Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Snes-O-Rama is Down!

Thanks
    EP Points

Arrow Snes-O-Rama is Down!

The survival of EP just became that much more important. R.I.P, SOR.

Source 1: dreamcast-talk.com

Source 2: Websitedown.info

EDIT: I just noticed now, but it seems others already have. But, to be fair, I wasn't a member there, and only went there when there was something I couldn't find here.
    Last edited by Rockstar1983; 18th-February-2012 at 05:36.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have seen Snes-O-Rama before, they are a pretty good site.
    EP probably the only survival right now. Not sure though. But EP always the best of the best.
    They have been survive for 8-10 years, if I'm not mistaken.
    Please EP, please don't ever close this forum and the ep main site itself.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah, it was down a little while ago........then I think it was up again with new rules about the old trading post.
    Like you could get banned for posting

But I did notice that it seemed dead again the last few times I checked recently.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The last thing that happened there was matrlx making a thread saying he fixed the server's CPU overload problem. So, it might be that the server was physically damaged and everything needs to be migrated to another server from a backup or it might be DDoS. I was suspecting DDoS because of how busy the server had been after it came back online. It was down for four days, maybe somebody that wanted it not to come back sent a botnet to the SOR server. That would explain why the server was so busy after it came back online.

edit

After what happened to Megaupload and the resulting domino effect it had on other file hosting services, SOR's trade post was effectively killed. It then became a financial liability to pay for a server that was going to be used by the SOR regulars only after everyone noticed the apocalypse. There are less expensive ways to chat with people if you're the one paying the bills. For whatever reason SOR is down I think it's likely because under the circumstances it was going to die anyway.
    Last edited by Yip Yip; 18th-February-2012 at 06:30.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Yip Yip View Post
    After what happened to Megaupload and the resulting domino effect it had on other file hosting services, SOR's trade post was effectively killed. It then became a financial liability to pay for a server that was going to be used by the SOR regulars only after everyone noticed the apocalypse. There are less expensive ways to chat with people if you're the one paying the bills. For whatever reason SOR is down I think it's likely because under the circumstances it was going to die anyway.
    Wasn't there a heap of file hosts you couldn't post links for there? Did that change at some stage, or am I completely incorrect?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Wasn't there a heap of file hosts you couldn't post links for there? Did that change at some stage, or am I completely incorrect?
    That was one of the reasons, all that was left was unreliable file hosts. You can't have a trade post with working links for games from every emulated console using those hosts. Moderating posts about dead links was already a pain in the arse with reliable hosts.

edit

I'd hate to have to mod that mess. As in maybe an elephant stomping my testicles every day would be more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Yip Yip; 18th-February-2012 at 06:50.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yip Yip View Post
    The last thing that happened there was matrlx making a thread saying he fixed the server's CPU overload problem
    Yeah. I had replied to that thread along the lines of, "Thanks matrix for the update as I've not been able to get on (SoR) for a while now". Moments after submitting my post, SoR went offline again. Convinced I jinxed it! One domainlookup site listed SoR as "inactive".

I honestly hope that EP continues to go from strength to strength. Sites like this one are thin on the ground.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by muppetboy View Post
    Yeah. I had replied to that thread along the lines of, "Thanks matrix for the update as I've not been able to get on (SoR) for a while now". Moments after submitting my post, SoR went offline again. Convinced I jinxed it! One domainlookup site listed SoR as "inactive".

I honestly hope that EP continues to go from strength to strength. Sites like this one are thin on the ground.
    Attachment to material things is a headlong path toward suffering. Nothing lasts forever, time turns mountains to dust.

http://www.mysticalartsoftibet.org/Mandala.htm

Thanks
    EP Points

i say good ridance, EP is WAY better anyway

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    i say good ridance, EP is WAY better anyway
    There has been a few incidents between EP and SoR (on both sides) where people start unnecessary shit just for the sake of it. SoR welcomed EP members into their ranks whilst EP was down. SoR and EP are affiliates, so please don't let this thread degenerate into "a which is best argument."

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah, starting shit for no reason is kinda pointless

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 160 Posts
    EP Points

imho,if by any bad luck, snesorama can`t go active again,they should merge with emuparadise, that would be the perfect retro-site,besides we already have good ppl from SoR (adm-mod-Jackhammer,Destrudo,Scattman, Supreme Warrior [left dunno why], today i saw two posts from Gladiator). just an opinion. "Emu~oramaforums.org" ºoº'

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    There has been a few incidents between EP and SoR (on both sides) where people start unnecessary shit just for the sake of it. SoR welcomed EP members into their ranks whilst EP was down. SoR and EP are affiliates, so please don't let this thread degenerate into "a which is best argument."
    This almost always happens with any boards that are providing the same services. You will have people that joined one site first so they are on that side and vice versa. It's silly. Like I say about trade boards, use them all, it can't hurt and increases your chances of getting what you want. Though I did quit using CAG ages ago. Probably because no one ever trades there. :/

Anyway, a bit off topic so I better just stop myself here. I never actually went to Snes-o-rama. The truth is I only joined this site to mess with my brother and stayed for all the wonderful forum members. I don't really emulate much if any.

Edit: I buy games, yes even old games that are way more expensive than they should be. It's dreadful.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 18th-February-2012 at 21:44.

Thanks
    EP Points

I never signed up to Snesorama (or I may have, but as far as I can remember I never actually posted), but I'll miss the site for its encyclopedia of Japanese titles and its large range of games in other languages. My obsession with foreign languages means it's rare that I'm actually looking for a game in English these days, so a source like that was pretty invaluable to me. I doubt many of their uploaders will see this, but thanks for everything if you do. I only regret that I didn't grab more while I had the chance.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar1983 View Post
    The survival of EP just became that much more important. R.I.P, SOR.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって