Thread: My games on PCSX2 are slow and laggy

Thanks

Default My games on PCSX2 are slow and laggy

I'm using windows 7 here are the details:
    Name:  screenshot.png
Views: 623
Size:  26.2 KB

My Pcsx2 is version 0.9.8 (probably outdated now, I havent used it in ages)

The games aren't that bad, they're playable. But when I played Modern Warfare 3 on my laptop when it came out it ran perfectly smooth. It made me wonder why a new game runs so perfectly on my laptop but PS2 games are slow and laggy. Are there ways to decrease the graphics settings on the emulator so that the games are easier for my computer to process?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by alucardx View Post
    I'm using windows 7 here are the details:
    Name:  screenshot.png
Views: 623
Size:  26.2 KB

My Pcsx2 is version 0.9.8 (probably outdated now, I havent used it in ages)

The games aren't that bad, they're playable. But when I played Modern Warfare 3 on my laptop when it came out it ran perfectly smooth. It made me wonder why a new game runs so perfectly on my laptop but PS2 games are slow and laggy. Are there ways to decrease the graphics settings on the emulator so that the games are easier for my computer to process?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulator

Long story short, the code for the games can't run natively on a PC CPU, it needs to be interpreted to run and that causes a performance hit.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Nope, your only option is to either max out the Speedhacks, set GSdx to Native and use D3D 10/11, or download the latest SVN, enable MTVU hacks, and hope there will be some changes.

Also, emulation and playing PC games on your computer are two different things.

Thanks
    EP Points

Don't blame your computer, blame the emulator. The emulator is not as perfect as what you thought.
    Depend on what games that you want to play on your PCSX2, you probably have to configure each games to play them with a decent speed.
    You can download the latest PCSX2 SVN version (which is always updated) or use speedhacks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by meganova View Post
    Nope, your only option is to either max out the Speedhacks, set GSdx to Native and use D3D 10/11, or download the latest SVN, enable MTVU hacks, and hope there will be some changes.

Also, emulation and playing PC games on your computer are two different things.
    They removed the MTVU hack from the newer revisions. The hack usually caused slowdowns instead of speedups.

Looks like it's available in the newest revision, still causes slowdowns for me though.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 4th-March-2012 at 15:23.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    They removed the MTVU hack from the newer revisions. The hack usually caused slowdowns instead of speedups.
    Hm?

The hack is still there though, as of r5109.
    Didn't notice if it was removed before, since there isn't any logs about it.

Yes, that will happen frequently, especially on dual core cpu, and when you're running any GS limited games.
    To make things worse, freeze/hang may also occur during gameplay as well.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've got a quad core .

http://www.emucr.com/2012/02/pcsx2-svn-r5103.html
    "r5103
    Removed the mVU block hack. This hack didn't help speed a lot (generally only about 2% if at all) but it caused slow downs and bugs in some games.
    People enabled it for a performance boost and often got the reverse, so now it's gone."

Thanks
    EP Points

By the way, that's mVU Block hack, not a MTVU hack.

Well, I'm unsure about Quad core , since I only have Triple core(though it can be unlocked), and rarely use that hack, due to frequent freeze/hang when playing certain games.
    but it seems most people(even the coder himself) reported that hack(MTVU) seems to run fine on their Quad Core.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

By the way, that's mVU Block hack, not a MTVU hack.

Well, I'm unsure about Quad core , since I only have Triple core(though it can be unlocked), and rarely use that hack, due to frequent freeze/hang when playing certain games.
    but it seems most people(even the coder himself) reported that hack(MTVU) seems to run fine on their Quad Core.
    One letter off, it tricked me .

The only games that I've gotten speedups on are the games that were already running full speed most of the time. On stuff like ZoE and Xenosaga 2, it drops speed by 5+ FPS.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 4th-March-2012 at 19:00.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    One letter off, it tricked me .

The only games that I've gotten speedups on are the games that were already running full speed most of the time. On stuff like and Xenosaga 2, it drops speed by 5+ FPS.
    Both games are GS limited, where it normally runs fine at most area, but then will get sudden slowdown on certain scene/area.
    When that happen, disable the hack and just use the usual Speedhacks setup. GPU is also the cause though, since these kind of games are heavily influenced by it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Both games are GS limited, where it normally runs fine at most area, but then will get sudden slowdown on certain scene/area.
    When that happen, disable the hack and just use the usual Speedhacks setup. GPU is also the cause though, since these kind of games are heavily influenced by it.
    I've got a 6850, and I bumped up the clock speed a bit .