Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any difference between HD Collections/versions compared to PS2/Xbox/Wii via Component

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Any difference between HD Collections/versions compared to PS2/Xbox/Wii via Component

What I'm wanting to know is...

The HD Collections... Are they any higher res than the original games of the same name ran via component HD

Basicly I want to know is... Are the visuals actually any beter than they are to start with when displayed the best possible way on the older systems

The Xbox can be connected via Component cable giving you HD displays of 720 X 480 for games though the Xbox can display much higher (Tested Silent Hill 2 and 4 (Both NTSC versions))

The PS2 can also be connected via Component cable giving you HD displays of 720 x 576i for games (Tested Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsitence PAL)

I also noticed games like Resident Evil 4 have had yet another release and I have that game for my Wii and guess what... yeah I have component cables for the Wii also, works nice with the Resident Evil 1/0 game for the Cube and Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes aswell, both looking very nice

I may still grab the Metal Gear Collection, just because it includes a PSP only game

I will admit though that my 360 is hooked up via VGA giving the best possible display for it but the difference between VGA and HDMI/Component is minor

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I've played the MGS HD Collection on 360 (Only MGS3) and the graphics are way way way prettier than anything my PS2 outputs through RGB/Component.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

RGB Scart is poor compared to YPbPr Component

YPbPr Component to HDMI looks no different to me on my 360

HDMI to VGA has a lil improvement to it but not that vast, I can't see it being noticable on a small screen

What res does it output for those games, i.e. have they atleast changed the res on those games enough to be able to actually call them HD versions or are they just the same res

Though on my PS2 it is very much High Def/HD it is pixcelated a lil because it is HD but not that much of high res of just 720 x 576i PAL / 720x480 NTSC
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2012 at 07:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I think the ZoE HD Collection is getting a make over; I know that ZoE2 is going to have extra content at the very least.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    I think the ZoE HD Collection is getting a make over; I know that ZoE2 is going to have extra content at the very least.
    I need this.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    I need this.
    I know it's going to be on the Vita, not sure if there will be a PSN release.

Thanks
    EP Points

the Sly collection looks way better, its glitchy till you update though

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't think I have played an HD collection game on my xbox 360 but to help with your theory the hdmi and YPbPr are pretty much seemless in comparison but as of right now I am playing my xbox 360 on my monitor so I have hdmi to dvi so I can't say what the difference is, the monitor displays quite well only to be off when some very particular things on the color display are changed slightly.

To make sense of my statement I think the components are the same in display so even though I am using hdmi to dvi for my visual I think it would be the same if I had a more up to date monitor. I hope that helps and I would personally like to know if anyone else can confirm my opinion if they have a similar set-up in playing an HD collection because I can't afford it right now. Thank you.

TLDR I found this thread informative and I have my own comparison to share.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

As expected no one was able to give me a good answer so I will do this myself

Xbox, PS2 and I think Wii games use either 480p or 480i this is the lower part (hight) of the res of ??? x 480, pal software does use a few extra lines because we are special (some of the consoles can display higher but the retail games never took advantage of that as far as I know)

Xbox 360 and PS3 HD Collections use 720p this is the lower part (hight) of the res of ??? x 720, again pal softyware may use extra lines but will look much the same

The above is with all consoles dispayed via HD cables/TV set

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

The main reason to get the HD remakes is for the achievements/trophies.

Do you want to get that 2000 gamerscore from the MGS Collection? Sure you do!

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the games ARE a higher res then the originals. The display you'll get on the HD versions is better then anything you can achieve with the original consoles. That and the games have features like trophies and the like.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    The main reason to get the HD remakes is for the achievements/trophies.

Do you want to get that 2000 gamerscore from the MGS Collection? Sure you do!
    Because otherwise your life is incomplete!

That being said, MGS collection looks sexy.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by AuronAXE View Post
    I'm pretty sure the games ARE a higher res then the originals. The display you'll get on the HD versions is better then anything you can achieve with the original consoles. That and the games have features like trophies and the like.
    That was the reason I made the thread to verify this and it is true you can play the originals on xbox and PS2 in HD anyway but only up to x480 but the newer HD collections are x720 but that is all that is different, infact there are missing features from the Metal Gear Collection such as the online features and mini games...

as it happens the xbox atleast can produce much higher HD than the HD collection of x1080 but the retail games never took advantage of this and only used x480 (The PS2 probobly could aswell but yet to see any evidence of this personly (PS2 games also used x480))

Achievments are fine and all but I tend not to play a game exclusivly for that, the only reason I have any sort of achievs is more to do with me wanting to play those games I like a explore there hidden extra's and so on so yeah I have a couple of 100%ers but other games I havn't realy liked so only done the one play through, this goes for games on all systems though for me, if I ike a game I like to unlock everything and visit all the secrets and do everything the best I can
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-March-2012 at 20:34.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    That was the reason I made the thread to verify this and it is true you can play the originals on xbox and PS2 in HD anyway but only up to x480 but the newer HD collections are x720 but that is all that is different, infact there are missing features from the Metal Gear Collection such as the online features and mini games...

as it happens the xbox atleast can produce much higher HD than the HD collection of x1080 but the retail games never took advantage of this and only used x480 (The PS2 probobly could aswell but yet to see any evidence of this personly (PS2 games also used x480))

Achievments are fine and all but I tend not to play a game exclusivly for that, the only reason I have any sort of achievs is more to do with me wanting to play those games I like a explore there hidden extra's and so on so yeah I have a couple of 100%ers but other games I havn't realy liked so only done the one play through, this goes for games on all systems though for me, if I ike a game I like to unlock everything and visit all the secrets and do everything the best I can
    Even if the console can handle outputting to higher resolutions, that doesn't mean it can handle running games at those resolutions.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,308 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Basicly I want to know is... Are the visuals actually any beter than they are to start with when displayed the best possible way on the older systems
    Kinda depends on the system/game/port. Most should be better, but I don't think they all are... Take the Prince of Persia collection for instance. To make it widescreen they zoomed and cropped it, then added some cheap up-res filters. And apparently they botched the audio somehow. So it looks and sounds worse than the originals...
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here