Thread: Need help with choosing the most stable PSP emulator

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Need help with choosing the most stable PSP emulator

I am needing to know which PSP emulator is the most stable and is known to have worked with most ISO/CSO/UMD image ROMS. I also am needing to know how I can get a PSP emulator to behave like an actual PSP system. I'd like to try to experiment with the PSP emulator that has the best stability and handles most ROMS with little or no problems. Please let me know if there is any possible way of me doing this. Also tell me if I need and type of hardware for my laptop PC. My laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium and has an Intel Celeron Dual core processor. I already have JPSCP and had some issues as far as ROM handling. I need suggestions on this. I also need to know what type of screwdriver to use to open my PSP to access the microSD card thats inside that contains the internal memory and the operating platform itself. I also need to know how to hack the firmware and unbrick it. The firmware version on my PSP is 6.3 it was the second firmware version after the last 5x firmware version was released. I will give you the actual firmware version when I get home from college. I would like to develop a PSP emulator that actually has the PSP menu that you come to when no UMD is in the PSP disc drive.
    Matthew E. Roomsburg
    Autistic, Genius, Computer/emulation geek, Web designer
    Visit my page www.matthewroomsburg.yolasite.com
    Its true that I have autism.

I am now a technical intern for the Murphy USA corporation
    and visit my profile http://www.epforums.org/member.php?1...thew-Roomsburg
    I now have an emulation field support page: http://www.epforums.org/group.php?groupid=132

Thanks
    EP Points

Psst! Disc Images are called ISOs, Cartridge images are called ROMs

JPCSP is the only viable emulator, and it is still initial stages of development. Emulating the PSP is not anywhere near 1:1 yet. You can get the latest official version Here or Here. You can get the latest revision Here.
    Please look through this thread (the one that is at the very top of the Sony Systems section ). In order to know if your computer can run the games effectively, we need to know the clock speeds of your CPU ('processor') in GHz and the available video memory in your Graphics card.

In order to unbrick your PSP we need more information. What model of PSP do you have? What caused it to brick? Is it a 'half/semi' brick (when you turn the PSP on, the background comes up but not the XMB/XMB Freezes on start-up/Only a black screen appears when you turn it on, but you can hear the sounds when you press the D-pad)? Or a full brick (when you turn it on, the screen stays black, and you hear no sounds)?
    If it is a semi-brick, you can use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. If it is a full brick, you will have to buy a Pandora Battery (or make one, but that requires either a working PSP with CFW on it or knowledge of cutting and soldering) and a Magic Memory Stick (which you can make just by downloading the software and putting it on your MemStick, but you will need to find a way to connect your MemStick to your computer).

I'm sure you can find guides for opening a PSP online.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 11th-February-2012 at 22:13.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'll try experimenting with the emulator. My computer processor is an Intel Celeron dual core T3500 at 2.10 and 2.9 GHz. RAM is 3 GB. my PSP is a model 3001. My PC video adapter is an Intel Mobile 4 series express chip set. My system has 4.13 GB of virtual memory
    Matthew E. Roomsburg
    Autistic, Genius, Computer/emulation geek, Web designer
    Visit my page www.matthewroomsburg.yolasite.com
    Its true that I have autism.

I am now a technical intern for the Murphy USA corporation
    and visit my profile http://www.epforums.org/member.php?1...thew-Roomsburg
    I now have an emulation field support page: http://www.epforums.org/group.php?groupid=132

Thanks
    EP Points

Although there is no harm in trying, experimenting may turn out to be a waste of time. Albeit, the only other option is to wait for updates, or program it yourself so

Alright, because I am not entirely sure about how the Front Side Bus operates, all I can guarantee you is that most games should be at a 'playable' (20-40 FPS) speed. Although your machine may be able to handle at lest some games at full speed (50-60 FPS).

The PSP model is a start, but I still need to know the answers to my other questions (What happens when you turn on the PSP? If you get a black screen when you turn it on, then it is a full brick.)... Actually, never mind. I don't think you can unbrick even a semi-bricked PSP 3000, let alone a full-brick. I'm really sorry, man. What did you try to do?

Oh, and since you were interested in a PSP emulator that emulates the XMB, then there is PSPE (that is the latest version I can find). It was made to only run Hombrew, but it may be able to play singed games.

Again, I'm really sorry about your PSP. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

EDIT:
    Wait, if you want to know how to 'hack and unbrick it'... Did you already attempt to hack it, and it bricked? Or have you not attempted to hack it, and want to know how to unbrick it just in case, or simply in-general?

Installing PRO CFW is the easiest way to hack any PSP, and you can use PSARDumper to get and decrypt many of the PSP's system files.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 5th-February-2012 at 04:44.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC