Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFVIII "jumpy" graphics issue

Thanks

Default FFVIII "jumpy" graphics issue

Here's the issue: Everything looks perfect when it's standing still, however as soon as any character moves, all the edges of the moving start leaping around. It looks like everyone is shaking when they walk.
    I'm using eSPXe 1.7.0 with Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9. I have tried what seems to be almost every conceivable combination of options including the different recommended ones on these forums. I tried every special game fix just for the heck of it. I tried older versions of eSPXe and Pete's OpenGL. All to no avail, even if it's on a super low graphic setting and is supper pixilated, the edges of a character still shake when they walk. The movie clips work just fine, it's something with the game itself.
    My computer specs:
    Windows 7
    Quad core AMD APU @ 2.9GHz
    16g ram
    ATI Radeon HD 5800 graphics card
    1 terabyte hard drive

I know this game can work because it worked on my old gaming laptop (that has since died) just fine. While overall not as good as my current computer, the big differences are that it had Vista (shudder) and an Nvidia graphics card. I also was using eSPXe 1.5.2 I think, but that version doesn't work on this computer either.
    With that in mind, I tried a variety of settings on my graphics card, but still the same issue. I tried compatibility mode for vista...nothing changed.
    The game versions I've tried are NTSC-U as an ISO file and E as a bin file. Both have the exact same issue. Oh and I tried a variety of Bios/s but the current one I'm using is scph7502.

If anyone has any idea how to solve this issue, I would very much appreciate it. I've been exasperated trying to figure it out.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by DCPower View Post
    Here's the issue: Everything looks perfect when it's standing still, however as soon as any character moves, all the edges of the moving start leaping around. It looks like everyone is shaking when they walk.
    I'm using eSPXe 1.7.0 with Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9. I have tried what seems to be almost every conceivable combination of options including the different recommended ones on these forums. I tried every special game fix just for the heck of it. I tried older versions of eSPXe and Pete's OpenGL. All to no avail, even if it's on a super low graphic setting and is supper pixilated, the edges of a character still shake when they walk. The movie clips work just fine, it's something with the game itself.
    My computer specs:
    Windows 7
    Quad core AMD APU @ 2.9GHz
    16g ram
    ATI Radeon HD 5800 graphics card
    1 terabyte hard drive

I know this game can work because it worked on my old gaming laptop (that has since died) just fine. While overall not as good as my current computer, the big differences are that it had Vista (shudder) and an Nvidia graphics card. I also was using eSPXe 1.5.2 I think, but that version doesn't work on this computer either.
    With that in mind, I tried a variety of settings on my graphics card, but still the same issue. I tried compatibility mode for vista...nothing changed.
    The game versions I've tried are NTSC-U as an ISO file and E as a bin file. Both have the exact same issue. Oh and I tried a variety of Bios/s but the current one I'm using is scph7502.

If anyone has any idea how to solve this issue, I would very much appreciate it. I've been exasperated trying to figure it out.
    Hit config, video, configure (main plugin), click the "Copy settings to clipboard" button and paste on reply.

Also, it's pretty rare for ePSXe 1.7.0 and/or Vista and 7 to have the issue, but I've seen it a few times, so just to be safe you may want to try this: http://www.emuparadise.me/links-and-...id=253&catid=6

Before you do though, does it happen with every game or just FF VIII (if you haven't tried another, mind grabbing a small game and checking if you have none on hand)?

Thanks

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
    Author: Pete Bernert
    Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
    GFX card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Resolution/Color:
    - 1920x1080 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
    - Internal X resolution: 2
    - Internal Y resolution: 3
    - Keep psx aspect ratio: on
    - No render-to-texture: -F

- Filtering: 6
    - Hi-Res textures: 2
    - TexWin pixel shader: off
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: on
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 2
    - Framebuffer effects: 3
    - Framebuffer uploads: 2

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Mdec filter: on
    - Screen filtering: on
    - Shader effects: 0/1
    - Flicker-fix border size: 0
    - GF4/XP crash fix: off
    - Game fixes: on [00000002]

I haven't tried any other games with this emulator (only really cared about FFVIII). I'll try the link you gave and if it doesn't work, I'll try another game to see if it has the same issue.

Thanks

I did the fix suggested in the link and after wrestling with Windows 7 to let me copy the .exe to system32 (had to turn off teracopy), I changed the ePSXe to run on one core, but it did no good. The graphic issue still remains. I also downloaded Megaman X5 and it seems to run just fine (although it's more 2d than 3d). I went ahead and downloaded FFIX and got similar results. The graphics on moving characters are jumpy. Thanks for looking into this.
    Last edited by DCPower; 25th-March-2012 at 01:52.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Did you try with the configuration posted in my page and see if it works better for you http://psxdatacenter.emuparadise.me/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gladiator (psx datacenter) View Post
    Did you try with the configuration posted in my page and see if it works better for you http://psxdatacenter.emuparadise.me/
    Yes, I came across your configuration earlier and tried it before I posted here. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ok try with f7 and see if the same thing happen and fps 63

Thanks

I assume you mean Final Fantasy 7? Sure I'll give it a try. I'm starting to think it's an issue with DirectX 11, or something to do with the 3d rendering. This youtube clip shows kind of what I'm dealing with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su-5r5i8-l0 The way the shadows jump on the back of the ship is similar to how all the edges are shaking whenever a character moves in FFVIII.

Thanks

All right, I gave it a try on FFVII with the same results. Although the jumpiness is much less pronounced because the characters are blockier and don't have as many edges.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by DCPower View Post
    All right, I gave it a try on FFVII with the same results. Although the jumpiness is much less pronounced because the characters are blockier and don't have as many edges.
    No, DCPower, gladiator didn't mean FF7 but "F7", which is the f7-key on your keyboard Pressing the f7 button will enable the software mode, which means the graphics are rendered by the CPU, not by the graphic card. If something is glitchy with your GPU or the drivers(like buggy OpenGL drivers), this will solve the issue in most cases.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDIERSeeD View Post
    No, DCPower, gladiator didn't mean FF7 but "F7", which is the f7-key on your keyboard Pressing the f7 button will enable the software mode, which means the graphics are rendered by the CPU, not by the graphic card. If something is glitchy with your GPU or the drivers(like buggy OpenGL drivers), this will solve the issue in most cases.
    Oh, thanks for clarifying. But no, pressing F7 only made it pixilated and rendered terribly. And even through all the pixilation, the characters were STILL shaking when they walked lol.
    Last edited by DCPower; 25th-March-2012 at 20:28.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Out of curiosity, have you tried a different plugin, like Pete's D3D?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthias View Post
    Out of curiosity, have you tried a different plugin, like Pete's D3D?
    I've tried a myriad of plugins, all with the same issue. I went ahead and tried Pete's D3D at your suggestion, but still the same thing.

So I decided to go for the uncommon solution. I took my old laptop (the one where FFVIII and ePSXe were working fine) and took out the hard drive. I hooked it up to my main computer and made a complete clone of it onto another hard drive. I went ahead and booted up the cloned drive and vista started (shudder). I got ePSXe up and running...and still had the same issue! So if it wasn't the OS or those drivers, that leaves 3 things that are different: The graphics card (ATI from Nvidia), the Processor (an APU quad core from a CPU dual core), and the monitor. Oh, and I guess the motherboard is different too. My guess is that it's how the graphics card or the graphics card driver is interacting with the 3d modeling in the game. I mean I can run Skyrim or Bioshock2 on the highest settings, but it seems to be messing up with these old games. If anyone has any ideas on what I should tweak to get it to work right, I'm all ears!
    Last edited by Tanthias; 26th-March-2012 at 11:30.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Have you tried setting your VRAM size (in the plugin) manually? I did a bit more digging and it looks like it may be caused by a bug in the drivers, and doing so may fix the issue:

Just remember to manually set the VRAM size (an old bug in ATI's drivers), and set Render Mode to Use framebuffer object.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthias View Post
    Have you tried setting your VRAM size (in the plugin) manually? I did a bit more digging and it looks like it may be caused by a bug in the drivers, and doing so may fix the issue:
    I gave it a shot, but still the same issue. I previously had auto-detect since my graphics card has 1G of ram and he option only goes up to 512MB, I was ready t kick myself for not trying to change that setting earlier, but alas. I noticed in the other thread you mentioned "at interlancing change to blend tff or blend bff." However, I can't find this option anywhere.