Thread: Future speed question for laptops on pcsx2

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Future speed question for laptops on pcsx2

I have a question regarding running pcsx2 at full speed on a laptop. It does not appear that there are currently any laptops that can run the program at full speed with all games. Only a handful of games will run full speed.

So, here is my question: when will laptops come out that are powerful enough to get a constant 60 FPS on all games with pcsx2 (and on dolphin as well, running Wii games)? It seems like processor speeds are "stuck" in the 2.6-3.2 Ghz range. It's been a while since the actual clock speeds have increased. Sure, Intel has come out with new chipsets and is going to be releasing the Ivy chipset this year, but the clock speed hasn't been improving.

Will the Ivy chipset help out at all here?

Again, this is a question regarding the future, not the present, since we already know what the current state of affairs is. What do you think?

Thanks

Hard to say but recently one of the SVN (or is it SNV) builds for pcsx2 introduced multithreading support, I'm hoping to test it soon but if it works it could make Quad core lappies decent for PS2 emulation.

It's not all on the hardware end though, some games just run slow and they will hopefully improve comparability when they get the time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pgyrund View Post
    I have a question regarding running pcsx2 at full speed on a laptop. It does not appear that there are currently any laptops that can run the program at full speed with all games. Only a handful of games will run full speed.

So, here is my question: when will laptops come out that are powerful enough to get a constant 60 FPS on all games with pcsx2 (and on dolphin as well, running Wii games)? It seems like processor speeds are "stuck" in the 2.6-3.2 Ghz range. It's been a while since the actual clock speeds have increased. Sure, Intel has come out with new chipsets and is going to be releasing the Ivy chipset this year, but the clock speed hasn't been improving.

Will the Ivy chipset help out at all here?

Again, this is a question regarding the future, not the present, since we already know what the current state of affairs is. What do you think?
    Definitely in a few years maybe in a short while when multi threading is introduced into pcsx2 lappys of now might have enough grunt. Its hard to say as pcsx2 cant fully optimize the hardware of now.