Thread: Wild Guns on PCSX menu problems

Thanks

Question Wild Arms on PCSX menu problems

Hello, long time visitor, finally decided to register on the forums

As it usually goes, my first post is pleading for help. I downloaded Wild Arms ISO from emuparadise and I'm trying to run it in PCSX (PCSX-Reloaded 1.9.92 running on Ubuntu 12.04 [I know, it's still in alpha, don't judge me ]).

The game loads and plays fine except for a weird bug in the menus. Every time I get asked a question (in-game dialog) the game interprets my answer as "No". Also, in combat any "fight" command gets ignored, defend works fine though.

I googled and searched the forums but I saw no reference to this problem. No idea if it's some kind of copy protection problem or a bug in PCSX. Anyone had something like that happen? From posts I read it seems most people here use ePSXe but I wanted to know if anyone else tried it in PCSX since I never had it do something like this and I really don't feel like installing a bunch of libs to compile ePSXe from source if there's a workaround. PCSX is in Ubuntu repos and works really nicely for anything else I tried so...

P.S. - it does seem there are some graphic glitches in combat as well on the character model but I didn't look into that atm, and tbh it's not a big deal even if I don't solve it.

EDIT: Whoops, mixed up my PSX and SNES
    Last edited by Onyx47; 20th-February-2012 at 20:52.

Thanks
    EP Points

Most of the people here don't use any Linux distro on a regular basis, and mostly just play with it for shiggles (me included).

So the only thing I can recommend is that you use one of the other forked projects, PCSX-df being the only one I know of.

Sorry about my ignorance, but I hope that helps.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks

Thanks for the answer Alakazander. Unfortunately, PCSX-df is uninstallable on Ubuntu 12.04. It's asking for a library that, it seems, is not part of the distro since 11.04. From what I saw (AFTER installing a bunch of dependencies and trying to compile it in vain of course -.-) PCSX-Reloaded is based on PCSX-df and is actually more up-to-date anyway.

I bit the bullet and tried ePSXe (which comes as a binary and not a source tarball, weird). It complains about a different library altogether, although wine does the same, might be the alpha state of Ubuntu 12.04 at this time. I'll try on my other computer running 11.10 tomorrow.

While on the roll I tried pSX which outright refuses to start on a 64bit system (which I forgot to mention but damnit, it's 2012!).

Unless this is a PCSX bug that gets fixed it seems that emulating Wild Arms on a newer Linux distro is a no-go (might work on something older/32bit if you get another emulator running), unless all you want to do is run around starting area that is.

I'm pretty much leaving this rant here in case anyone else runs into this problem. Will post the solution if I manage to fix it.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What lib's are missing/complained about?

The last ePSXe needs zlib1.dll that is not included with the distribution pack

You can use an older version of ePSXe though 1.5.2 or 1.6.0 neither require the above zlib1.dll, though I don't know if your OS will be able to run it or not
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-February-2012 at 23:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR