Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Console Controls or PC Controls?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jmurjeff View Post
    Definitely have a usb and wireless mouse on stand by. I don't use it often but the scroll wheel is awesome. It offers a lot more control as well.

Now as for the original question, I prefer console control for the majority of rpgs. FPS I prefer keyboard and mouse as well as RTS. Sports games going to have to go with console control. But really I mean pc you can hook up anything.
    My right stick is my scroll wheel

Thanks
    EP Points

I use a controller that's similar to a PS controller. I have it set up so I can use it for different consoles.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

*wanders in*

Guess I'll finally say...

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Console controls, of course.
    This. No matter what genre, I prefer using a console controller. RTS? Console. FPS? Console. RPG? Console. You'll rarely, if ever, see me play a PC game without a console controller plugged in being used (most of the time the DS3). And if you do, it's likely for one reason: I have no controller to plug in at the time and I want to play the game anyway.

I can see why some prefer PC, but console controls are just more comfortable to me.

Also, don't really get why people have such difficulty with the trackpads. I beat the Penumbra games (and a few other FPS and RTS games) with it without any real difficulty when I didn't have the DS3 or another controller handy

Actually, I'll modify one statement. ALMOST no matter what genre. The text based games are a little difficult with a console controller

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mouse > anything. If you don't think so you simply need a better, likely more expensive mouse.

That being said I don't play console games on the PC because emulation sucks. So I don't know what it would be like to play a console game with a keyboard and mouse.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp-Luc Picard View Post
    Mouse > nothing. If you don't think so you simply need a better, likely more expensive mouse.

That being said I don't play console games on the PC because emulation sucks. So I don't know what it would be like to play a console game with a keyboard and mouse.
    Fixed.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't see how anyone could prefer a console controller. They are bulky and not precise.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp-Luc Picard View Post
    I don't see how anyone could prefer a console controller. They are bulky and not precise.
    And there are people who don't see how anybody could prefer mouse/keyboard. I can see why both sides have support, and I'm on the console controller side.

Though I will say that (something like the original Xbox controller aside) I've not considered any controller bulky as of yet, and I've found controllers to be more precise than mice (and before you ask, I've tried many different brands of mice) in FPS and RTS games. For example, I did MUCH worse in Suffering before I swapped out to the controller and began using that rather than a mouse. But that's just one man's opinion.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The two most awkward controllers for me are Xbox and N64 (which was my first console). Sony's design has clearly become the most successful and it's not terrible. The very first games I played were on the pc and I got used to moving around with the keyboard and mouse. In the end that's what it boils down to I suppose.

To me an RTS would be something in which I could absolutely not use a controller. I need to be able to move across the screen fast and hotkey with my mouse like there is no tomorrow. I don't think I could adapt to using a console controller. FPS would be similar although I don't play them that much. At least all controllers have 2 sticks now. *remembers playing shooters on the N64*

Thanks

I kind of support both, because the PC controls are much more accurate for FPS, and has many more available keys for RTS, meanwhile the Console controls are much more comfortable and better suited for fighting games (although i'd prefer the arcade machine controls for fighting games). Although there are some pretty ridiculous controllers for the console, like the N64 and the Gamecube ones.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Oh yeah, no way I'm playing a fighter w/o a stick.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthias View Post
    This. No matter what genre, I prefer using a console controller. RTS? Console. FPS? Console. RPG? Console.
    Impossible. Poor. Workable but, much less customization. As for analogue greater than mice: . If a PC FPS has controller support, it likely has aim assist to make it easier on the user.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 4th-May-2012 at 14:25.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Rikenax View Post
    Impossible. Poor. Workable but, much less customization. As for analogue greater than mice: . If a PC FPS has controller support, it likely has aim assist to make it easier on the user.
    Believe what you want. I stated what is true in my case. Did I ever say that it would be in all or most? I do not think so, and if I did, I didn't intend to, and thus apologize for doing so. I have no idea which would be true in all/most, nor do I particularly care.

Also, aim assist is turned off on any I play (if there is an option for it). And in the case of Suffering (as with most games that don't have controller support), I mapped the mouse to the right analog.

Bottom line is they both have pros and cons. I'm not here to try and convince you one is better than the other, I simply decided to randomly pop in and state my preference, giving a few reasons why.
    Last edited by Tanthias; 4th-May-2012 at 15:19.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Believe what you want. I stated what is true in my case. Did I ever say that it would be in all or most? I do not think so, and if I did, I didn't intend to, and thus apologize for doing so. I have no idea which would be true in all/most, nor do I particularly care.

Also, aim assist is turned off on any I play (if there is an option for it). And in the case of Suffering (as with most games that don't have controller support), I mapped the mouse to the right analog.

Bottom line is they both have pros and cons. I'm not here to try and convince you one is better than the other, I simply decided to randomly pop in and state my preference, giving a few reasons why. Now that that's been done, aside from making sure this thread doesn't get out of hand, I have no reason to come back in *tips scalp in farewell*
    The prospect of an RTS with a controller sent me into the deep end, sorry . I'm not heavy on hotkeys but, I use them. A controller just isn't suited for zooming about the map, selecting groups of units, assigning targets, going back to your base(s) and setting units to build and structures to produce units .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Rikenax View Post
    The prospect of an RTS with a controller sent me into the deep end, sorry . I'm not heavy on hotkeys but, I use them. A controller just isn't suited for zooming about the map, selecting groups of units, assigning targets, going back to your base(s) and setting units to build and structures to produce units .
    Check your CP.

I'll actually just pop back in to say one thing: It could simply be the fact I'm more used to console controls in the genre. After all, the first RTS game I recall playing (not saying it was the first, since I may have played others I do not recall) was Warcraft 2 on PSX. I beat the human campaign (both before and after the gate, as I recall), then when I tried to replay it on PC, I did rather horribly, barely getting past the first several stages (well, not the super easy tutorial ones, but the ones after ). Swapped back to console controls (plugged a controller in the PC, not went back to the PSX version. Didn't have a PSX or have it bought on PSN (assuming I do now, which I don't recall) at the time I tried replaying ) and had no issue getting through said levels

Anywho, I probably won't be popping back in as a participant, so farewell, gentlemen *tips scalp once again*

Thanks
    EP Points

Bottom line is they both have pros and cons. I'm not here to try and convince you one is better than the other, I simply decided to randomly pop in and state my preference, giving a few reasons why.
    This.

Also for RTS games it's not bad, a 360/PS3 or equivalent controller has many buttons to be customized. You guys should see all the xpadder profiles I have