Thread: Legend Of Grimrock: calling all dungeon crawling fans.

Thanks

Default Legend Of Grimrock: calling all dungeon crawling fans.

http://www.grimrock.net/

This is a "proper" indie title that was in development for quite some time now. Released on 11th of April - can preorder now with lots of goodies and unbeatable price of 12 bucks.

It`s an old-school PC style dungeon crawler. Think Eye Of The Beholder, Dungeon Master, Wizardry. If you`re a jRpg fan - Etrian Odyssey or Class Of Heroes.

Why I`m excited:
    -proper, "serious" atmosphere: none of this recent indie RPG parody/ironic style.
    -totally grid based with real time combat
    -puzzle/trap heavy
    -automap - but also option to switch it off and get your grid-paper out :)
    -you can get it from three sources: GOG, Steam, or straight from their site - for a DRM hater like me this is great news.

Definitely worth checking out, nothing like it is being released anymore.

EDIT: hope it doesn`t count as "advertising": I`m just a fan, spreading the word etc...
    Last edited by akeley; 31st-March-2012 at 11:27. Reason: disclaimer

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I prefer to stick to the classics, new dungeon crawlers never turn out to be much fun (for me anyway).

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hmm, $12.00 is certainly tempting. I have spent more on worst looking games.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Any idea if any of the pre-order bonuses are of physical nature?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    I prefer to stick to the classics, new dungeon crawlers never turn out to be much fun
    This is unfortunately true. I like Japanese ones, but they`re a totally different story. This game is actually the only western indie RPG (apart from Knights of The Chalice) I think is worth trying out, rest leaves me cold.

So far, it seems to press all the right pressure-plates (pun intended) regarding gameplay, looks rather good too - and I like how they listened to fans during development (old school mode with no automap, accessibility mode for a disabled fellow) So, 12$ is a plunge even mega-skeptic like me is willing to take ;)

I think it will be only 15$ retail price anyway, so you can wait for reviews - I`m sure to say few unbiased words after I play for a bit. I think bonus thingies will be purely digital - it says something about grid paper "you can print yourself" here: http://www.grimrock.net/buy/#preorder_bonus - but that`s understandable, for that money it would be impossible to send physical products.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by akeley View Post
    This is unfortunately true. I like Japanese ones, but they`re a totally different story. This game is actually the only western indie RPG (apart from Knights of The Chalice) I think is worth trying out, rest leaves me cold.
    I tried Etrian Odyssey and Class of Heroes, just couldn't get into them. Does this one have some sort of plot?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Looks like I'll be waiting for this one to come out before I get my hands on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    I tried Etrian Odyssey and Class of Heroes, just couldn't get into them. Does this one have some sort of plot?
    I love Etrian for the mood and unforgivable gameplay. Doubt there`ll be any serious plot in this one - there`s something about prisoners escaping - but I figure "plot" writes itself in puzzles and combat. Just like in EoB/DM

Thanks

I will be getting it on GOG, not decided if I want to preorder or wait until later though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Gog has a good offer of this game including 8 free awesome bonuses. I will try to get this good looking game when it will be released.