Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 720 will have Blu-Ray/Horrible new second hand measures in the pipeline?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Xbox 720 will have Blu-Ray/Horrible new second hand measures in the pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Kotaku
    Microsoft will upgrade its disc technology for its next Xbox from DVDs to Blu-Ray discs, catching up to rival Sony, games industry sources tell Kotaku.

Sony's PlayStation 3 currently supports Blu-Ray, which can contain 25 or 50GB of data compared to DVD's 9GB.
    I have no problem with this. Dual layer DVDs really are lagging behind. But hopefully Microsoft can get a 4x or faster Bluray drive out there so the new Xbox won't suffer horrible loading times like on PS3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotaku
    But that disc detail could be far less impactful to the next generation of game consoles than the assertion I've heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their so-called Xbox 720.
    It's not clear if that means that the system wouldn't play used games or how such a set-up would work. Obvious approaches—I'm theorizing here—like linking a copy of a game to a specific Xbox Live account could seemingly be foiled by used-game owners who would keep their system offline. My source wasn't sure how Microsoft intended to implement any anti-used game system in the new machine.

A push in any way by Microsoft against used games would likely be cheered from publishers sick of seeing retailers like GameStop crow about their revenues from the sale of used games. But it could potentially anger consumers who rely on buying cheaply-sold used games or even pass games to relatives or friends.

One source familiar with Microsoft's plans for the new Xbox said Microsoft plans to ship their new Xbox with a new version of its red-hot Kinect hands-free sensor system. The new Kinect would contain an on-board processor, a feature originally intended for the first Kinect. That processor would enable a new Kinect to more effectively detect users' motions.

I'm also hearing that Microsoft is interested in making a smaller controller for its new console.

And what of gaming site IGN's report that the machine could be six times more powerful than the Xbox 360? From some industry sources I'm hearing that that's the right ballpark and that Microsoft is estimating they might even get to 8x the Xbox 360. But another insider clarified that no one in the industry has development kits yet and that any talk about specs right now is still hypothetical.

[UPDATE: A Microsoft rep e-mailed me the following statement: "As an innovator we're always thinking about what is next and how we can push the boundaries of technology like we did with Kinect. We believe the key to extending the lifespan of a console is not just about the console hardware, but about the games and entertainment experiences being delivered to consumers. Beyond that we don't comment on rumors or speculation."]

"Xbox 720" is being used as shorthand by reporters like me to refer to the next Xbox. It's not necessarily the name of the next device. Tech sites Semi Accurate and Fudzilla have reported that the first chips for 720 development kits are going into production, leading to a possible late 2013 release despite my earlier reporting which had pointed to 2014 as the year of the next Xbox and PlayStation.

Nintendo's next console, the Wii U, will go on sale later this year.
    Source: http://kotaku.com/5879202/sources-th...oduce-kinect-2

This part is worrying though. Although I can see their point, second hand games killing profits etc.

Discuss?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

My first thought was that I'm glad I love my classic games. That sounds like so much BS I don't even want to be involved.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

...My gosh. I have about 25 Xbox 360 games. TWO of them I bought new. I just can't afford to buy new games. ;-; In fact, I shop at Gamestop for used games so much that I payed to get a PRO account for their rewards program. One of my best investments, too.

I certainly hope they don't include any anti-used bullshit. That would be a complete deal breaker for me. I don't care WHAT they release on it.

EDIT: One of those new games, Skyrim, I actually got for Christmas. The other, Portal 2, my brother bought. So... I've actually NEVER bought a brand new 360 game (except for Powergig since it went on sale for like $20 bucks with full band pack. That was my first game, but it wasn't bought at the price of a new game, really. So I don't count that). Meaning I would probably be stuck with one game for my first year or two with a 720 (Not to mention, it has to cost, like, a thousand dollars if it's going to be 6, or even 8 times more powerful than a 360).
    Last edited by Busterthefox; 26th-January-2012 at 13:46.
    - Lots of cliché pictures, "cards" and quotes here -
    - Random GIF image here -
    - Custom user graphic here -

Thanks
    EP Points

It's like they're begging people to mod their consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Busterthefox View Post
    ...My gosh. I have about 25 Xbox 360 games. TWO of them I bought new. I just can't afford to buy new games. ;-;
    PS4, get that.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PS4 will be even worse, because SONY hates that filthy scum they call customers.

Them and their horrible, disgusting money.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aeolus Aeneas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To me it looks like there's a serial within the game that will register online and then linking to the account. Kind of like the Online Pass in EA games. They want consoles to become more like PCs with all these piracy measures. Basically, you waste money on a game, you're screwed.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks
    EP Points

Brazil is in trouble. We don't buy original, much less used original. We'll be using the 360 for more 4 to 5 years, like we did with the PS2.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    PS4 will be even worse, because SONY hates that filthy scum they call customers.

Well, PS3 didn't even have region protection. We can hope they continue that trend.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

If I have to be honest, anti second hand measures don't affect me, I only get new games, not that I pay full price for them but I don't mind waiting some months before playing a game if I'm getting a cheaper brand new product. But yeah, if they end up setting this kind of measures many customers (cos purchasing the hardware makes you a customer even if you don't get too much software) and franchises we all know will be hurt. That unless, for some reason, it implied cheaper games on release, which we all know it's not going to happen, even less considering it's a new system, developing games for new systems is anything but cheap.

Thanks

To be honest, while they've said this I don't think they'll actually carry it out. There's no easy way for them to set it up, unless they use serial codes like a lot of PC games need, but these can just be generate with key gens which will be made eventually anyway. Also I think there will be too much of an outcry both from retailers and the Xbox community... they'll see how many customers that they will more than likely lose to Sony and scrap the idea anyway.

Here's hoping anyway...
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful" - Eric Thomas

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by fletch254 View Post
    To be honest, while they've said this I don't think they'll actually carry it out. There's no easy way for them to set it up, unless they use serial codes like a lot of PC games need, but these can just be generate with key gens which will be made eventually anyway. Also I think there will be too much of an outcry both from retailers and the Xbox community... they'll see how many customers that they will more than likely lose to Sony and scrap the idea anyway.

Here's hoping anyway...
    Not true at all since there's no way to generate keys for online passes, Playstation network money cards, Xbox Live Gold cards and Microsoft Point cards...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fletch254 View Post

Here's hoping anyway...
    Exactly, the easiest way for them to do it without costing them a fortune would be through serial codes which would then be up to the developers to upkeep. It almost seems like its an idea thats set up to fail.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post

Dick mode

@cookie: Yeah I rarely buy new myself. If they implemented something crazy I don't know if I'd get the console. It would take a lot of exclusives to tempt me assuming Sony didn't pull similar shit.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Dick mode

@cookie: Yeah I rarely buy new myself. If they implemented something crazy I don't know if I'd get the console. It would take a lot of exclusives to tempt me assuming Sony didn't pull similar shit.
    I wish this was me, generally in every vein of my life, I am an incredibly impulsive buyer. But I think this coming generation I'm going to try to hold off.

Thanks

@Inferno I guess so yeah, but the rest of my point still stands, there's no EASY way to implement it and customers and sales will definitely drop if it goes through
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful" - Eric Thomas