Thread: Dune 2 on DOSBox 0.74 Crashes at a certain point.

Thanks

Default Dune 2 on DOSBox 0.74 Crashes at a certain point.

Okay, I'm new here, sorry if this has been asked a thousand times or something. Here's my system specs:

TOSHIBA
    Satellite L305
    InsydeH20 Version 1.60
    Genuine Intel(R) CPU 585 @2.16GHz, ~2.2GHz
    1916MB RAM
    1655MB used, 2424MB available
    DirectX 11

Vista 32 bit

I can give the display info too if you need it.

My problem is in DOSBox 0.74, I'm running Dune 2 (The Building Of A Dynasty (1992)(Westwood Studios)) and the game will crash after the first mission. I get to the point where it goes to the cutscene and you chose the next piece of territory to invade, and MENTAT says that there is a traitor and he is questioning everyone including you! And he asks something like what is the armor level of this vehicle (or something along those lines) and you have to type in a number. He asks about 4 or 5 questions like that I think, and then the game crashes and it goes back to the main DOSBox screen.

I have only changed one thing in the DOSBox options file. The keyboard layout. I changed it from auto to dv103 (for DVORAK layout). But for some reason it wouldn't work in-game though...

Anyway, that's all I can think of at the moment. I'm pretty new to this stuff, especially DOSBox, but I'm not completely computer illiterate either! Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks

To be truthful; it's been a while since I played it but I don't recall any issues of Dune 2 freezing or crashing.

If you wish, you could download Dune 2 from the link below. Extract it (it'll create it's own folder). Locate folder on your PC and within, double-click on the file called !start - Dune2 will automatically start in windowed mode (press Alt + Enter to switch to full screen). This zipped file contains DOSbox and the necessary dll files.

Link: Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Note: btw, this is the first time I've ever uploaded anything to a file host so hope it works!

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

This error has nothing to do with hardware problems. Your experiencing first-hand Dune 2's copy protection (isn't it fun!) Anyway, in order to answer the questions and get past this, you'll need the instruction manual. Here's the instruction manual http://www.fileplanet.com/219365/download/Dune-2-Manual. Have fun
    Last edited by technoman; 13th-February-2012 at 21:21.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to technoman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by technoman View Post
    This error has nothing to do with hardware problems. Your experiencing first-hand Dune 2's copy protection (isn't it fun!) Anyway, in order to answer the questions and get past this, you'll need the instruction manual. Here's the instruction manual http://www.replacementdocs.com/request.php?1682. Have fun
    Well, shoot. I can't believe I didn't figure that out! Shows how long ago I last played that.... nice one technoman.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to muppetboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This error has nothing to do with hardware problems. Your experiencing first-hand Dune 2's copy protection (isn't it fun!) Anyway, in order to answer the questions and get past this, you'll need the instruction manual. Here's the instruction manual http://www.fileplanet.com/219365/download/Dune-2-Manual. Have fun
    Oh, wow, how clever of them! I am sure that is what it is now too, thanks so much! Lol.

Any idea how to get the DVORAK keyboard layout to work in-game now? I got it working in DOSBox, just not in the game itself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by computer_doob View Post
    Oh, wow, how clever of them! I am sure that is what it is now too, thanks so much! Lol.

Any idea how to get the DVORAK keyboard layout to work in-game now? I got it working in DOSBox, just not in the game itself.
    Not really. I just use the default layout. Why did you change yours?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muppetboy View Post
    To be truthful; it's been a while since I played it but I don't recall any issues of Dune 2 freezing or crashing.

If you wish, you could download Dune 2 from the link below. Extract it (it'll create it's own folder). Locate folder on your PC and within, double-click on the file called !start - Dune2 will automatically start in windowed mode (press Alt + Enter to switch to full screen). This zipped file contains DOSbox and the necessary dll files.

Link: Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Note: btw, this is the first time I've ever uploaded anything to a file host so hope it works!

Let me know how you get on.
    Thanks by the way!

Thanks

Not really. I just use the default layout. Why did you change yours?
    I don't use QWERTY anymore. DVORAK is the superior keyboard layout and I re-trained myself to type using it instead of QWERTY. Look it up on Wikipedia or something if you've never heard of it. It's pretty interesting I think.

Thanks

Does any1 knows how to play Dune 2 on winuae emulator? I manage to start till intro video, and after intro it switches to choose english and that is it.