Thread: Fatal Frame for Pcsx2

Thanks

Default Fatal Frame for Pcsx2

Hey guys, I'm here in my last ditch effort to salvage a decent experience out of the Fatal Frame game for Playstation 2 on my Pcsx2. I got my hands on the game to have a good run through with my girlfriend, and it has been a constant struggle trying to get a decent playable experience out of it.

Let me start with my specs -

Processor - AMD Phenom II that if I recall correctly is at about 3.7 Ghz unclocked
    Ram - 4 Gb
    Graphics card - NVidia GTX 460 ~2 gigs of ram

Any other information required, I would be happy to give upon request.

So anyways, when I downloaded the game, I was already on a kind of outdated SVN of the Pcsx2 (4600 I believe). I had the problem where when I would pull out my camera it wouldn't lock on to ghosts reliably. This became a huge problem when I got to the first aggressive ghost, and the only way I was able to beat it was by spamming my shutter when I got lucky enough for the focus to light up.

This obviously made the game unplayable. I messed around and saw that if you used software mode, it was supposed to fix the problem, which I believe it did, but it made the game so slow that it was unbearable. I can handle moments here and there, but literally, it was similar to play in constant slow motion.

After I looked around and referenced the pcsx2 wiki and saw the video posted for it, I saw that someone said the new SVN fixed the problem completely. I downloaded it, got it installed, everything went perfectly, and when I got to that aggressive ghost, it locked on perfectly, but low and behold a new problem arose. The ghost would be almost completely invisible in Camera mode. I would be able to lock onto it with NO problem, but I couldn't see the ghost. Obviously this will cause problems later in the game, so I turned back to trying to find new solutions. I tried downloading an older SVN which basically did no good, it was the same problem where either in software mode it the quality was terrible, or in hardware mode I couldn't see the ghost.

So here I am, throwing my self at the mercy of those far more experienced in emulation than my self. If you guys can give me any insight I would appreciate it so much. I look forward to hopefully getting some great answers from you guys. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ive never been able to get Fatal Frame to work well on PCSX2

You could try the PAL version of the game "Project Zero" instead which is playable according to there website.

But really you may be better off softmodding your ps2 and burning it to a dvd

Thanks
    EP Points

@Gonzoyola,
    - copy/paste all info from the PCSX2's Console Log window,
    - and plugins/emulation settings, in screenshots.

The only known way to fix the problem is by switching to Software mode, which in result will cause major slowdown on gameplay(well, nothing you can do about that).
    Plus, the game has high chances of freeze/crash that randomly happen as you progress through the game, but it still considered as 'playable'.