Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Specs Question

Thanks

Default Specs Question

I was just curious about this, but here are my specs first.

I was setting everything up to play some Gamecube games on my computer and I started off with Animal Crossing. Simple game to get started with to test my performance and it's relatively laggy. Now I'm not especially computer smart. I can figure out how to get programs set up and all, but when it comes to stuff like what processors I need and what's the best and blah, blah, I don't know about all that. What I was wondering is what I need to get these games running at optimal efficiency. The game has a low framerate, the music and characters jump around and sorta skip every other second, typical lag. It's not HUGE lag, but it's enough to bug me. I don't want any lag. So what do I need to upgrade to run everything properly?
    On a side note, I don't know if different GC games perform differently. Twilight Princess is probably the largest file game I'll be getting. Just saying, in case that might mean something for all this.
    Thanks for any help in advance.

EDIT:: I just noticed, but the games run fine if I'm in windowed mode. It only starts acting up when I try to full screen it.
    Last edited by Atemisc; 19th-March-2012 at 22:58.

Thanks

Just from your edit and the picture, it looks like your graphics card isn't able to handle the emulator when the screen is stretched. I mean, it's not even in the picture for us to know what it is. If you can, try and identify what your graphics card is and post that. That will probably be the only thing you need to upgrade, followed by your power supply since those OEM (aka, Dell, Compaq, Acer) machines usually used the lowest PSU supply they need to turn the thing on.

Thanks

Well, my PC is an HP Pavillion. That's all I know on what kind of computer it is. Also, I'm not sure where to check on what my graphics card is, but I know I can play Fallout 3 full screen with little issues on high settings, though not on the best settings.

Thanks

http://download.cnet.com/GPU-Z/3000-...-10788513.html

GPU-Z is freeware and will tell you what your graphics card is. Also consider using CPU-Z if you want to learn more about your processor. Regardless, give GPU-Z a go if you want to know what your GPU. Depending on your OS, you can also check your display properties, then under settings, it should say what the graphics card is.

Thanks

Apparently my graphics card is as follows. It was put in by our computer guy when I asked him to upgrade my computer a year or two ago.

NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    Integrated RAMDAC
    2286 MB
    1280 x 960 (32 Bit) (60 Hz)

You might have just needed the name, but I went ahead and added all that just in case. Wasn't sure if the whole thing was important or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Atemisc View Post
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    Integrated RAMDAC
    2286 MB
    1280 x 960 (32 Bit) (60 Hz)

You might have just needed the name, but I went ahead and added all that just in case. Wasn't sure if the whole thing was important or not.
    The extra info was very important. By seeing the product name and the part where is listed 'Integrated RAMDAC', it suggests to me that drivers aren't properly installed or it's a special kind of 9400 GT since the RAMDAC for that card should be 400 Mhz. Maybe I'm missing something that is integral to that RAMDAC business, but make sure the Nvidia drivers are properly installed and consider reinstalling them. Your Windows Vista WEI should be listing the graphics card and because it isn't, it is leading me to believe it is bad drivers.

The graphics card itself should do the trick, but it is on the low end for recommended settings. Do you have the emulator at the recommended settings? Just making sure it isn't a case of putting the doodads on high when your graphics card couldn't handle it. So yeah, check the drivers to see if they are installed and check your emulator settings. They should be fine if you haven't touched them.

Thanks

Well, for the Dolphin GC/Wii emu, the graphics settings are as follows.

Backend: Direct3D9
    Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT
    Fullscreen Resolution: 640 x 480
    Aspect Ratio: Auto

As for all the check boxes, they've all been left unchecked. That's just under general, though. As for uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, I'm not positive I wanna' mess with it myself because every time I try to switch out drivers or take them out and put them back in, whatever, they seem to not want to work when I start everything back up. I've been told to put one hand on top of the computer while doing so, but that seems weird to me. I don't see how that could make a difference. But I'm not tech savvy anyways.

EDIT:: Decided to just go ahead and take a screen of the graphics card info, just in case it shows anything else that might be important.
    Last edited by Atemisc; 21st-March-2012 at 03:51.

Thanks

I'm not positive I wanna' mess with it myself because every time I try to switch out drivers or take them out and put them back in, whatever, they seem to not want to work when I start everything back up. I've been told to put one hand on top of the computer while doing so, but that seems weird to me. I don't see how that could make a difference. But I'm not tech savvy anyways.
    The hand trick has to do with removing the graphics card from the motherboard. It's to limit static discharge that can destroy electrical components like your graphics card. What I am suggesting is not the card itself, but the software used to recognize the card. Vista doesn't automatically recognize the full potential of the stuff you install and software is usually required for Vista to use it correctly.

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/42437 Here is the link to the Nvidia website and more importantly, the drivers for your card. Download them, open the file and proceed to install it like you would with other programs.

Thanks

Ah. That'll be a lot safer with me, then. lol
    Alright. So I'll try that and get back to you. I also edited the last post just as you posted, so you might want to check that out just in case there might be anything useful there, but it may not be anything of use now.

Thanks

Nope. Unfortunately, that did nothing. Everything's the exact same. 75% to 100% frame rate when in windowed and 50% and under when maximized.

Thanks
    EP Points

thats unusal because i have an ATI 4250 intergrated card and i can play sonic adventure 2 battle perfectly, granted i have a better processor but that wouldnt affect it majorly would it? i thought open GL was more graphics based? also have you tried using direct 3d 9? thats supposedly the fastest one to use
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks

Remember. I'm not tech savvy. I have no clue what Direct 3D 9 is. I'm just listing whatever appears on the screen.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've used an nVidia 9400 GT and I'm pretty sure it's not capable of D3D10 or 11. Best you can get with it is D3D9.0c IIRC. You can run your DXDiag.exe again and the first page should tell you what D3D version you are using.

Dolphin might work better if you set the Fullscreen resolution to the same as your desktop. Right-click on an empty spot on your desktop, on Vista you should look for Preferences(it should be the bottom of the list) on the menu, click that, go to the last tab of the window that pops up and see what the resolution is set to, then input that into your Graphics options of the Dolphin Emulator.

It looks like you are using a 32-bit Vista installation on a 64-bit processor. That isn't optimal, but since most emulators aren't set up to use a 64-bit OS, it can't be helped much.

Also, you can look on your sys tray (bottom right where clock and running programs are displayed) for the NVidia Control Panel. Right-clicking on that should list an option to update drivers, so you can skip looking for the NVidia site next time. If it isn't listed in systray, open the Start menu and look for Control Panel. You will be able to find NVidia Control Panel there, and then you can find Updates in the Help menu.

Keep in mind that when Windows updates, you should check for a new Graphics card update. I noticed recently that my games were choppy, and updating graphics drivers fixed it.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 22nd-March-2012 at 00:13.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Remember. I'm not tech savvy. I have no clue what Direct 3D 9 is. I'm just listing whatever appears on the screen.
    its a graphics option on dolphin if you go onto graphics options and click direct 3d9 you should find it will run better than it is currently but will probably not look as nice, but you can give it a shot, if needed i can take a screenshot when i get home
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks

Well, I'm actually looking to improve the graphics so I can play it full screen with no lag. Surely I can upgrade my PC so that can happen. That was the point of this thread.