Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: IDSA Attacks emuparadise.org! *Must Read*

Thanks

Well, if I made a game, I'd feel bad if others gave it away for free, especially if I could make profit from it. But if I don't make a dime out of it anymore, why worry about emulation - they're old-school games essentially unavailable on the market anymore. I would be glad that others are playing my games. Up to that point, I think it's permissible.

But technically, aren't the games considered as intellectual property? At least textbooks are, and photocopying old textbooks is still a violation of copyright law.

Either way, it's a sticky issue. And btw, you don't have to beat the living daylights out of Thriveslam and get all riled up about his comments. I'm sure that he's just blowing hot air - just look at his sig.

Thanks

3) Our host does NOT store our warez/roms for us, end of story, they cannot attack our host for that, you should read the email they sent on the first page of this thread and see exactly WHAT we are accused of. Amen.
    As the provider for the web site, webmasters are fully liable for any and all content that appears on their web space. Plus, as an ISP, you are exposed to contributory and vicarious liability for providing the service space on which these sites reside.
    2) You're overlooking the fact that US copyright laws are just that, US copyright laws, they don't apply all over the world, different places have different laws.
    I don't understand? Your still breaking US copyright laws. And I know the netherlands has copyright laws so why don't they honor US copyright laws, if in fact they don't.
    1) You're wrong about IDSA contacting the host first, I can recommend you plenty instanced when they contacted the webmaster directly and NOT the host. (emusanet, romseeker, and more..)
    No matter what the IDSA contacts the host. Since the host is responsible. Always first or at the same time. What your implimenting is(remeber Jesus used these) Say that your kid is runing around putting graffti on everything. You think the cops are gonna tell the kid to stop and hope he does. or do you think they are gonna call the parents to let them know of his/hers vandalism. Okay its a poor image but you get the point.
    4) Are you in the LEGAL wing of your company or just blowing air out here ?
    Nope =D, I work for Capcom, marketing and sales....

Thanks

Aren't we supposed to respect different points of view, not blow them out of the ground? Even though we're an emulation site.

Good analogy, Thriveslam. Well, there are arguments on both sides of the issue, and, though we are reluctant to give reasons supporting the other side, deep down, we know they exist, but we suppress them.

As for you, Thriveslam, working at Capcom? Whatever.

Thanks
    EP Points

1) The Netherlands doesn't follow/impliment US copyright laws, you know it, and we're not in the Netherlands. Why they don't honour them is their buisness, look at China, BLATANT piracy.. can the IDSA do ANYTHING ? NO!

2) Our webhost doesn't provide us space for roms, we don't ditribute them off our host and they're NOT on our webspace, simple as that. If you don't get it now, you never will..

3) The content NEVER appears on our webspace (except for the Atari Roms)

Somebody please read up why copyright law was made and type it in here cauz I can't be bothered to, and I have done a lot of research on this subject so I know what we're talking about..

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh yeah, and Thriveslam, do read the email again.. you'll get the picture, hopefully..

Thanks

I thought copyright law was to prevent people from unfairly gaining access/using resources created by another individual's hard work. That would include distribution and reproduction. But whatever ... I'm still in support of this site.

Thriveslam's not going to change his mind. At this rate, this thread is going to become the next record-breaking topic.

MasJ, if your definition of copyright is right, why can't we photocopy old textbooks?

Thanks

...we are the evil ones... Hahahahahaha!
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't know, no one ever told me not to, hmmz.. come to think of it, I never did, lol. I'll have to check this one up

Thanks

1) The Netherlands doesn't follow/impliment US copyright laws, you know it, and we're not in the Netherlands. Why they don't honour them is their buisness, look at China, BLATANT piracy.. can the IDSA do ANYTHING
    **** China
    2) Our webhost doesn't provide us space for roms, we don't ditribute them off our host and they're NOT on our webspace, simple as that. If you don't get it now, you never will..
    Okay then well it appears you do to them, but someone is hosting illegal shit for you and your linking to it, and also your trying to make it look like emuparadise is hosting them. Eitherway IDSA had buisness to do with this site.

To answer why I hang out at this message board, well I came here for Game Gear emulation cuz my gamegear broke down. Well i saw the boards and loved the community, I also love debates...
    Last edited by Thriveslam; 10th-August-2002 at 21:03.

Thanks

Well, nobody cares about the posters that tell us that. But they're official and state a whole bunch of law crap in the middle.

Whole bunch of posters with fine print plastered in the photocopy room telling us what we can and what we can't photocopy. And they say that photocopying textbooks is exploiting intellectual property.

As long as you're not distributing them - nobody knows and nobody cares.

Good work, Thriveslam. The debate is going nicely. Now if only we could put a cap on our emotions.

Thanks

Here it is straight from the site.

What does copyright protect?
    Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed.

How much of someone else's work can I use without getting permission?
    Under the fair use doctrine of the U.S. copyright statute, it is permissible to use limited portions of a work including quotes, for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, and scholarly reports. There are no legal rules permitting the use of a specific number of words, a certain number of musical notes, or percentages of a work. Whether a particular use qualifies as fair use depends on all the circumstances
    (YEP THATS IT)

Somebody infringed my copyright. What can I do?
    A party may seek to protect his or her copyrights against unauthorized use by filing a civil lawsuit in Federal district court. If you believe that your copyright has been infringed, consult an attorney. In cases of willful infringement for profit, the U.S. Attorney may initiate a criminal investigation.

Is my copyright good in other countries?
    The United States has copyright relations with more than 100 countries throughout the world, and as a result of these agreements, we honor each other's citizens' copyrights. However, the United States does not have such copyright relationships with every country. For a listing of countries and the nature of their copyright relations with the United States, see US copy right relations

Could I be sued for using somebody else's work? How about quotes or samples?
    If you use a copyrighted work without authorization, the owner may be entitled to bring an infringement action against you. There are circumstances under the fair use doctrine where a quote or a sample may be used without permission. However, in cases of doubt, the Copyright Office recommends that permission be obtained.

How do I protect my sighting of Elvis?
    Copyright law does not protect sightings. However, copyright law will protect your photo (or other depiction) of your sighting of Elvis. Just send it to us with a form VA application and the $30 filing fee. No one can lawfully use your photo of your sighting, although someone else may file his own photo of his sighting. Copyright law protects the original photograph, not the subject of the photograph.

Thanks

1) The Netherlands doesn't follow/impliment US copyright laws, you know it, and we're not in the Netherlands. Why they don't honour them is their buisness, look at China
    If you read the relations chart they do follow SOME Us copyright laws

Thanks

I'm not sure on China but lots of Asian countries are trying to crack down, feeble attempts just to say they are imo. Privacy brings in big revenue for them, so I don't see it going away soon.

Thanks
    EP Points

but someone is hosting illegal shit for you and your linking to it, and also your trying to make it look like emuparadise is hosting them. Eitherway IDSA has buisness to do with this site.

I don't think I have anymore to say, seeing the spirit our members provide us, I think it's better we voluntarily shut the site down, what do you say Thriveslam ?

Thanks

Thriveslam... you seem more to be a lawyer than anything else...
    MasJ...I know you will keep emuparadise up...you get my vote!
    Knight of Nachos (if you can read this)...Shining Force 3... the crave...
    Galcian ... change your signature...lol
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.