Thread: WD Elements and High Performance 2.5 Sata HDD's (PS3 / 360 Users may find this handy)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thumbs up WD Elements and High Performance 2.5 Sata HDD's (PS3 / 360 Users may find this handy)

So I was looking for a larger hard drive for my laptop, the 120GB one I had was really not doing much for me as well I felt it was constantly full, and a mail came in from one of the local online PC Stores (Multicom.no) a special offer!

WD Elements 500GB 2.5 Inch external, having a quick look around it should contain a WD Caviar Blue (5400RPM 8MB Cache 500GB) I Was like, That will do me its better than my SATA150 120GB one, So I Ordered it up 2 and yesterday it came in the post

So after testing it to make sure it was fine I popped it open to find....

Instead of the Caviar Blue 5400RPM 8MB Cache they shipped it with a Scorpio Black 7200RPM 16MB Cache the High Performance drive! (Desktop Like Performance)

Now this may not go for them all out there but it seems these Scorpio Blacks are out there in the wild in some models of these externals instead of what should have been in it shown here:

http://www.devincollier.com/2010/01/...rd-drive-case/

Could be a nice space and performance boost could be had on PS3 and 360 Consoles too as well as if your looking for a larger hdd for a laptop

The Model of WD Elements I bought that may contain these Scorpio Blacks is: WDBAAR5000ABK the 4 letter code after only relates to the location (NESN = North America EESN = Europe ect ect) it is the USB 2.0 Version NOT the USB 3.0 (I Hear the USB 3.0 ones have the USB Connector intergreated onto the HDD Board like a complete unit)

Thought id share what I found and while dont hold me responsible if you end up with something else there must be more of this model out there with the good drives or maybe most of em? also this only relates to the 500GB Model, I Dont know if the 320GB or 750GB has the same, Although I'm sure you wont get a Scorpio Black outta a 1TB one as they dont do Scorpio Blacks in that size.

Take this for what you will and happy hunting!

Thanks
    EP Points

wouldn't the normal one work in PS3 as well?

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    wouldn't the normal one work in PS3 as well?
    Yes. The point of his thread was to let people know you can get the more expensive Black version of the drive, for the price of the Blue version. You know?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Yes. The point of his thread was to let people know you can get the more expensive Black version of the drive, for the price of the Blue version. You know?
    Indeed, Most seem to have the Blues but this very model seems to have the High Performance Blacks and the WD Essentials themselves are much cheaper than buying the raw black drive

(Almost 2x more here in Norway)

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah, buying it without the shell is more expensive (oddly) i bought my 2TB western Digital for $60 before the flood, and my friend got just the main for his PS3 and was only 1TB for $120

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

aye thats why I went with this method to get a new hard drive for my laptop