am pretty sure I took a month or two to finish the game the first time... but without having all the emeralds, I remember that.
    Anyway, "joke's on you":

"And that was how I was first introduced to the concept of suicide..."

Labyrinth Zone
    Spoiler warning:

Gosh, I finally got rid of those crazy special stages. But here comes the Labyrinth Zone. Ouch.
    I tried to be a little more reckless in this one, so there might be some... drowning? Who knows...
    And what about the boss that just flees? You know, I think someone should give him a lesson...

At least the soundtrack is really nice to hear... except when you start drowning, of course.
    Anyway, for those who always wondered, like me, why this Zone's boss is such a strange one:

"Makes a lot of sense now, doesn't it? I would say this totally changes lives..."

Star Light Zone
    Spoiler warning:

Fresh air feels nice. This one is awkwardly easy, but also fast. Really lovely tune, by the way.
    Oh, and I present you with the gift of being able to see my hesitations (read: stalling) during
    the boss battle (that was supposed to be quick) driven by the fear of losing my first ring...

Again, a reference to the boss battle. I also agree that this is one of the easiest boss
    battles in the game. Still, knowing that did not prevent me from being a total slowpoke. ^^'

"Oh, no, please! Do anything you want, but don't remove the springs!! XD"

Scrap Brain Zone
    Spoiler warning:

I am afraid I am going to disappoint you all this time. You see, I kinda... well... "terminated" the recording
    in the transition to Act 3... which means that said Act will be, effectively, part of the "Final Zone" video...
    I know. I am really really sorry! I just thought the first two would take a lot more to finish! x´D

*sigh* ... such a short video. Anyway, this is the last comic I will post here. And if you, after reading the following piece of
    humouristic "yummyness", are still mad because of my unfair video split, I just hope you can be a little more merciful than this:

"And then Willy Wonka came and bought the whole thing..."

All of the posted Sonic comics are part of a work called "Not Enough Rings" and were
    created by Veronica "Taeshi" Vera, known for her "Bittersweet Candy Bowl" (BCB) comic.
    Here is the link to the page:
    http://www.notenoughrings.com/sonic1/index.html

Final Zone (and credits)
    Spoiler warning:

This is it, the Final Zone. Of course, there is Act 3 first, because of my crazy
    (read: "cheaty") split, but that should not take long, so... enjoy the finale!

And that's it. After you watch this one I will reveal the "stats" in the bottom. :3

Hope you enjoyed...
    ...and see you in another Let's Play!

Foggy's "Sonic 1" final results:

LIVES: 10
    EMERALDS: ALL
    CONTINUES: 4

RINGS LOST: 0 ...as in "zero". (^o^)
    SHIELDS LOST: 7 ...hmpf. ¬¬
    LIVES LOST: 0

TOTAL RIDE TIME: 35 : 51 ... (includes Special Stages)
    FINAL SCORE: 430'800 <-------------------- we are almost there in the countbackwards thread! XD

I hope you enjoy!
    Last edited by foggy_han; 17th-May-2012 at 12:30. Reason: _______ FOGGY HAS PASSED ACT 1 _______ *fanfare*

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to foggy_han For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Nice upload I was wondering if you were going to do a sonic let's play was slightly disappointed to click on the second spoiler tag and see the video's not up

oh well just building anticipation I guess looking forward to the continuation of this LP.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
    Nice upload I was wondering if you were going to do a sonic let's play was slightly disappointed to click on the second spoiler tag and see the video's not up

oh well just building anticipation I guess looking forward to the continuation of this LP.
    And I was wondering who would be the first to post...

Well, I was thinking on placing the videos in a daily basis...
    ... but I my rush them if more people come and watch.

But I am glad you are enjoying.

Thanks
    EP Points

Daily would be good or faster it's whatever you feel comfortable with I also subscribed to your youtube channel and liked the video there.

When I was there I saw it already has 9 views not bad for not even being an hour old yet.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught

Thanks
    EP Points

Daily would be good or faster it's whatever you feel comfortable with I also subscribed to your youtube channel and liked the video there.

When I was there I saw it already has 9 views not bad for not even being an hour old yet.
    Subscribing? You can do that on my account?
    Well, I only created the account so I could upload videos, but I do not really intend to open it to public.
    It is only for the "storage" aspect of if. But it is okay if you did. ... oh, and the video was uploaded
    several days before but I had it set to "private" and had to change it so it could be viewed, so maybe
    the date you saw is the modification date... I think...

Thanks
    EP Points

I like the fact that Pewdiepie shows up as a related video.

Good, quick LP.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRealSpiders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah I can subscribe to your channel and like the video the funny thing is your channel tells me you have no videos(probably because of being private.) the only way I can see this on is by going to youtube from the video you posted in the thread.

Also March 26 was the date of the video I was going by the OP in this thread.

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah I can subscribe to your channel and like the video the funny thing is your channel tells me you have no videos(probably because of being private.) the only way I can see this on is by going to youtube from the video you posted in the thread.

Also March 26 was the date of the video I was going by the OP in this thread.
    Oh, makes sense then.

I intend to not let the videos "public", so they can only be viewed when I post the link here.
    (I have been making some research... )

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    I like the fact that Pewdiepie shows up as a related video.

Good, quick LP.
    Well, you can blame "weird tags" for that.
    (what is Pewdiepie anyway? )

I am not going to change the tags, anyway. Here is why:

Quote Originally Posted by foggy_han View Post
    Well, I only created the account so I could upload videos...

Thanks
    EP Points

(what is Pewdiepie anyway? )

I am not going to change the tags, anyway. Here is why:

pewdiepie

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Knightshade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I'm impressed.

I tend to be a bit more completionist in my playthroughs of Sonic games, so I couldn't hope to match your speed. Fun annotations as well.

Eagerly awaiting more, but don't rush yourself. If you plan to release daily, feel free to stick to it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Ivo Robotnik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ivo Robotnik View Post
    Well, I'm impressed.

I tend to be a bit more completionist in my playthroughs of Sonic games, so I couldn't hope to match your speed. Fun annotations as well.

Eagerly awaiting more, but don't rush yourself. If you plan to release daily, feel free to stick to it.
    Eh-he, that is somewhat flattering coming from such a renowned "Sonic Universe" authority.
    Thanks.
    (I had to use the means available, so I played around with the annotations a bit. )

I will probably post the second video tonight, since they are quite short, anyway.

I will be away now, but will come later, hopefully, and see how things are going. ^^

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ya kick my ass at 16 Bit Sonic 1 that's for sure..

My excuse is I grew up with the 8 Bit ones

Good viewing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kouen Hasuki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    Ya kick my ass at 16 Bit Sonic 1 that's for sure..

My excuse is I grew up with the 8 Bit ones

Good viewing.
    Really? Thanks. But I guess you would win if we were both playing it in an elevator.
    Well, that was the first level, afterall. Next one is... ugh... Marble Zone...
    (so expect some crashing next time. )

I played the 8-bit one once, on emulator... did not like much the reaction to the controls... and other things...
    Wait, isn't there an 8-bit Sonic Let's Play here? And why do I have the feeling it is... yours?

I will check that one soon too.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yessir. (Yes, mam?) I get to see Foggy blaze the trail and fail (literally)

Thanks for the LP, I've been waiting for this and it paid off.

One question
    Spoiler warning:
    You want a mic so you can just talk over your videos? annotations are plenty

This gets two up.
    ~SwordOfTime~ Out!
    Last edited by Sheik; 8th-May-2012 at 22:14.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Really? Thanks. But I guess you would win if we were both playing it in an elevator.
    Well, that was the first level, afterall. Next one is... ugh... Marble Zone...
    (so expect some crashing next time. )

I played the 8-bit one once, on emulator... did not like much the reaction to the controls... and other things...
    Wait, isn't there an 8-bit Sonic Let's Play here? And why do I have the feeling it is... yours?

I will check that one soon too.
    yea it is, and I finish the whole game