Thread: Are these good specs?

Thanks

Default Are these good specs?

I finally want to build my self a nice computer. For usage, it'll be running eclipse and chrome daily, and my goal would be to have a computer capable of ps2 emulation.

Here are the specs I've been looking at:
    CPU: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor (3.4GHz with 8MB Cache)
    Ram: 8GB4 DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
    Gfx: AMD Radeon™ HD 6770

Does that i7 and the 8gigs of ddr3 sound good? would it be worth it to jump up to 16gb of ram? And I know absolutely nothing about gfx cards, would I be better off getting an nVidia card?

I would love a reference point of what the current specs I have could handle.
    Last edited by j33k; 21st-April-2012 at 18:27.
    makeSNES, tutorials & talk on SNES game development: makeSNES.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

best specs

Thanks
    EP Points

Will definitely be capable of emulating a PS2, but to be honest, a modded PS2 would be much cheaper.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by j33k View Post
    I finally want to build my self a nice computer. For usage, it'll be running eclipse and chrome daily, and my goal would be to have a computer capable of ps2 emulation.

Here are the specs I've been looking at:
    CPU: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor (3.4GHz with 8MB Cache)
    Ram: 8GB4 DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
    Gfx: AMD Radeon™ HD 6770

Does that i7 and the 8gigs of ddr3 sound good? would it be worth it to jump up to 16gb of ram? And I know absolutely nothing about gfx cards, would I be better off getting an nVidia card?

I would love a reference point of what the current specs I have could handle.
    As for a reference point that system could handle Skyrim on medium settings and most other current PC games on medium to high settings.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks

This was stated on the hangout, but you should consider getting the 7570 (I think that was what it was, another person was considering the 6770). The performance is almost the same (slightly less pending your operation, slightly better if your resolution isn't 1080 and such) and uses 60 watts less the majority of the time. It's an entry level graphics card, but still more than good enough for PS2 emulation. Ram should be a little faster since 800 is entry level speed, but 1333 is the standard right now and sadly, that Intel model only supports up to 1333mhz.

@Knightshade: I'm not fully sure, but I think he meant for emulating the PS2 itself, not modern PC games. Still, thanks for pointing that out so he knows what it can do outside of emulating old consoles.

My 6510D can operate most PS2 games and maxes out frequently on games that are heavy in graphics like FF12, Trapt, or Front Mission 5. When I put it at speed hack level 2 for graphics it works fine. Almost forgot to mention, the 6510D is about half the ROI speed (makes a difference) and uses DDR3 ram, not GDDR5. That alone should tell you the 6770 or the 7570 is more than enough to handle the job. The emulator authors themselves suggest using an 8800 GT as it is, which is around 800 for benchmarking, while the 6510D is around 500, 7570 is 1838 with 6770 close by it.

The processor itself should do the trick as well, but will not play every game. When I mean every game, I mean the ones they haven't fixed yet. Most often, Zone of the Enders and a few others won't really play that well, no matter what. Still, they have included a feature to use more than two cores now and with that CPU, should get the job done if the emulator can run the game with said hack. Altogether, a great build. Just be wary of your Power Supply. On average, you'll be using 250 watts at typical full usage and most of that wattage will com from the 22a. You don't need a beast of a Power Supply, but consider spending $50 of a good one instead of a $20 one or one that comes with a case. I would recommend at least a 400 watt, if not closer to 500 to be safe. Also, get a PSU with a large fan, 140 mm is the best right now and will save your ears when playing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Nemo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

@Mr. Nemo, thanks for all the tips on the power supply and fan. Any thoughts on the AMD Radeon HD 6870 card? I was looking at that one too.

@Knightshade, I was talking about emulating the ps2 but that is a really good reference point because I've played Skyrim too, thank you.

If my typical usage is internet, eclipse, and ps2 emulation, would bumping up my 8gigs of ram to 12 or 16 make any difference? Would it improve emulating in any way?
    makeSNES, tutorials & talk on SNES game development: makeSNES.wordpress.com

Thanks

6870 is overkill for your current needs, but since it isn't that big of a leap, might as well if you are willing to deal with the need for a better power supply and overall noise. You will need a 6pin cable for it, so make sure your power supply has one. There are adapters for one, but you must be careful since the lead for the molex cable you'll use may be with other attachments and you don't want to combine power to teh same when you can. Most crap PSU are like that and I had to get an adpater because mine have the sata cables on the same lead, causing it to fail when booting.

In regards to the graphic card, consider looking at the 7000 series. They are the new line and mainly use less energy, allowing for less noise. In experience though, last series model for every generation is usually cheaper in current price,so pick whatever poison you can tolerate.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Nemo For This Useful Post:

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

Bump it up to a 68xx series card and at least 1600mhz ram and you'll have a sick machine capable of a lot more than emulation. I wouldn't go for less unless you're forced to work with a smaller budget but need some power. Don't forget to get a quality power supply from xfx/seasonic/silverstone/coolermaster/corsair/antec and use a wattage calculator to determine how much you'll need for the system.