Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 720 will have Blu-Ray/Horrible new second hand measures in the pipeline?

Thanks
    EP Points

I was reading about this yesterday. I have to say it is cool the next xbox will be using Blu-Ray discs. Though this anti used-games system is really not good. I hope they don't implement it. They'll drive away a lot of customers. I buy a lot of my games used. I can't afford to buy new games. Sometimes I wait until its cheap enough to buy new, but sometimes, its cheaper to buy used, even after a new game is cheap enough to buy.

Thanks

The daily poll on gamefaqs talked about it, and over half of the votes went to people saying they would never even buy a console that blocked used games. Even if you only buy new games, sometimes you want to borrow or lend games, not to mention that things like gamestop and gamefly (which I will never use, I like to own games forever) would probably go out of business. I've been buying games mostly new off of amazon, because most games used from gamestop have so many scratches they wont even load, not to mention no original case and manual, although I have been given new games twice at gamestop when buying used (why is that?). I don't even see why it matters, the best games will still sell millions of new copies, and for the people who buy used games, that game had to be bought by someone in the first place to be traded back in and sold used, thus the company still gets paid, but only for the new ones.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

@TRS: Just buy the same thing used.

I suppose if you are playing a game that comes with dlc/online codes you don't get as good of a value but otherwise that's a pro plan. Might as well wait on big releases anyway, usually the budget release will come with a bunch of the dlc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The whole thing about blocking used game sales is an incredibly short sighted concept; what happens when a game goes out of print? What if the game gets a limited run? Unless you start releasing every game as a downloadable, you're basically robbing everybody who comes after a tiny, narrow little window of time the ability to enjoy games.

Of course they don't care; they just want you to buy the nest Call of Duty that comes out year after year. Screw your ability to find gems that you've never heard of a year or two after they stop the print run of the game, just play more Madden and like it, you stupid consumer. You don't know what you like, they do.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aeolus Aeneas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    The whole thing about blocking used game sales is an incredibly short sighted concept; what happens when a game goes out of print? What if the game gets a limited run? Unless you start releasing every game as a downloadable, you're basically robbing everybody who comes after a tiny, narrow little window of time the ability to enjoy games.

Of course they don't care; they just want you to buy the nest Call of Duty that comes out year after year. Screw your ability to find gems that you've never heard of a year or two after they stop the print run of the game, just play more Madden and like it, you stupid consumer. You don't know what you like, they do.
    I could not have said this better myself.

+1

It also limits their sale potential and the ability to expand franchises imo. Sometimes a game doesn't become popular until it goes oop. Sometimes this leads to another print run and possibly sequels.

Thanks

First off. "Xbox 720" sounds like a fucking stupid name and I honestly doubt they would block used games and if they did oh well. The system would insta fail

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by unnoticedninja View Post
    most games used from gamestop have so many scratches they wont even load, not to mention no original case and manual
    While you occasionally run into this, it is far, far from "most".

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    While you occasionally run into this, it is far, far from "most".
    I have actually never ran into this problem, but that being said I would probably not buy a game unless it came with at least the case.

Thanks

I buy maybe one game a year at this point so this is no big deal to me. I think it is pretty stupid, but something tells me it is not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    You guy are welcome anytime We have bowling and Steak & Shake. Bring beer. I like beer.

Thanks
    EP Points

I can see the point in anti-piracy measures, but anti-USED? Come ON.

Since my N64 days, I've bought 90% of my games used, the other 10% on clearance sale from department stores. Lately, job opportunities for me in my local market have been scarce, so I had to buy my last new console (Wii) used at GameStop. If not for the used console/game market, I would have given up gaming and played the ones I already owned... until that's no longer allowed.

If software were more accessible to the people (less expensive), there would be less piracy. People pirate software when they can't afford to buy it. Period. End of story. How many rich people do you know that pirate stuff just for kicks?
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockstar1983 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    I have actually never ran into this problem, but that being said I would probably not buy a game unless it came with at least the case.
    Well you see it in a generic case with no manual all the time. And no original case artwork or in the case of older games inserts = disc only basically. I've never received a brutally damaged game from Gamestop though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Well you see it in a generic case with no manual all the time. And no original case artwork or in the case of older games inserts = disc only basically. I've never received a brutally damaged game from Gamestop though.
    I (almost, there are rare occasions) always manage to get original box and manual. Just need to spend a little time checking the cases

Thanks
    EP Points

YAY smaller controller!

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Oh I never buy unless it's all there.

Most of the titles I look for there will only be one at that Gamestop location. The perils of niche gaming!

Thanks
    EP Points

I can't see this coming to fruition, honestly. There were similar rumblings before the PS3 was released and nothing came of it. It's always possible of course, but I'd be shocked to see it happen, especially when it's guaranteed to piss off pretty much every game store the world over. Which isn't a smart idea when they're stocking your consoles and software, as well as that of your competitors. So yeah, unless Microsoft are planning to go purely for digital distribution and cut out the middle man altogether (which is highly unlikely if the part about the Blu-ray drive is true) I think they're going to have a hard time implementing this.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cosmic For This Useful Post: