Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Operation Black March

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok, it seems I'm a bit misunderstood here. I'm not the OP. I don't agree with OP. I'm not trying to prove that what's said in OP's pic is right. I'm not trying to get anyone to agree with me. I'm just having a good time discussing this with thoughtful people. I think if you care enough to post in this thread, you're worth talking to. The whole point of forums is to discuss things, and that's what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I don't think I ever said I discourage people from doing it, you are assuming it and using negative adjectives to qualify those who don't agree with you. I won't do that but I'll insist that I consider it pointless, the message is futile and meaningless if this only means postponing any eventual purchase to April.
    I didn't mean you, I used your quote because you mentioned "some of us", I meant that. The last sentence was some form of joke. I don't want anyone to agree with me. I'm simply discussing this. Knightshade said that he believed that "the message" would be pointless, I was trying to state the reasons I believe otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by foggy_han View Post
    But we are not idiots... are we?
    I didn't say you are.
    That does not mean I have to agree or not, or comment every aspect of your posts.
    I didn't say you have to comment every aspect of my posts. You quoted my words, then posted an idea I had already talked about, without adding anything to it. That made me think that you had not read my post. What was the point of your post, then?
    Yes. It is a matter of belief in the end. Logic is not really absolute.
    There can be opposing arguments and both of them being "logical".
    That's illogical thinking my friend. Mathematics do not approve!
    Anyway, there is more life beyond this. You know, I am more worried at the moment about the health of my quite old dog who has been sick lately.
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    But if it makes you happier, know that I will not buy anything in March because I have no money to. Nor March nor any other months. So in the end, despite of my wishes, I will be indirectly supporting the cause.
    I didn't say you should not buy stuff in march. That's the kind of comment that make me think you have not read my post. I've said a couple of times that this will most likely not work anyway, and I also went into so much trouble to state why I believe it's important to spread the word anyway. You even quoted my words:
    Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    The problem here is that some people believe that even if this succeeds, it would be pointless. I'm saying spreading the word would not be pointless, because it educates people.
    I said spread the word, because it educates people. I don't understand how or why you thought I was trying to tell you whether to buy stuff in March or not.

OK, I'll restate my beliefs another time:
    1-I don't think this would work. (not enough people)
    2-I don't think this would have any effect whatsoever even if it did work. (people will still buy the stuff in April)
    3-I believe that spreading the word is effective, because:

1-It educates people. (They would understand the situation, as we do)
    2-It might have some form of effect in the far future. (If this information is spread enough, people would begin to spend their money more wisely)

I'll stop posting for now, because I've already done my reasoning and stated my beliefs. That was my thoughts on this particular subject. I hope you liked it. If you didn't, well I hope you find something else to like.
    Last edited by gezegond; 27th-January-2012 at 18:22.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    I'm not really optimistic about this either, but I don't see why it should stop you from at least spreading the word. Just post it in some other forum you know. Maybe one that's not game related. Post it in your facebook/tweeter/social network. It would probably take you 5 minutes, and it might have some effect. If it didn't, you have just lost about 5 minutes of your life.

@Knightshade: I'm gonna have to disagree. If enough people do it, it WILL have effect. Those companies think their customers are mindless people who will buy anything that they throw at them. If this succeeds, it will show them otherwise.

Unfortunately, most customers ARE mindless people. That however, can change if you spread the word. The chances of this particular stunt in March having any effect is extremely low, but if you keep informing people about this, it would probably make some difference in the long run. Changing the way multi billion dollar companies operate is no easy task, it will take time.

Most of you have admitted that the situation is not good and that this companies are abusing the lack of knowledge of their customers at least to some extent. Yet, you're not willing to even spend 5 minutes of your life to do something about it? I don't know if it's being extremely lazy, extremely ignorant, or a megajerk.
    I have spread the word on 3 different tech related(not gaming related) forums as well as my facebook but I am doubting one month is going to have any affect what so ever on these companies as I said previously I think that most of these companies know this is going to happen and are not trifled by it in the slightest or have some form of counter measure in place ex. they could release mass effect three at $35 for one month only instead of the 59.99 msrp price that would make some of the people that are going to attempt this to think twice or even back out completely.

I said spread the word, because it educates people. I don't understand how or why you thought I was trying to tell you whether to buy stuff in March or not.

OK, I'll restate my beliefs another time:
    1-I don't think this would work. (not enough people)
    2-I don't think this would have any effect whatsoever even if it did work. (people will still buy the stuff in April)
    3-I believe that spreading the word is effective, because:

1-It educates people. (They would understand the situation, as we do)
    2-It might have some form of effect in the far future. (If this information is spread enough, people would begin to spend their money more wisely)

I'll stop posting for now, because I've already done my reasoning and stated my beliefs. That was my thoughts on this particular subject. I hope you liked it. If you didn't, well I hope you find something else to like.
    didn't see that before I made this post I don't think spreading the word will do much good for the reasons I listed but as you can see I have done so regardless in the hopes I'm proven wrong.
    and I do apologize for I myself misunderstood your post as I thought you were supporting his OP as in this will make a difference so don't buy anything my bad man.
    Last edited by Knightshade; 27th-January-2012 at 19:44.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    It's pointless to stop purchasing things in March when you are going to get them in April..
    Pretty much this. Really, all this boycott would end up being, if it happens, is some dick-waving saying "look at what would happen without us! (but we won't really leave you, just saying IF we did, yeah...)."

Of course, no one's acknowledging the fact that a boycott should last as long as it takes to make things change, not just one month. Imagine if boycotters in the past started things by saying "oh we're going to make a fuss about this, but only for a month." If you want a change, refuse to buy or download anything at all until all these bills are burned, no matter how long it takes. And don't wait a month to start, start now.

I have very little faith it would ever happen, but THAT'S how you boycott. If the entertainment industry won't support us, then we don't support the entertainment industry.

(Now, I'm not saying pirating should be permitted/ignored, I do understand their worries and anger, but censorship and abusing their power isn't an answer to the problem that I can get behind.)

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiotori View Post
    If any of you can't understand the big idea after this month, then don't even bother trying to. All I ask is that you kindly pass it along and maybe it will fall upon thoughtful minds.
    I'm not trolling by saying this, just giving some polite advice: claiming that people who disagree with your viewpoints are incapable of understanding them is a weak argument that does little sway anyone in your favor.

Edited because I just threw the phrase "free-speech" in there as an easy filler, when really I don't think it fits.
    Last edited by Devi; 27th-January-2012 at 19:51.

Thanks

In march i will buy tales of graces, i wait for this game since 1 years, so sorry.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Lol, don't apologise bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Devi View Post
    Pretty much this. Really, all this boycott would end up being, if it happens, is some dick-waving saying "look at what would happen without us! (but we won't really leave you, just saying IF we did, yeah...)."

Of course, no one's acknowledging the fact that a boycott should last as long as it takes to make things change, not just one month. Imagine if boycotters in the past started things by saying "oh we're going to make a fuss about this, but only for a month." If you want a change, refuse to buy or download anything at all until all these bills are burned, no matter how long it takes. And don't wait a month to start, start now.

I have very little faith it would ever happen, but THAT'S how you boycott. If the entertainment industry won't support us, then we don't support the entertainment industry.
    Agreed entirely. And yeah I don't see that kind of boycott happening.

(Now, I'm not saying pirating should be permitted/ignored, I do understand their worries and anger, but censorship and abusing their power isn't an answer to the problem that I can get behind.)
    This site is a pirate site.

I'm not trolling by saying this, just giving some polite advice: claiming that people who disagree with your viewpoints are incapable of understanding them is a weak argument that does little sway anyone in your favor.
    It's a troll argument/point and a total cop out in general.

Thanks

This is a bad idea because it calls for the boycott of electronic entertainment products regardless of who made them. If it were to gain serious support, it would not only slightly damage the out of control giant companies who support these laws, but also ones like Google who are against them. While one month of lower sales wouldn't destroy a giant, it would certainly ruin many small struggling businesses who oppose these laws and definitely don't deserve a boycott. Black March needs to edit this flyer ASAP to include a list of companies who actually supported SOPA/PIPA etc. I pointed this out already on the few forums I frequent, but not many seem to be be mentioning it elsewhere, so please, if you agree with me, point it out wherever possible.

Instead of damaging companies who opposed these laws for one month, what is needed is an initiative to encourage people to always vote with their wallets, not to just act about these few laws. Whether it's a game or a washing machine, the buyer should always keep in mind things like the distributor's and the developer's corporate behavior, political activity and environmental record. With how many corporations are large enough to basically own entire governments and bend laws to their will, I'd go as far as to say that voting by choosing what you pay for is the only way to vote anymore. And before anyone points it out, yes, I am a hypocrite. I'm wearing reebok's pants right now and using a PC to type this on, of which most parts were probably made by disposable starving workers in China or wherever. I don't think it's even possible to convince more than a small fraction of consumers to think more about this, but it still seems worth spreading.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brut View Post
    This is a bad idea because it calls for the boycott of electronic entertainment products regardless of who made them. If it were to gain serious support, it would not only slightly damage the out of control giant companies who support these laws, but also ones like Google who are against them.
    In Google.com's updated privacy policy, we can see that they are not "against them."

We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
    This is why I will no longer use Google.com and I urge all of you to boycott Google.com, as well.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    This site is a pirate site.
    I don't have any clue what you're talking about. I only read this for the articles come here for the conversation.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't have any clue what you're talking about. I only read this for the articles come here for the conversation.
    But of course!

@skullpoker: I've been using duckduckdo for awhile, what are you using?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I've been using duckduckdo for awhile
    This seems really awesome. But since it's based in US, doesn't mean that they still have to give out the information if the government request it? They just don't give it out to ad services. And how does the website generate revenue if they don't use ads at all? Wikipedia says it's advertising-supported.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't know. If we go full apocalypse I might use Xerobank.

Thanks
    EP Points

... there are ALOT of quotes here...

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    ... there are ALOT of quotes here...
    i know right - its making my head hurt reading all this....and me quoting you doesn't help either

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

not 100% sure that google can't get my ip info from a Dogpile.com search query, but that's what I've been using now. It queries a lot of other engines like yahoo, google, others...

My main concern here is to keep any questionable searches off of google.com, but I am also staying away to keep them from getting paid for my hits. I think google gets a query from dogpile instead of from my address, which doesn't keep them from getting paid for the link.

If anybody has info to the contrary or other search engines that are more isolated from Google/major outlets, please respond?

Does TORpark work only with your browser, or can it redirect torrent/eMule ip? I found a separate ip scrubber for Torrents, but it's a product, not freeware/shareware. I didn't even bother to remember the name.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 29th-January-2012 at 03:04.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

no, you quoting me is more ironic than if i quoted someone else in my initial post

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean