Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which one you prefer? Owning games physically or digitally?

Thanks
    EP Points

Physical copies. No question.

Thanks

I would go with the physical copy of the game. It's just more assuring to have the actual game in your possession instead of being locked out from a server even though you have paid for it ("licensing", crashes, etc.).
    Last edited by Tacoguy123; 1st-March-2012 at 23:05.

Thanks
    EP Points

I very much prefer physical copies of my games. Nothing beats having that physical feel in your hands, as well as all the nice artwork that accompanies the Disc and case or cartridge and box. Of course emulation is great as it will preserve these games for many years to come. I don't really like digital distribution like steam or the other ones, its a digital copy of the game, if their servers crash or they take the game off their serves, then you no longer have it. If you have a physical copy, then you pretty much have it for life.

Thanks

I prefer digital copies to physically as it do not waste any space in my room (as I terrible for keeping things) but if I really loved the game, I will definitely buy the physical copies. But it doesn't stop me to get the digital copies.
    ^o^ [ E t E r N a L ] ^o^

^o^ [ E t E r N a L ] ^o^

Thanks

digitally by far.
    because you can never lose them, and you can always have access to them.

Thanks
    EP Points

For the most part physically is my preference i like it actually being there so i don't have to keep going to my computer to play my games in my uncomfortable chair alone!

There are times digital wins when speedups and other things come into play but physically i would rather have even if i have to spend some dough or time burning the games xd
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

As a PC gamer, I can tell you that Digital is the only way to go. Services like Steam, OnLive, Direct2Drive, are absolutely essential to any gamer with young kids. I can't tell you how many discs they have lost/destroyed. And now if I need to redownload, any game that I own on these services can be had any time. I suppose if you have a console, you might feel that Physical is better, since you're completely gimped that way unless you mod your console. But once you have children you will probably start to see things my way and love the Digital, indestructible copy of your games.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Or I could just lock my discs away, and beat my children if they destroy my precious games.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aeolus Aeneas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    Or I could just lock my discs away, and beat my children if they destroy my precious games.
    That is not a good parent.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    They forfeit any Christmas gifts in order to replace your games .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I'm not really against digital distribution. But I don't like it at all. And I feel the need to point out that you don't "own" your purchases. With the download licensing agreements they're basically just unlimited rentals. Totally fine if you just wanna play it once and move on, they're usually pretty cheap. But don't think that you actually have any ownership.
    These are my thoughts exactly. I have a big problem paying for something I can't physically touch. Like paying for the right to use/have something, that may be revoked at any time by the grantor of the license. Same reason I don't use iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    As a PC gamer, I can tell you that Digital is the only way to go. Services like Steam, OnLive, Direct2Drive, are absolutely essential to any gamer with young kids. I can't tell you how many discs they have lost/destroyed. And now if I need to redownload, any game that I own on these services can be had any time. I suppose if you have a console, you might feel that Physical is better, since you're completely gimped that way unless you mod your console. But once you have children you will probably start to see things my way and love the Digital, indestructible copy of your games.
    This is a valid point for the digital option. Kids are rough on games... I guess they don't understand, like I did as a kid, that if something broke, it was broke and that's it... a replacement will not be easy to get.

Way back, in the days of cartridges, games could take a bit of a beating and be OK. I've cleaned up some heinously filthy second-hand NES, SNES, and N64 carts. However, they still played after cleaning... Discs, not so much. I've had copies of PS2 games, that I bought new-in-the-box, start skipping with no visible scratches or fingerprints on the play surface. Frustrating!
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

Thanks

Definitely physical copies because with digital distribution I lose almost all rights to resell the game or have a friend borrow it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I'm not really against digital distribution. But I don't like it at all. And I feel the need to point out that you don't "own" your purchases. With the download licensing agreements they're basically just unlimited rentals. Totally fine if you just wanna play it once and move on, they're usually pretty cheap. But don't think that you actually have any ownership.
    You don't have any ownership with physical copies either, so that point is rather moot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mario View Post
    You don't have any ownership with physical copies either, so that point is rather moot.
    Hardly. It's unlikely that someone will kick your door in and take all your games, or serve you with a court order to destroy or send in your games. On the other hand, online stores can change their policy and lock you out in five seconds.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Even if you have a physical copy, if it has DRM, you still own nothing.