Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did you become an adult?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default When did you become an adult?

Like it says, when did you realize you were an adult in your life?

I noticed the other day that I was acting like the old man I said I never would. Turning down parties and such because I had work, or planning a schedule.
    I even have a calendar.

Did any of you ever reach a point when you said "Woah, I'm acting like my dad." or something similar?

Obviously I wanted to make a more impressive post, but the words are escaping me right now.
    I'm in a hurry, but I wanted to ask before I forgot. :p

Thanks
    EP Points

read title and autothought you meant first time having sex.... adult? guess im not

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm not aging any time soon .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hard call. I think after highschool, when I stopped giving a fuck of trying to get everyone to like me and was just satisfied reading along and having polite conversation from time to time with interesting people.

Thanks
    EP Points

Whenever I feel like games is boring. And I started to feel so recently.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Muscab View Post
    Whenever I feel like games is boring. And I started to feel so recently.
    Haha yeah - my nephew who is 11 really shows me up these days on games. Reminds me of me when I was his age, dedicating time to overcoming difficult parts, practicing to take his mates on in competitions (albeit online these days), generally not being shit...me, I don't have the patience anymore. If I can't beat it 10 minutes or so I lose my rag and switch it off.
    Touch my twat.

Thanks

I stopped being at child at 8 years old.

I remember the night my parents were killed in front of me in an alleyway. We had just finished watching the Mark of Zorro at the Gotham Theatre and were walking home. Two shots fired from a mugger. I saw my mother's pearl necklace fall to pieces.

Twelve years since. And the ache is still fresh. Like a raw angry nerve. But this isn't about healing. I'm not looking for closure.

---

In all seriousness, it was the death of someone close to bring myself to what I am. About 10 years since
    Last edited by shin kai; 19th-March-2012 at 01:40.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by shin kai View Post
    I stopped being at child at 8 years old.

I remember the night my parents were killed in front of me in an alleyway. Two shots fired from a mugger. I saw my mother's pearl necklace fall to pieces.

Twelve years since. And the ache is still fresh. Like a raw angry nerve. But this isn't about healing. I'm not looking for closure.

---

In all seriousness, it was the death of someone close to bring myself to what I am. About 10 years since
    :O

Thanks
    EP Points

I grew up fast, being a pro musician (getting paid to play) since age 14. But I had to become a man in my own mind after my grandfather passed away last year at age 88. He was the man of the family, and with him gone, I just picked up where he left off. I seemed to be the only one who didn't let grief consume me, so I became the "rock" of my family. I hope I have done as he would, and I hope he'd be proud of me.

--

@shin kai - I know you don't want condolences or anything, but I really am sorry you had to see something so horrible. That mugger will have to answer for his deeds someday. If not in this life, in his next.

I don't understand why you aren't looking for closure... Would you rather not heal, and carry the hurt around for the rest of your life? Or is it a badge you wear, like the US Army "purple heart"? Perhaps it's just a reason you can give others for the person you've become. Any way you slice it, that grief is cheating you of your happiness. Remember your parents, but remember them well. Holding on to grief is no way to remember loved ones, trust me.

I wish you the best, and I hope that someday you will find peace of mind.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I DON'T HAVE A DAD YOU ASS HOW DARE YOU EVEN BRING THAT UP RARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

cough, cough

Anyway, when my grandmother died when I was about 16. She was basically my mother at that point, and for years after the fact I blamed myself for not checking on her that night. After that all the fun and games of being a carefree little punk ended; it all just didn't matter anymore. I suppose I could then say that I became middle aged the day it became clear that I was the one to take care of my grandfather, whose health has gone down hill over the years.

So tired... so, so tired...

Thanks

Muscab, Rockstar1983 and anyone else, I appreciate the sympathy but I got to clarify something first. Only the last line "In all seriousness" happened to me. The top part was excerpts from various Batman comics. I was hoping the alley way and mugger were hints but I guess that didn't go as planned. I should've added after seeing the Mark of Zorro in theatres in Gotham or something.

To be more specific and back to myself, cancer early in my life was a strong influence in my maturing. You start to see things in a different light and I have come to the idea that when that happens, you start becoming an adult. Another idea I've heard from one person is when a child does not think anymore about receiving gifts (in a philosophical sense, not actually gifts you get for holidays or anything) and is more concerned about giving. However, I'm do not agree 100% with that idea.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I think back to when I was a small boy and realize that I was much more rational, emotionally stable, and thoughtful than anybody in my family. Mom was horrible, ruled by her addictions. Uncles were a stoner and a drunk who cut a guys throat with a bottle at a party. Although these people are much older than me, had jobs, were "responsible" I had always been more adult than they were. Even having children hasn't had much of an impact on my inner self. The way I see it, you're either adult from your earliest memories or you will probably never become one. This is supported by a lot of the people I know who have reached the age of Majority, but are still immature and playful in idiotic, potentially injurious ways. Think about any bullies you knew, who liked to get in fights at school. They're probably the only people you know who still get in fist-fights.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 19th-March-2012 at 01:52.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Some people never grow up, they prefer to be a kid their whole life. I would like to think that I'm a different person than I was fifteen years ago. I grew up when my grandmother died in 1998, she was my second mom and always was there for me. When she passed it was like my safety net was gone and I had to grow up and take care of myself. My mom is alive, but what I had with my grandmother was gone. I main thing I miss is her laugh, and her reassuring nature. I think that's when I became an adult.

Thanks
    EP Points

like many others here death brought about my growing up here is a little back-story and unlike above this is 100% real and don't worry I take no offense at the batman comic references.

My stepdad and mom were drug dealers and as the story goes I was well on my way to being successful in the family business myself but one day after spending the evening with my step brother and his wife we went to my parents to try to get a joint the porch light was on and nobody came to the door(which was unusual) we thought maybe they got raided by the police since the cars were still there,after confirming they were not at the police station,we thought since they both partied pretty hard and were heavy sleepers anyway maybe they were still asleep.
    We went to the back door which had a window to see if we could see if they were there(my stepdad slept in a recliner due to breathing problems.) but the back door was standing open and every thing in the house including his recliner was turned over and tossed around that's when we found out our parents had been murdered to beat it all the first thing the police did after they got there was to cuff me and my step brother and put us in separate cars apparently if you discover a murder scene you are the primary suspect we were questioned for about three hours then they let us go telling us they already had the one who done it to top it all off it was a friend of theirs who they trusted and they were murdered over Oxycontins.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Muscab, Rockstar1983 and anyone else, I appreciate the sympathy but I got to clarify something first. Only the last line "In all seriousness" happened to me. The top part was excerpts from various Batman comics. I was hoping the alley way and mugger were hints but I guess that didn't go as planned. I should've added after seeing the Mark of Zorro in theatres in Gotham or something.
    Wow. Guess I missed that one. I might have gotten it, but I read more Marvel than DC.

You had me going for awhile, tho. Well played.

To be more specific and back to myself, cancer early in my life was a strong influence in my maturing. You start to see things in a different light and I have come to the idea that when that happens, you start becoming an adult. Another idea I've heard from one person is when a child does not think anymore about receiving gifts (in a philosophical sense, not actually gifts you get for holidays or anything) and is more concerned about giving. However, I'm do not agree 100% with that idea.
    Cancer sucks, for real. Got my grandmother back in '95, and several aunts, uncles, cousins and friends since. I'll agree with your point that dealing with death and loss put life in a different light, and almost force you to "grow up". Your point about "receiving gifts" resonates with me, because I had always learned from my grandfather (recieving gifts of knowledge). With him gone, I'm usually the one giving the advice (mostly his) to others now. This might explain why I feel more like an adult. Or, at least, I've assumed the role. Still, there's a part of me that will never truly "grow up".
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.