Thread: [PSP] Simplest way to enable homebrew?

Thanks
    EP Points

Question [PSP] Simplest way to enable homebrew?

Greetings, fellow forum members.

I'm posting here because I'm thinking about buying a used PSP, mainly for retro emulation on the go. I'm considering the 2000, because the 1000 isn't readily available in my local area, and it seems to be the best combination of features and mod-ability (plus the slimmer profile takes up less space in a suitcase). However, I don't know much about PSP modding, and I have a couple of questions...

NOTE: Please, only answer if you've had hands-on, personal experience with PSP modding and homebrew. Smart-arsed comments are OK, as long as some useful info accompanies them. Thankyouverymuch.

1. Aside from the PSP Phat (1000), which model is best for modding/homebrew?

2. Are Pandora Batteries, Magic Memory Sticks and CFW still necessary, now that homebrew can be "signed" to run as official software?

3. What are the pros and cons of CFW vs. "signing" apps?

Thanks in advance, guys.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar1983 View Post
    1. Aside from the PSP Phat (1000), which model is best for modding/homebrew?
    2000, 3000, and GO?

2. Are Pandora Batteries, Magic Memory Sticks and CFW still necessary, now that homebrew can be "signed" to run as official software?
    Well, that depends on what kind homebrew you want to use, since not all of them can be signed and run perfectly on OFW.

3. What are the pros and cons of CFW vs. "signing" apps?
    Let just say, CFW let you to play backup games without size limitation, having wide selection of homebrews/apps, and so on.
    Of course the con is the risk of bricking, but that won't happen if you did everything right.

"Signing" apps?(what? fake np?)
    Like I said, not everything can be signed, especially those that require kernel access.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to meganova For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

meganova already covered anything, so I'm just gonna throw in my opinion here:

IMO get 2000. It can easily be perma-hacked, and there are lots and lots of homebrew and emulators for it (as in, tested and working on it).

CFW is better by miles. If you're trying to do retro gaming, cfw is a must (IMO).

Pandora batteries are necessary if you want to get cfw installed (At least in 2000). You can buy them, or you can make them if you have a friend who's got a PSP1000. You can make them by yourself if you don't have any friends with PSP1000 and buying is not an option, but it requires some soldering.

I don't have much information on GO, if it can be permanently hacked, get that. iirc it just has temporary hacks though.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gezegond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

If you are going to stick to only signed for OFW, then any model will do. If you want to hack it though, the early 2000 (2g/V2, not 3g/V3) and 1000 are the only ones that are "fully hackable/flashable". Installing CFW on a 1000 is about as risky as updating the OFW.

You do not need a Pandora battery to install CFW. Both TN-Hen (Homebrew Enabler), and PRO CFW can be ran/installed simply by putting them into the GAME folder, then running them from the XMB.
    ...And a Magic Mem Stick is used to unbrick a fully bricked PSP

Like meganova said, you can simply do more with your PSP if you have CFW. Like Plugins. Those things are awesome .
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alakazander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Alakazander View Post
    You do not need a Pandora battery to install CFW
    oh yes. my mistake.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for your replies, Gezegond and Alakazander. A used PSP-2000 looks like the way to go, for me. Just hope I can avoid the v3 motherboard...

Most of the websites I've browsed say that any PSP-2000 with a serial # less than HU2xxxxxx is fully hackable, and will take CFW. Some have also said that certain PSP's above this number are not *fully* hackable, but can somehow be hacked (unclear on their methods, tho). However, any PSP-2000 with a serial # of HU2249999 or above has the v3 motherboard, and cannot take CFW.

Does that sound right to everyone here?
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".

Thanks
    EP Points

Don't rely on those serials, if you want more accurate info, try to identify the Datecode, and if it shows anything that is 8A or 8B(not 8C or 8D), then it is likely a v2 motherboard.

or the firmware PSP came with, 3.95 and below is sure to have v2 and v1 mobo. More than that, v3 mobo is more likely, unless the firmware was updated (4.01 has both v2 and v3 mobo).

or better, run a mobo identifier on it, like PSPIdent.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to meganova For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by meganova View Post
    run a mobo identifier on it, like PSPIdent.
    He won't be able to do that unless he buys the PSP and hack it, but then it would be too late for him if it's not the right one. Going by meganova's information, you can ask the guy what firmware was on the PSP when he bought it (if you're buying through ebay or the likes where you have access to the previous user). If he doesn't know, you can ask him when he bought his PSP. 3.95 was released on April 07,2008. That means that if the PSP was originally bought before that, it's most likely v1 or v2.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    He won't be able to do that unless he buys the PSP and hack it, but then it would be too late for him if it's not the right one.
    Well, obviously he can't.

But, surely he can ask the shopkeeper few things about it(running homebrew, etc) before buying, unless he buys it from online though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for the tip on the date code, Meganova. I'll be sure to check that also.

Date codes 7C, 7D, 8A, and 8B should all be good, right?

Thanks
    EP Points

Date codes 7C, 7D, 8A, and 8B should all be good, right?
    Yep.