Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: IDSA Attacks emuparadise.org! *Must Read*

Thanks

The board definitely has something about it; the dynamics were fascinating, so I decided to jump into the fray. Something about the style of posts by gamers. A vibrant community started by the hard work of a few individuals - thanks, MasJ!

Galcian, not to undermine your point, but you probably would still buy those Nintendo consoles whether emulation existed or not.

IDSA can't really stop the distribution of ROMs on a private scale, but they'll do all they can to stop them being distributed on a public scale. Whether they succeed or not is up for grabs.

BTW nobody responded directly to my copyright quote about the book.

Thanks
    EP Points

We'll definitely stay up, no doubt about that, but I don't want to sort of lower our rom count, so I need to find some ways to let the roms flow...

Melania Guest

You'll think of something, MasJ! Maybe you can make some secret subsites and post them here or something... Just an idea...

Thanks

The IDSA has always contacted the site first, BEFORE talking to the host, that has always been their policy and this utter lack of respect does deserve to get them flamed, for whatever matter or not.
    IDSA always contacts the host first, always, it has never been the other way.

Originally posted by MasJ
    Thriveslam, if they have their copyright on the games, we're not violating it , since we're not changing ANYTHING in the game, it's the hacks that violate copyrights.
    U.S. Copyright laws permit making a "backup" copy of computer programs for archival purposes. However, the right to make backup copies of computer programs for archival purposes, as embodied in 17 U.S.C. Section 117(2), does not in any way authorize the owner of a copy of a video or computer game to post or download a copy of that game to or from the Internet. Section 117(2) only gives the owner of the copy a right to make an archival copy of the actual copy that he/she legally possesses, not to make a copy of the ROM that someone else legally possesses, nor to post an archival copy of his/her original copy for distribution.
    DO you know the meaning of copyright ?? It's got NOTHING to do with distribution.
    yea
    Other than that, I don't expect the IDSA to respect a roms site or whatever they call us, warez site maybe, and as far as that is concerned, our host is also bound by contracts and terms with us, so they can't stop service like that, even the IDSA knows that, then why this foolishly lame attempt ?
    If the hosts contract with you allows you to host illegal warez, they are bound to get sued by the IDSA.

Thriveslam, If I made a game and copyrighted it, and then saw it wasn't making any money I'd be more than willing to give it away for free. Even the copyright costs money, and why they sit placing their money on something which doesn't MAKE money anymore is a part of the corporate story I'll never understand.
    Because copyrights and trademarks of games are corporate assets. For example, Atari sold there library of games to hasbro interactive for an ass load of cash, I hope you understand now.

You think we're fools without any knowledge of the law running an emulation site for over two years ? Well, think again. [
    nope

You asked if I worked for IDSA, actually I work in the video game industry and my company hires the IDSA.

Boshi Guest

long time no see Melania

Thanks
    EP Points

Thriveslam,
    1) You're wrong about IDSA contacting the host first, I can recommend you plenty instanced when they contacted the webmaster directly and NOT the host. (emusanet, romseeker, and more..)

2) You're overlooking the fact that US copyright laws are just that, US copyright laws, they don't apply all over the world, different places have different laws.

3) Our host does NOT store our warez/roms for us, end of story, they cannot attack our host for that, you should read the email they sent on the first page of this thread and see exactly WHAT we are accused of. Amen.

4) Are you in the LEGAL wing of your company or just blowing air out here ?

Melania Guest

Someone from a video game company on a rom site? It's getting weirder and weirder... What's next?

Thanks

So may it be that Thriveslam is checking us? A spy, if you are willing to call him like that? Hmmm...

Intellectual rights... Copyrights... old games that make no profit$ to the companies...half-assed rehashes... well well :nosmile:

Sorry Thriveslam...you have just won my distrust, even if your arguments are true and make a point.

The industry depends on us..and solely on the consumers... I would like to see what the ISDA would to to the millions of persons who have isos, roms or copies of software? The companies that want to protect so much their copyrights would have to sue, like, the 80% of their customers? The same people that go and buy their new consoles? Those evil outlaws! God, even if they don't make a cent of it! Get them to jail? That is called suicide.
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.

Thanks
    EP Points

Companies do too spend billions of dollars to sue, protect, copyright, etc etc. Why do you think your games cost $50 rather than $10 ?? Thats not all production costs, considering a CD costs $0.5 and they pay the programmers less than $1 for every copy sold..

Thanks

Nah, he's just blowing air, trying to sound impresive and such. MasJ will get this sorted, and if needed someone with real law experience can help him out.

Zero126 Guest

What if The IDSA sent me an email just cuz I have 3 traslated roms hosted on my site (click on my banner!!!). What if they start cracking down on sites that have 1 or 2 roms on there site. That would be sad . Well the only Roms I download from here are the CPS2 and the Neo-Geo roms. Hey MasJ, can you put Metal Slug 3, Metal Slug 4, and Kof2001(the NeoRAGEx hacks) on the site?

Thanks
    EP Points

Metal Slug 3 is already there, I'll put MS4 and KOF2000 and KOF2001 after sometime.. [working on something else atm]
    And no, the IDSA doesn't bother with small sites, only extra huge sites like emuparadise :nosmile:

Melania Guest

Just as I said, when whatever kind of illegal site gets too big, the law steps in and ruins it all.

Thanks
    EP Points

LOL Illegal sites are meant to get ruined But emulation is still not illegal, hm.. but try explaining that to the IDSA.. hehe

Thanks

Thriveslam...explain to us what is your interest in coming to this webpage? To defend the rights of the companies that only think in themselves, and not in the consumers?

I may use emulators for old systems, but I'm willing to buy some old games, and definitively buy the new games I want. I do not believe in modern console emulation. I come from the time where 8 and 16 bit ruled... times that are gone. In my opinion, today's games are no match for those vintage games.

I will buy Panzer Dragoon Zwei,Doom III,Metroid Prime... and the old cartridges for my Master System, NES and Snes from eBay, because I regularly buy old games from the internet or stores here in my home land, but there are certain USED games that are waaay too expensive and rare (used ones like the Rondo of Blood, SoTN and Panzer Dragoon)...which make no profit to the corporations or companies. Quality games. Childhood memories. Let me relive my childhood moments in peace. We are not raping, I mean, violating their rights...
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.