Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS2 Mod question.

JadeSaber Guest

Default PS2 Mod question.

I appologize for reposting this, but I thought I might need to change the post header for better results. I tried to edit the original, but it didn't seem to change it...at least on my end.

I have a PS2 (SCPH-30001) and I am concidering getting a mod chip for it so I can try the Genesis and SNES emulators that were released recently. I would also like to play backups again of PS1 games so I don't have to worry about DDR getting scratched.
    What are your suggestions on the best mod chip for PS2?
    I checked out modchip.com and they have both a solder and non solder version, but they require GameShark 2 for playing backups. Are there any that do not require GS2?

I hated to have to ask, but I figure it is going to cost me the same either way if I replace my old, now non-working PS with a new PS1 and chip or get my PS2 modded. Besides, if I can get my PS2 playing all the PS games, I won't need the PS1 at all.

Thanks, guys.

And sorry again for the repost.

JCgamer60 Guest

i use a neo 2.2 to play all my ps2 emulators and psx backups.

my model number is SCPH-30001r

Thanks

all ps2 chips require gameshark to play ps2 backup only, every other type of backup plays just like that

JCgamer60 Guest

not true ultimate x the messiah modchip boots all backups and imports without using a gameshark same with the new magic 2 chip.

Thanks

i dont know much about chips
    my cusin got mine chip and i have 25 ps2 backups

JCgamer60 Guest

have u tried any of the emulators?

NeroMaverick Guest

Personally I'd rather go with the non-soilder chip. I heard that the other ones have a possiblty of ruining your PS2 over time.

Thanks

i dont get what your trying to say

JCgamer60 Guest

who me?

Thanks

my coment was going to JC

i get what nero was saying

JCgamer60 Guest

here are some sites where u can find out about console emulation. www.ps2-emulation.com, www.consolevision.com.

for the snes emulator for the ps2:http://snes-station.emuunlim.com/
    for genesis emulator for ps2 go here:pgen.gamebase.ca

JadeSaber Guest

Thanks for the sites. I am going to check them all out as soon as I get off this board.

And Ultimate X, I just wanted to get as many opinions on which mod chip is best. Some people have experience and know things the sites won't tell.

I really do appreciate all the feedback. So far I have found out the following that I didn't know:

1: You may not need a mod chip for playing the emulators.
    2: There are apparently mod chips that plug in the USB, thus keeping the expansion slot open for a modem in the future.
    3: The subject on Messiah being able to play backups without a GameShark 2 is still kinda up in the air as well as what the difference is between regular Messiah and Blue Messiah besides $10 price tag.

Thanks, guys and I am really sorry I posted this the extra posts. I know it's annoying, but I made a mistake.

JCgamer60 Guest

you dont need a modchip to play emulators or backups. you can play backups and emulators using the knife trick with the gameshark but its kind of risky.

JadeSaber Guest

Risky eh? I will check on it.

I have been doing some searching on the Messiah chips. They do not require disc swapping, apparently. But it seems they are in such great demand that they may be hard to find.
    http://www.messiah-mods.com/ says that they ship to MOST countries. And they say the price is just �59.95. What is this in US$? I assume it is a solder chip, but the picture there suggests it fits into some expansion slot or something.

Another thing that worries me is that I still can't figure out if this chip would work on my PS2. I can't tell for sure which version I have. Here is what the site says:

"If there are 10 screws and no 'Hazard' warning imprinted in to the bottom of your case you have a Version 3. If there are 8 screws and the 'Hazard' warning imprinted into the bottom of your case you have either a Version 4 or Version 5. Next look at your model number, if it ends with the letter 'R' then it is a version 5. If there is no 'R' it's a Version 4."

I have 10 screws, the model is SCHP-30001. There is the warning sticker on the bottom, but it does NOT say Hazard. It says Caution and Attention. Since it is not imprinted, but it is one of the first US release machines that came out a month after release date I would like to know if this thing's gonna work before I buy it.

Also, there is no mention of BLUE messiah. I am going to keep digging and checking back here.

ONE more thing...one site says Sony has taken the company to court. Will I be able to even GET a mod chip of this kind if I want one? There are places on backorder for goodness sake!

But I do like the inclusion of the free Macrovision disabler. Of course, my VCR doesn't recognize it anyway, but it's cool.

JadeSaber Guest

Ok, on another site I dug this little tidbit. I am mostly posting this for others who are searching as well.

For Messiah Modchip enquiries please e-mail us at
    [email protected]

My ICQ is 85056265

For those who are waiting the Messiah Modchip with full USA support (real messiah, not a clone!)
    Click here to email us. We will email you back when the chip will be released.

Main Features

Non Swap Function (direct booting)
    Currently Supported Consoles: V3 / V4 / V5 PAL (all regions) and V4 Mainboard NTSC US
    (scph-30001 and scph-35001 without "R") Check your PS2 mainboard version
    Allows you to play PSX and PS2 Backups, Original Imports and PSX/2 Hong Kong Silvers
    Play PS2 CDR, DVDR, Originals and Imports
    For PSX Games, the screen size is corrected for both NTSC / PAL Consoles when playing import titles
    23 Wire Installation