Thread: MULTITAP to play PSX games on PS2 SLIM ???

Thanks
    EP Points

Red face MULTITAP to play PSX games on PS2 SLIM ???

Someone know some multitap for playing PSX games on a PS2 SLIM ?

i have a PS2 multitap but don't work with psx games,

i read the original PSX multitap SCPH-1070 is only compatible with 3000 & 5000 PS2 (FAT versions)

Some 3rd party multitap 100% compatible with PS2 Slim <=> PSXgames ?

maybe on eBay?

Thanks
    EP Points

Mine is called "Hais Multi Branchement" and it works with my slim ps2.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

i put on google and the only result brought me to this post ...

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Can't do it at this very moment but I will try my official one after I move house

I have a PS2 slim and an Official PSX multi-tap, hopefully I still have a working original of Blaze & Blade, the only 4 player game I think I have on original

To be honest though the multi-tap doesn't work with PS2 games and it is very simple there are no chips involved or anything so don't see why it wouldn't work for PSX games on a PS2slim model (PS2 multitap is different though)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-March-2012 at 10:26.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    To be honest though the multi-tap doesn't work with PS2 games and it is very simple there are no chips involved or anything so don't see why it wouldn't work for PSX games on a PS2slim model (PS2 multitap is different though)
    There's a physical limit afaik. In PS1 the memory card slot was farther away from controller slot than in slim PS2s. Mine doesn't support memory cards, so it fits there. There are also some third party multitaps which have removable memory card socket, so they would work as well.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The PS1 memcard slot is not used for the official PSX multi-tap it's only the PS2 Multi-tap's that do, though the PSX multi-tap does have memcard slots on the multi-tap itself, but they use the pad ports to access memcard's that are pluged into the multi-tap and is only connected to the playstation via the Pad port (nothing is pluged into the memcard port, infact the design prevents you doing that, unless that lip also prevents use on the PS2 slims)

P.S. if the limit is just due to the lip you can just about buy any 3rd party PSX multi-tap or just cut the lip off with a hack saw just make sure it's viced well so you don't take you hand with it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSX Multi-tap.jpg 
Views:	9740 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	30150

The above design will be the cause though, if I remember on the PS2 slim the memcard ports are a lil forward of the pad ports giving a lil lip, so just file or hacksaw the lip off of the multi-tap's pad port male end

The slight lip was and is only there to prevent a memcard going directly into the port above the slot the multi-tap is plugged into, there is no other point to it so it is safe to get rid of it

EDIT:- just hacksawed mine (the extra lip thats on the pad port male end) I also needed to cut off the plastic after hacksawing it as it didn't hacksaw perfectly away, it was still there by a slin bit of plastic that was just bending over when I tried do that completly by hacksaw, then I just filed it, so it should fit into the PS2 slim's pad port without that slight lip on the multi-tap & slim model PS2 get in each other's way (not that I have my PS2 slim out, it is currently packed away for my move but the multi-tap I just spotted in my bed room)

EDIT:- I will post a pic if I can get the capture software working....

Name:	snapshot_[2012.03.10_22.17.31].jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	30155

Name:	snapshot_[2012.03.10_22.18.10].jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	30156

This is my Playstation multi-tap that I quickly altered with a hacksaw, knife & file

Took about 2 mins to do

If you look at the image I posted before these 2 you will notice a slight lip that was used to prevent access to the PSX memcard slot

Now I can use that PSX multitap with a PS2 slim console for PSX games
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-March-2012 at 22:24.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

@Zorlon: Oh my god, I did say "afaik". I wasn't really sure so I hope you haven't damaged your multitap for no good reason.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No damage done it's just a simple plastic mold that had no real use except to stop you using the memcard port above the pad port the multitap is plugged into

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]