Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What do you think about random encounter?

Thanks
    EP Points

Random encounters don't seem to bother me as much when they're out in the open (say on a world map). It's when I'm in the middle of some huge convoluted maze-like dungeon that it bugs me; I end up spending way more time fighting enemies than actually making any progress in the dungeon.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

As others have said, I also agree that FFXIII-2 is a good example of a game with random encounters. Players are given the choice to fight or not, and the monster types are random for a specific area. It also had those "fragment skills" that change the encounter rate.
    How's it feel being beaten?

Thanks

There actually IS a Tales fighting game called 'Tales of VS (or Versus, don't remember if it's spelled out or not) For the PSP, but it was only released in Japan. It's a cross over game, very similar to Dissidia Final Fantasy. ((oh, sorry, someone beat me to this about two pages ago xP))

Anyway, random encounters don't bother me at all, really they just come with the territory when it comes to rpgs (especially old school rpgs) There are moments where they get VERY annoying, but usually that's when something in the game is already frustrating me like a puzzle or a maze. I do have to agree that the Tales series has done a good job of both random and non random encounters, but either way, I think it really just comes down to if the game was well designed around whatever form of 'encounters' they decide to have.

Quote Originally Posted by tusar View Post
    i see...you are a crazy tales fan like me.i love Tales series & i like it more than any other series.the battle system is too freaking awesome so random encounter is ok for me only in the Tales series.but i actually hate random encounter in any other games.i prefer too see the monster if i want to battle with them. & about your idea on Tales of fighting games is a great idea.if i could contact namco anyway i would have told them your idea right away.the Tales characters' mystic artes are the deadliest,most brutal & have coolest animation. i love love love Tales series
    Last edited by ShadowsofCreation; 2nd-April-2012 at 23:11.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

They annoys

Thanks

I probably prefer seeing the enemies and having the choice to fight or run as I usually find myself actually wanting to fight more with that. With random Its usually not to bad but there are those times u just want to get to a spot to save or travel thru some low level area and ur forced to get in fights every couple steps and it can be annoying.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wickedcold1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah you have a point but to me it's still only annoying when it's over done, but your post reminded me of Lunar The Silver star where in the first dungeon it's beneficial to not kill every enemy you see cause you need to get the ape creatures to chase you so they can break the ice blocking the path, I thought that was an interesting feature.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Knightshade For This Useful Post:

Thanks

a game that made good use of encounters was Lufia 2. there were random encounters on the world map, but they weren't too bad. in the dungeons, you could see the enemies, but you had tools you could use to stun and avoid them. there were also puzzles where you had to use the enemies, such as having them step on a switch and then stunning them to go through a door.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
    yeah you have a point but to me it's still only annoying when it's over done, but your post reminded me of Lunar The Silver star where in the first dungeon it's beneficial to not kill every enemy you see cause you need to get the ape creatures to chase you so they can break the ice blocking the path, I thought that was an interesting feature.
    haha thanks for the reminder of Lunar, I also thought that was pretty interesting.

Thanks

I've found random encounter totally necessary for good RPGS. Anytime ive played an rpg without it (ie chrono cross) theres always been a way to purposely avoid battle.

Thanks
    EP Points

It largely depends on the game and how effectively it's implemented I suppose.

The most recent said title I played was Parasite Eve. The random encounters never really bothered me as such. It was certainly a product of its time. It has also aged beautifully.

Oh, and...

...DAMN that Chrysler building!
    Last edited by camb702; 15th-April-2012 at 10:56.

Thanks

You could see enemies on the map in grandia which I liked so you had to the choice to avoid them but they still put in hidden enemies to jump out at random so it was a pretty good mix. Pokemon black took random encounters to a new level for me, there's some cave where you fight N at the end and at least every 3 steps had a random encounter, thank god for repels though it's not too bad when you're looking for a certain pokemon, I just kill everything that pops up until I find it