Thread: [GUIDE] Make a Reprogrammable GameGear Cart

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default [GUIDE] Make a Reprogrammable GameGear Cart

Tutorial On hold until further notice...

Ordinary cartridge without mapper chip:
    Spoiler warning:
    Parts required:
    [1] EPROM programmer
    [2] 3.8mm Gamebit
    [3] Soldering iron
    [4] 49f040 or similar Flash Chip - PLCC style
    [5] ROM image
    [6] 30 Gauge wire
    [7] Donor Cartridge

Notes: Before choosing a donor cartridge to gut, you must first understand that the GameGear frequently used proprietary ROM chips that had custom mappers built in! What that means is that a donor which may have held a game of 128KBs, 322KBs, etc., is only going to be able to hold a 64KB ROM once you slap a flash chip in it. There is however a solution to this troubling news; you must locate a donor cartridge that had a separate mapper chip. The list is very short, but here they are:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Alternatively you may locate a mapper chip from inside a Master System cartridge, but they are in the DIP package so they are very large compared to the SMT chips found in the few GameGear carts. I also do not know which carts you can find these in. They will most likely be found in larger games, so have a look at the complete ROM-sets for sizes.

Step 0.
    DIY:
    If you think you can skip my step by step tutorial, here is the final schematic. Have at it.
    Otherwise, move to Step 1.

Step 1.
    Program your Flash chip:
    Place the chip in your programmer and always check for empty before programming.
    If it is used, erase it.
    Once empty, load your ROM file and press program.

Step 2.
    Prepare the chip:
    For the chip to comfortably fit on the board and for the shell to close, you will have to bend and cut the pins. This is a difficult process and too many bends will break off the pins. First, bend the top and bottom pins straight out using a razor and needle nose pliers. Then, bend the side pins up only partially and then straighten them with your pliers. Next, bend the same pins against the chip and out, as shown in the picture below. Cutting them at an angle like in the photo may also help.

Step 3.
    Locate a donor cartridge.
    If you want to put a game that saves on it, then you need to find a donor cartridge with a save battery. 49f040 flash chips can hold ROMs up to 512KBs but the limit of pcb's without mapper chips is a sad 64KBs. I will soon do a tutorial on pcb's with mapper chips.

Step 4.
    Cartridge PCB revealed:
    Open the cartridge with your 3.8mm gamebit.

Step 5.
    Donor Cart prepared:
    Carefully remove the Mask rom by cutting the pins with a razor. Then slide your soldering iron across the board to smooth out the pads you cut from and to remove bits of the pins that were left behind. If there is a mapper chip, do not remove it. These may be labeled "315-5912."

Step 6.
    Wires Placed:
    Now, place the wires to the pads that do not make direct contact with the flash chip.

Step 7.
    Flash ROM Placed:
    Line up the Flash Rom as carefully as possible. The chip will not be perfectly straight because of the pin placement, so before soldering, check it again!
    My parallel cable has been misplaced while moving out for the summer, so I cannot program any chips until I find it. I obviously do not want to bend the pins with them un-programmed. Step 10 will remedy this setback once I finish it.
    pic coming soon.

Step 8.
    Wires Attached:
    Now, curl the wires toward the chip and attach them one-by-one to their appropriate locations. Refer to the schematic at the top of the post. Be careful!
    pic coming soon.

Step 9.
    Finished:
    [Close up your cartridge and test it out in your Sega Game Gear.

Majesco Caesar's Palace with 27c2000 PLCC:
    Spoiler warning:
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 24th-January-2013 at 02:08.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Optional:
    Program and reprogram your custom cartridges time and again without the hassle of removing the chip or building a new cart!
    Build a GG cart programmer:

Spoiler warning:

Step 10.
    Locate your cartridge slot pins.
    I currently have four Sega GG's but only two work becuase of those pesky capacitors. Rather than fixing them, I chose to use one for parts and will construct a GG cart programmer. It will basically interface the GG cartridge with my Willem Programmer by connecting all of the pins to some pin headers that will go into my programmer. This step requires that you dissasemble your Game Gear.

Step 11.
    Desolder the pins.
    This part is rather tricky becuase the cartridge slot is also held in place by some metal rivets. I was able to cut at mine with a pair of nail clippers until they could be pulled through.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Ty! give a try.Play a game in your old console is the best.
    P ¡¡¡¡I hate DLC gen!!!
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-November-2012 at 19:13.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by tatsuya View Post
    Ty! give a try.Play a game in your old console is the best.
    P ¡¡¡¡I hate fucking DLC gen!!!
    Well, I realized after finishing the tutorial that cartridges without a separate mapper chip cannot hold games larger than 64KBs. That is bad. Most games are at least twice this size and the good ones are even larger...The problem is that Game Gear used a special technology that included a type of mapper chip inside of the mask ROM chip. We cannot imitate this.
    Basically I am saying that you should not use a donor that is smaller than 1MB. These games include:
    Garfield - Caught in the Act
    Jurassic Park - The Lost World
    Sonic Blast
    Virtua Fighter Animation
    Virtua Fighter Mini (Japan only)

If you do not own any of these games (like me) do not bother.
    Once I locate one of these games, I will finish the tutorial.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Re-opened

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just bought a cartridge with an on-board mapper chip, so expect this tutorial to be completed soon!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Just bought a cartridge with an on-board mapper chip, so expect this tutorial to be completed soon!
    Its only been about a year since I last posted that, but I mean it now! I may finish this tutorial and actually get it to work!